Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

Stopped at the Hobart, IN store today. They had one of the AMT '64 Cutlass convertibles.

So that's good.  However, since I'm waiting for the hardtop version that's scheduled to come out later this year, this probably means they'll never get that version.

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2021 at 4:48 PM, El Roberto said:

Because HL discontinued their 40% off coupons, I've stopped shopping there.  Their selection of kits including cars, aircraft, armor just sucks. Less and less as time goes on.  I used to use the coupon for supplies, paint etc but since there's no discount I can buy the stuff for the same price or cheaper elsewhere. 

HL is turning into nothing but a freaking gift store, they need to change their name to Knick Knack Lobby. 

I'd have to agree with you there. I used to get just about all my modeling supplies there, particularly Tamiya putty and rattle can primers in white and gray...but they quit stocking those just before ending the weekly coupons...they switched to Mr.Hobby primer. Their automotive model kit selection is almost exclusively muscle cars and trucks. I only go there for Krylon spray paints anymore...they go on sale 30% off now and then. 

5 minutes ago, Zippi said:

I was looking on HL website the other day and saw a different kit that I haven't seen.  When I went there the next day they were all gone.

63660296_SlamersStreetFury.jpg.89758b737ddda83bf24860e840d77492.jpg

That's a snap-together kit with no engine or interior detail.  I had an original issue one, can't remember if the "glass" was tinted extremely dark or molded in black.

7 minutes ago, Zippi said:

I was looking on HL website the other day and saw a different kit that I haven't seen.  When I went there the next day they were all gone.

63660296_SlamersStreetFury.jpg.89758b737ddda83bf24860e840d77492.jpg

Amazon has them for $16 shipped:

https://www.amazon.com/AMT-Street-Fury-1958-Plymouth/dp/B08FCML9WM/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=PLYMOUTH+FURY+AMT&link_code=qs&qid=1626814685&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-1

14 hours ago, Mark said:

That's a snap-together kit with no engine or interior detail.  I had an original issue one, can't remember if the "glass" was tinted extremely dark or molded in black.

Thanks Mark....yeah I knew it was a snap-together kit but it was something different for my local HL and had a good price.

12 hours ago, Zippi said:

Thanks Mark....yeah I knew it was a snap-together kit but it was something different for my local HL and had a good price.

You can always order them online at the sale price. And they have free shipping on orders over $50.

36 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

You can always order them online at the sale price. And they have free shipping on orders over $50.

How many times and in different threads must we warn people.. Hobby Lobby will substitute any random kit  if the item you request is out of stock!

11 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

How many times and in different threads must we warn people.. Hobby Lobby will substitute any random kit  if the item you request is out of stock!

I have seen some comment that has happened, but is that a HL policy or laziness on behalf of a warehouse worker? And I would think if they sent you the wrong item they would take it back and either refund your money or give you the correct item.

When I have gone on their website, if something shows out of stock, I don't believe you can order it.

Stopped by Hobby Lobby on my lunch break today for a quick paint need.  Saw two things:

1.  Rustoleum chrome paint markers.  Still kicking myself for not getting it to try out.  Maybe somebody has used it??

1666139525_162747831735264008-Copy.jpg.6e50c6599dce2a8ed56447289de355c1.jpg

2.  This kit on the shelves..... don't even know what to say....

1548662197_162747836504853817-Copy.jpg.20ec3e8b029efdb2275c57fa912deed9.jpg

I don't go to HL anymore because I liked being able to buy what I wanted with the 40% off coupon. I have all the kits they have. And I didn't see the Molotow chrome pens the last time I went. 

Edited by ewetwo

6 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I don't go to HL anymore because I liked being able to buy what I wanted with the 40% off coupon. I have all the kitschy have. And I didn't see the Molotow chrome pens the last time I went. 

Nice thing with their new deal, is at least when they put the kits on 40%-off every other week at least you can buy as many as you want, rather than getting one hit with the voucher.

But yeah, it was cool when you could pick almost anything in the store and use the golden ticket on it…

25 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Why bother putting that back on the shelf if there are misding pieces????? Pure laziness to send it back to the distribution center. Either that or the employees has no clue. 

I wonder if they're selling it at regular price - missing pieces or not. LOL!

Normally those wind up on the clearance shelf for $10 or so.

It's worth checking those returned kits if you're interested in buying them for parts...Hobby Lobby staff don't generally know enough about what SHOULD be in the box to know what's missing.

I picked up a Revell foxbody Mustang that was supposedly only missing the tires (no biggie, I have tires) and 3/4 of the kit was gone when I opened it...someone pillaged the box for stuff they wanted apparently and then returned it for a refund

21 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I don't go to HL anymore because I liked being able to buy what I wanted with the 40% off coupon. I have all the kitschy have. And I didn't see the Molotow chrome pens the last time I went. 

Right there with you. I used to go with the coupon and would at least walk out with a can or bottle of paint. Now they get no money from me. Brilliant way to do business.