Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

14 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Went by the local HL yesterday and found 1 "new" kit:  the Round 2 '60 Chevy pickup with go-kart.  Grrrr!  I waited MONTHS for HL to get that kit when it was first released, so I could buy it for 40% off.  None of the 3 HL stores near me ever got it in.  So I finally gave up and bought it online.

That also happened with the Revell Porsche Jr. tractor.  I waited and waited, ending up buying it online.  About a week later the kit showed up in HL. 

As with so many things HL, there seems to be no rhyme or reason when new kits will show up.  This local store already has the '66 Buick Wildcat, 007 Galaxie and Mustang, and a few other very recent releases.   

Mine has yet to get the Dodge pickup in.

I guess their new pricing structure is raise prices ten percent and put the kits on sale for 40% off.  At least pull off the old price sticker or improve your aim when putting the new higher price on.  AMT stuff was now $32.99.

HL price change.jpg

On 3/10/2021 at 2:46 AM, slusher said:

Mine has yet to get the Dodge pickup in.

Mine also though I should have bought the one I saw at Micheal's. Micheals has been getting some different kits in. But it's hit or miss. I wish they would update their model selection on line.

3 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

Mine also though I should have bought the one I saw at Micheal's. Micheals has been getting some different kits in. But it's hit or miss. I wish they would update their model selection on line.

Maybe with new owners Michaels' can improve a lot of things in their stores. I would shop for models there is they had a better selection and their prices weren't all over the place.

8 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I bought.4 Testors disposal knive from Michael’s online could not find online at Hobby Lobby, so I am going to shop some more at Michaels website an check out see what they have..

On 3/16/2021 at 9:32 PM, Tom Geiger said:

I stopped in Michael’s on Sunday to get some poster board and couldn’t believe how bad the model section had shrunk.  They had maybe a dozen car kits.. not a dozen different stock numbers but a total of a dozen kits!

Michael's is pitiful when it comes to model stock, let alone modeling related tools and supplies. 

On 3/14/2021 at 1:12 AM, slusher said:

I bought.4 Testors disposal knive from Michael’s online could not find online at Hobby Lobby, so I am going to shop some more at Michaels website an check out see what they have..

Micheal's isn't really great at keeping what they have in the stores with their owebsite. They never update their on-line model kit selection. Kind of have to hit the stores to see what they have.

On 3/13/2021 at 3:27 PM, HomerS said:

I guess their new pricing structure is raise prices ten percent and put the kits on sale for 40% off.  At least pull off the old price sticker or improve your aim when putting the new higher price on.  AMT stuff was now $32.99.

HL price change.jpg

Did you check to see what the other price stickers were marked as?  I’m not too surprised if they increase the prices on kits. Even their paint lines are priced more than most LHS and online stores. Vallejo paints... $4.99?!? Really, Hobby Lobby?

1 hour ago, JohnU said:

Looks like they stopped their 40% coupon at the Stow Ohio location plus the coupon doesn’t show up on my HL app either!

Been covered a lot earlier in this thread the 40% was going away. BUT models have been 40% twice since the coupon went away.....so.....

39 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Been covered a lot earlier in this thread the 40% was going away. BUT models have been 40% twice since the coupon went away.....so.....

Well, I used to use it for other things other than models that HL provided. I recall using it recently, maybe a month or two ago for my wife’s baking supplies. I literally just looked at my app and discovered the coupon option is gone! Considering I have a small hobby shop full of kits anyway, don’t really mind not using it for that. They weren’t always the best price or selection. At least in my neck of the woods. Seems their data base was recently hacked too!

44 minutes ago, JohnU said:

Well, I used to use it for other things other than models that HL provided. 

Same here! I had the coupon on my phone so I always had one. When I’d go in the store, of course I’d check for model kits first. When usually they didn’t have anything I wanted, I’d grab some supply item.. can of Testors flat black or Dullcote, a pack of Evergreen or stamp collectors pages from the next aisle.  I’d always try to buy something at the discount so not to waste the trip. 

In addition to kits being 40% off this week, they are also giving free basic shipping to orders over $50, so if you want to see if what you are looking that the store may be out of, check out the selection online and maybe they have it there. 

12 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

In addition to kits being 40% off this week, they are also giving free basic shipping to orders over $50, so if you want to see if what you are looking that the store may be out of, check out the selection online and maybe they have it there. 

Be careful ordering kits online from HL. They are known to just substitute another one if out of stock, as if a puzzle is just a puzzle