Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

Went to HL today to kill time before and appointment and they had a nice selection of models at 40% off.  Usually they don't have any models I am interested in because I like race cars but I was surprised to find two of the Revell Corvette C-7R and two Ford GT Le Mans kits.  I got them for a steal.

On 8/15/2021 at 10:47 PM, 1930fordpickup said:

Most large big box store are like this. Timmy sits behind a desk and tells the everyone what goes where in every store. The only difference is, if  it a right or left hand store.  

It's called Plan-O-Gram. Most big chains use some form of it. My son has worked for two major retailers and both had very strict P-O-G programs and as a manager you were graded on it. SOP

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bucky said:

You boys are just pups! I used to buy 1/25 scale Johan kits at G. C. Murphy for .89 a pop right after they were issued! LoL 

MPC and AMT were expensive...$1.49 each! 

I remember 2.50 - 3.00 in the mid 70’s and in the mid 90’s models hug around 10 bucs for a long time. Please correct me if I am wrong guys. I may be young to some but my road has been rough and I can’t remember like I use too..

Back when retail price on car kits was $2, K-Mart sold them for $1.44.  $2.25 retail translated to $1.66 as I recall.  But there were other places that carried model car kits, like the auction house (ex-theater) that had them as cheap as half a buck.  The choices usually included some of the previous couple of years' annual kits (mostly MPC; seldom AMT, never Jo-Han), and a few odd Trophy Series and some of AMT's (often) poor-selling TV items like the Hero Imperial and My Mother the Car.  The annual kits that wound up there weren't always what you'd think.  I picked up a '71 Racer's Wedge Chevy after the '72 kits came out, I think I had to lay out a buck and a quarter for it, still sealed.

There were a few places like that.  They were getting slow sellers and returns from the local wholesaler.  They'd have weekend sales on Saturdays between Thanksgiving and Christmas every year.  I picked stuff up even cheaper there. 

The wholesaler gradually lost the area department stores as they folded one by one.  They didn't have K-Mart (they bought their own stuff) and Wal-Mart was unknown here until around 1990.  They became a retail store, stopped selling returns because they no longer had any, and themselves closed up about four years ago.

Edited by Mark
Spelling

Another old guy repeating a story, but y'all are all old guys too.

Our across the street neighbor seriously screwed up his back in 1969 and he asked my dad if he could hire me to mow and edge his lawn. Dad said OK, and my price was set at $2. I was excited because kits were $2 and with my allowance I would have money for sales tax and paint. This arrangement went on for a while, but MPC raised their price to $2.25. My dad told me that I needed to adjust my prices for lawn care, and I had "the talk" with Ralph. I was scared but he agreed to pay the new price and agreed again when MPC's price went to $2.50. Rest your soul Ralph. I learned about work ethic and inflation while being your gardener. And I bought a new kit almost every Saturday thanks to you. Also thanks to life in California where I mowed Ralph's yard from early March to late October.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2021 at 12:57 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

I remember $2.25 at the local Osco drug store and being bummed that they weren't cheaper like at Children's Bargain Town (soon to be Toys 'Я' Us). I did bite the bullet once and picked up the AMT '32 Vicky Fire Chief's Car for (shudder) retail.

I remember the Bargin Town o Milwaukee is that the one you went to?

• 3 weeks later...

Well since it's 40% off Monday I beat feet to the nearest Hobby Lobby hoping to get there before all of the other treasure hunters. The first stop I got "The Racers Wedge", almost picked up the Revell '70 Chevelle SS396 but I have a couple already.  Drove on to the next store and found the Round 2 Impala 4 door hardtop. I left one on the shelf for anyone else that might have missed this when first released. 

For anyone interested in the old Revell 1/110 scale "Friendship 7" kit, with the capsule, Atlas booster missile, trucks, gantry etc.: yesterday I stopped in my closest Hobby Lobby and 2 of those kits were in the "Clearance" section.  They were priced at $7.99.