Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1987 #17 DW Tide Monte Carlo

THarrison351

This was painted without the knowledge of florescent orange paint being the correct color back in the day (1987). I had not seen this car in person and the TV did not show that it was florescent orange. Looking at photos in magazines, it looked dark orange to me. That's what I painted it. I think it was a cheap store brand paint, over Krylon grey primer. So, this car was built over 30 years ago and has followed me from coast to coast and back to the middle. It's survived relatively intact, in fact I thought the windshield had been sacrificed for another Waltrip Monte Carlo. When I started to clean it up, I found it stuck inside the interior. This one just needed a good clean and polish, the rear suspension tacked back together, and the windshield glued in. It's too bad it was painted with Testors clear enamel and has yellowed with age.

2v2HkRwg9xAVNRq.jpg

2v2HSe7qSxAVNRq.jpg

2v2HSe7NgxAVNRq.jpg

2v2HSeR2CxAVNRq.jpg

2v2HSeRUWxAVNRq.jpg

2v2HSeRJSxAVNRq.jpg

2v2HSeREVxAVNRq.jpg

2 hours ago, bbowser said:

A real survivor, still looks good.  That was one of the first cars I remember in fluorescent paint, TV didn't do it justice.

Thanks! Yeah, when I did my Ricky Rudd Tide car a few years later, I painted it florescent orange. Much brighter and matched the real car.

2v2HkRRSMxAVNRq.jpg

Edited by THarrison351

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2020 at 6:52 PM, mikemopar70 said:

Pretty clean, considering it's age!!

17 hours ago, slusher said:

A pair of nice survivors!

Thanks! I have a Fusion on the bench (2 years) I need to finish. Now that I have my room finished, I just need to get my butt in gear and finish it.