Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

• 2 weeks later...

The Hobby Lobby 40% off on all kits sale is back again this week (10/18 thru 10/25). I got the flyer in an e-mail this morning.

A few days ago, a Hobby Lobby employee told me that she thought they would be doing this kit sale every other week until Christmas.  Looks like she was right. 

4 hours ago, Mike999 said:

The Hobby Lobby 40% off on all kits sale is back again this week (10/18 thru 10/25). I got the flyer in an e-mail this morning.

A few days ago, a Hobby Lobby employee told me that she thought they would be doing this kit sale every other week until Christmas.  Looks like she was right. 

Pretty much confirms what I heard down here too. 2 different gals at two different stores told me it would be 'in the sale rotation'. Be nice if they'd get some fresh never before stocked inventory!

Christmas in October!  Stopped by the closest Hobby Lobby today and it had re-stocked, just in time for the 40% off sale.  I scored...

1. '67 Chevy Impala 4-door "Supernatural."  I got one at this store months ago and it hasn't been on the shelves since.

2.  '59 El Camino "Art Box."  Haven't seen that one on the HL shelves in a while, either. A great kit and a great parts source for updating the chassis of an original AMT/SMP'60 Elky, among other things.  The chassis is pretty well-detailed for a 1964 release, including steerable front wheels, and stuff like 4 coil springs and a separate rear sway bar. 

3.  OFF TOPIC!  The Monogram (now Revell) 1/48 scale B-25. This kit takes me back to the 1970's and Shep Paine's diorama inserts, which got many of us started building dioramas.   The latest Revell version has all the parts in the box to build a glass-nosed or gun-nosed version.

24 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

3.  OFF TOPIC!  The Monogram (now Revell) 1/48 scale B-25. This kit takes me back to the 1970's and Shep Paine's diorama inserts, which got many of us started building dioramas.   The latest Revell version has all the parts in the box to build a glass-nosed or gun-nosed version.

That's pretty cool, but which gun nose? The 75mm cannon, or the 8x.50s?

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

That's pretty cool, but which gun nose? The 75mm cannon, or the 8x.50s?

Sorry, I goofed! Didn't look closely enough at the little pictures on the box side.  This kit is the B-25J with 2 different glass noses:  a standard version with 1 machine gun, or the glass-nosed version with 5 machine guns mounted in front.  All those guns sticking out fooled me into thinking it was a solid nose.  Just looked again with my reading glasses on...?  Both aircraft are from the 345th Bomb Group "Air Apaches."

1 hour ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Picked up the '64 Plymouth Beldevere kit for $17.99 with the 40% off. Figure I'd get it since it comes with the slant 6 engine option. 

That is the nicest slant six ever done in our scale!  When Spotlight Hobbies had a release on clearance a while back I bought a case of six. The slant sixes are gold to me and the chassis fits under all the Johan sixties Mopars!

Went tonight to get another 84 GMC Deserter for a donor, almost grabbed two but figure I will get one next time. As I was looking over the shelves, someone had marked the 65 Chevy Step Side pickups at $15.99. Needed one of those for some parts so I walked to the front and after 40% off, I was out the door under $30 tax included for those two kits!

• 2 weeks later...

One of my two local stores is pretty well stocked, except for the Revell 29 that I was actually after yesterday, but the other store has had half-empty shelves for a while.

They had one of the AMT 34 truck a couple of weeks back, which I brought home - and behind it on the shelf were 3 of the same kit but in the Lindberg box.  They’ve since gone too - so it seems like they could use some more hot-rod-type kits in their range if those spots keep getting cleared fairly quickly.

Neither of the stores by me seems to be able to keep those 29s in particular on the shelves for very long...that said, I DO keep buying them when I see one, so...

Stopped by the Hobby Lobby in Easley, SC today.  It had 2 kits I've never seen in the store closest to me:  the Revell 1/24 '76 Chevy pickup and the '70 Firebird (Trans Am, even if it doesn't say so on the box).  

Like my closest store, this one had also restocked the "Art Box" AMT '59 El Camino.  People have been asking about that kit around here recently, and talking about finding one on eBay.  The retail HL price is $32.95 but the 40% off brings it down to $19.77.  A hard price to beat, especially with the cost of eBay shipping. 

i dont know if this  is posted elsewhere, but loooking at hobby lobby website, most if not all. models are on sale, no coupon needed

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/c/9-184

unfortunately, i just bought the gmc snow plow pickup before the sale. but i used the coupon, so i paid the same price. i dont think you can double up on the coupon and the sale

(i dont work for hobby lobby and i am not getting any commissions or anything. just wanted to share with my fellow modelers)

Edited by youpey