Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

9 hours ago, CabDriver said:

The shelves in the model aisle at my local store are getting really bare...I can’t tell if they’re holding back some stock so that anything new that comes in will be at the new higher price soon, or if they’re just not good at restocking the shelves lately 

I don't think the aim is to bring new stock in at a higher price. I think it's the opposite. Bring all their prices in the store lower so they don't have to incentivize with the 40% coupon. At least that's what they were implying when they announced the discontinuation of the 40% coupon. But I could be wrong. 

11 hours ago, CabDriver said:

The shelves in the model aisle at my local store are getting really bare...I can’t tell if they’re holding back some stock so that anything new that comes in will be at the new higher price soon, or if they’re just not good at restocking the shelves lately 

I noticed last Saturday that one of the HL near me had boxes of inventory to put away on the floors and in the aisles. I chatted with a store employee and they said that shipments were delayed due to the severe weather that the central and eastern US had been experiencing, thus the product on the floor. They try to not stock on Saturdays as they know it's one of their busiest days. 

The empty shelves at your store is probably a result of delayed shipments. That said, it will be interesting to see next week's ad and also if there is an adjustment to prices.

My store gets its shipment every Monday. You see all the HL reusable cases stacked all over the store. I don’t believe they have a stockroom or hold anything back at the store level. Everything the warehouse ships goes right on the shelves 

DBC460FE-A066-440D-8943-FAAACDAC148B.jpeg.853c3a13af4a0ff4472c5a6e722cf9f6.jpeg

And I had to laugh.. these bunnies were in clearance area for $1.49 each. At first I thought I’d get a few for my wife.. then I noticed they’re all missing an ear!

Edited by Tom Geiger

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

My store gets its shipment every Monday. You see all the HL reusable cases stacked all over the store. I don’t believe they have a stockroom or hold anything back at the store level. Everything the warehouse ships goes right on the shelves 

DBC460FE-A066-440D-8943-FAAACDAC148B.jpeg.853c3a13af4a0ff4472c5a6e722cf9f6.jpeg

And I had to laugh.. these bunnies were in clearance area for $1.49 each. At first I thought I’d get a few for my wife.. then I noticed they’re all missing an ear!

Kind of eerie that they’d ALL be missing one.🤔

Visited my local HL last night. They finally stocked the 78 Dodge for the first time, but of course it was after I bought it elsewhere.

But the interesting thing to me was the expanded offerings from Mr Hobby. I had seen the primer there before, but now there are several other Mr items available including filler, clear spray, glue, and i think a couple tools. Side by side with Tamiya stuff (which also expanded over the last year or so) I wonder if they plan to continue to offer them side by side, or if they are phasing in the Mr Hobby products due to recent availability issues with Tamiya? I also wonder if they are going to expand into offering either companies paint lines? With the majority of the Testors paints being discontinued, I thought it would be perfect time for the Revell paints to take hold, but that doesn't seem to have happened. 

1 hour ago, RSchnell said:

Hit up a couple HL's. One had started discounting Model Master paints- both bottle and spray. I bought a bunch at $1.57/can & bottles were 99 cents.

I would have bought them all.  Maybe the shelves too. That’s stupid pricing.  

the counter human asked me if my paint was in the hobby section.  Maybe all the Modelmaster paints will be marked down at all the stores soon.....

No paints marked down here in Cornland either - but I found a couple of lonely bottles of the Testors enamel metal finishes and grabbed those, and they just seem to have got the AMT Model T coupe kits so I grabbed one of those too.

Model selection was better than it has been lately, but nothing much new except for the Ts:

9BD4E9C3-D9B9-42BA-8524-FDBA21DB63AF.thumb.jpeg.17069ffbb5260ac3e800250c5d69b240.jpeg

3 hours ago, stinkybritches said:

There were no marked down Testors paints at my nearest HL either. I was able to get 3 cans of aluminum plate buffing metalizer. No other metalizers though.

Let us know how they work out. I read elsewhere here that if you got the Testors metalizers in the rattle cans with the Rustoleum name on them you bought a different formulation that didn't work as well as the original Testors.

CabDriver, it is interesting to see that the LAYOUT of the models in your store is EXACTLY the same as in my store in Novi, Mi.  

Today is the last day, and I am headed there to see about the paints.  May be stupid and use the 40% coupon on something, and maybe get that Boss 302.  

Anyone know if that updated Mustang front end is accurate and better than the old one that I already have in my stash?

24 minutes ago, steveracer said:

Anyone know if that updated Mustang front end is accurate and better than the old one that I already have in my stash?

Yes, it's better than the old '69 Mach I front end. It's still not completely accurate, but it's a big improvement over the old one. 

1 hour ago, steveracer said:

CabDriver, it is interesting to see that the LAYOUT of the models in your store is EXACTLY the same as in my store in Novi, Mi

Hobby Lobby has the parallel universe thing down pat!  I’m amazed as I go to different stores and see things on the exact same hook! Spooky!

No mark down on the paints in my area.  The newest location in my area has restocked the shelves but the prices are now $32.99.  Unless they are going back to an occasional 50% off on models after they cease the 40% coupon, marketing missed the point!

BTW.....if a 'kit' is fully assembled, it's been opened!  (Reminds me of the Rodney Carrington bit about WalMart taking all returns, even diapers as they already have 'poop' in them.)

Hobby Lobby 1.jpg