Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

2 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Would be nice if the online store could get a order right,  I ordered a AMT Subaru Brat and got the AMT Toyota pickup snap kit. 😡

I've heard that Hobby Lobby does willy nilly substitute.. in their eyes you ordered a puzzle and they shipped you a puzzle!

On 4/30/2021 at 7:06 PM, youpey said:

does anyone know if the hobby lobby will still have the 40% off models tomorrow? i want to get another 63 corvette kit, but not for the full retail for sure

Their ad in my local paper says the 40% off kits deal is in effect this week.

Edited by sfhess

3 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Would be nice if the online store could get a order right,  I ordered a AMT Subaru Brat and got the AMT Toyota pickup snap kit. 😡

That’s why I won’t order models from them. I hope you can return it but that’s an unwanted hassle..

On 4/28/2021 at 11:55 AM, Zippi said:

I was at my local Hobby Shop and the owner who is a good friend said the Model Masters supply is not looking good.  

That's because Rustoleum discontinued the Model Master brand, along with anything Testors other than the main line. Some products may be absorbed into the main Testors line, but most of the products will disappear when current inventory is bought out.

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

That's because Rustoleum discontinued the Model Master brand, along with anything Testors other than the main line. Some products may be absorbed into the main Testors line, but most of the products will disappear when current inventory is bought out.

Everybody keeps saying Model Master paint line are going away. Last I heard, only certain Military line of colors are being discontinued. Auto colors are still sticking around and those little square bottles too.

15 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Everybody keeps saying Model Master paint line are going away. Last I heard, only certain Military line of colors are being discontinued. Auto colors are still sticking around and those little square bottles too.

See this post where bluenote pulled the text directly from the Testors Facebook page, and then confirmed via email below that. there are also at least two threads floating around here where the topic is run through. I was skeptical at first too, but then this information came to light, and since then have watched the non-Testors branded items disappear from the shelves.

image.png.81e5be8f884b5964ccb2e7d5d1874d33.png

Craig... it has been a long while since I heard any further updated news regarding Testors Model Masters paint line. I didn’t think Pactra paint line was still in existence. That threw me off when I read that announcement. Wow... how’d they figure it’s not generating sales? In my opinion, I think they want to get out of the model paint related paint business line. 

I did stop by my local HL last night. All Model Master paints are marked down at $.99 cents each, ( regularly $3.99 each) and rattle cans are marked down at$1.59 each (regularly $5.99 each) I picked up a couple colors I needed. 

Funny observation though.... each color slot were crossed off. I’m really curious if Hobby Lobby has any plans to replace Testors with another line of hobby paints. Perhaps Tamiya or Revell (one could only hope and wish)? I mean, what’s the point of selling model kits if they can’t provide more choices in model paints besides the Testors square bottles.

I refuse to enter Hobby Lobby, so I couldn't care less if they have sales or not. I won't say my reasons because that involves politics which are not discussed here and I approve of that policy by this site's admin. I do shop at Michael's and they also have 40% off sales on model kits quite often. And in my area, the Kmart has lower prices than both those chains do. 

My local store finally caught up to the clearance deal everyone else is running on the paint - shelves were pretty much stripped clean of all the really useful stuff, but still managed to bring a bunch of “that’ll be useful someday” colors home with me...

7518765A-EE43-4834-BD6D-B6ED33D497C9.jpeg

18 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Funny observation though.... each color slot were crossed off. I’m really curious if Hobby Lobby has any plans to replace Testors with another line of hobby paints. Perhaps Tamiya or Revell (one could only hope and wish)? I mean, what’s the point of selling model kits if they can’t provide more choices in model paints besides the Testors square bottles.

I certainly hope they pick up one of those. Tamiya makes sense because they already have a relationship with Tamiya (they carry their primer, some weathering pigments and some tools). But selfishly i hope it's Revell since I can get the full Tamiya line already at my LHS.

3 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I certainly hope they pick up one of those. Tamiya makes sense because they already have a relationship with Tamiya (they carry their primer, some weathering pigments and some tools). But selfishly i hope it's Revell since I can get the full Tamiya line already at my LHS.

They haven't carried Tamiya stuff for a while now. Most has changed to Mr. ........

That's a pity - I'd be a regular purchaser of the Tamiya paints if they carried them too...nowhere local stocks them and they don't tend to be economical to purchase online compared to off-the-shelf prices...

Edited by CabDriver

On 5/4/2021 at 5:41 PM, John1955 said:

I refuse to enter Hobby Lobby, so I couldn't care less if they have sales or not. I won't say my reasons because that involves politics which are not discussed here and I approve of that policy by this site's admin. I do shop at Michael's and they also have 40% off sales on model kits quite often. And in my area, the Kmart has lower prices than both those chains do. 

You still have a Kmart?!?!? Kmart in my area has been closed since the early 80s.

41 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

You still have a Kmart?!?!? Kmart in my area has been closed since the early 80s

I live in the Sacramento metro area. All of the K-Marts are long gone, the closest one is in Grass Valley. The last Sears is going out of business and may already be closed. This is a metro area of 2.5MM and they couldn't stay afloat.

Read up on Edward "Eddie" Lampert. It's pretty interesting.

57 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

You still have a Kmart?!?!? Kmart in my area has been closed since the early 80s.

we have or at least had a kmart until about 2 years ago. i dont know if it still there. however, the last time i was there, they did not have any models. 

17 hours ago, CabDriver said:

That's a pity - I'd be a regular purchaser of the Tamiya paints if they carried them too...nowhere local stocks them and they don't tend to be economical to purchase online compared to off-the-shelf prices...

Fortunately, there's Model Empire in Milwaukee that I rely on for the occasional Tamiya rattle can and bottles.  We live 3.5hrs north of Milwaukee but visit there often because two of our daughters live in a burb and the shop is a quick 20 min drive.  Sure beats adding shipping costs for one or two cans.

19 hours ago, RichCostello said:

They haven't carried Tamiya stuff for a while now. Most has changed to Mr. ........

My local HL has Mr Surfacer and Tamiya primers sitting right on the shelf next to each other. And I noticed the masking tape and weathering set on the pegs as well. Could be old stock, or different stores carrying different items. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

My local HL has Mr Surfacer and Tamiya primers sitting right on the shelf next to each other. And I noticed the masking tape and weathering set on the pegs as well. Could be old stock, or different stores carrying different items. 

I'm guessing it's old stock.

Stopped by one of the HL's this a.m......they might want to have a chat with their marketing person about killing off the 40% coupon and new pricing structure.

Frequently when down the model aisle, I check out the die cast and something else comes home with me as well.  1/64 Johnny Lightning and M2's are now $13!  I can go across the street and grab them for $6 - $7/each at Wal-Mart, Target or Meijer.

Funko POPS are $13.....$9 at WalMart or $11 from Funko's website for the exact same ones!

Next step will be major shrinkage of the whole aisle to a four foot section (like the local Michael's) and blaming consumers no longer purchasing these items

3 hours ago, HomerS said:

Stopped by one of the HL's this a.m......they might want to have a chat with their marketing person about killing off the 40% coupon and new pricing structure.

Frequently when down the model aisle, I check out the die cast and something else comes home with me as well.  1/64 Johnny Lightning and M2's are now $13!  I can go across the street and grab them for $6 - $7/each at Wal-Mart, Target or Meijer.

Funko POPS are $13.....$9 at WalMart or $11 from Funko's website for the exact same ones!

Next step will be major shrinkage of the whole aisle to a four foot section (like the local Michael's) and blaming consumers no longer purchasing these items

Almost everything in HL is way overpriced. The 40% coupon wouldn't even get a lot of them down to what you can buy them for at other stores, like the Krylon paint that is less than $4.00 at Walmart, or Lowes is 8-10 bucks at HL. I've also noticed that it's a lot easier to find a good parking spot since the death of the 40% coupon. I think they will regret doing away with the coupon.

6 hours ago, RichCostello said:

. I think they will regret doing away with the coupon.

Although a big deal in our herd, I don’t believe that’s universal. I met a lot of people in the store who weren’t even aware of the coupon.