Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

On 11/1/2021 at 2:16 PM, steveracer said:

First time I have seen a Tamiya kit at the Lobby.  Not a car kit. But 40% off for an interested buyer.  Maybe they can stock a few more Tamiya kits and migrate to cars…..25D9EDB0-50AD-43BF-B57A-E07B7276E872.thumb.jpeg.c8b7b1d0846524df6b3d7c1ca7cbb4b3.jpeg

Not that uncommon to find a Tamiya tank kit in Hobby Lobby. Most times they disappear pretty quick if you're not around to pick one up.  

Popped into the local HL to grab a couple '70 Corvette kits for a project I'm working on- I intend to build models of all the astronaut Corvettes I've been able to get information on. As for the stock at HL, it was pretty well wiped out, the same old kits they've always had. I did notice they have shrunk the aisle for more gundam/sci-fi stuff. Didn't think to get pictures, was trying to get in & get out!

On 11/1/2021 at 2:16 PM, steveracer said:

First time I have seen a Tamiya kit at the Lobby.  Not a car kit. But 40% off for an interested buyer.  Maybe they can stock a few more Tamiya kits and migrate to cars…..25D9EDB0-50AD-43BF-B57A-E07B7276E872.thumb.jpeg.c8b7b1d0846524df6b3d7c1ca7cbb4b3.jpeg

I've seen that kit at my HL for a couple years now. Heck, I might have even bought one. (Need to check the Snakepit or the trunk of the Snakemobile. :lol: )

5 hours ago, espo said:

Did two tours of the two closest HL stores to me twice this week. Nothing new on the shelves and they haven't even filled the open shelves. Maybe next week after the 40 % off sale.  

I just hit two local ones and nothing as well. I guess when we see the Yellow tags, then we will know it is go time! 

• 2 weeks later...

i have never had an issue with hobby lobby customer service. in fact, i think it might be one of the best i have seen before. however, this past weekend, i experienced one of the laziest workers i have come across in all my years. 

i went to 2 different hobby lobby stores looking for a specific model. when i couldnt find it, my wife suggested i just call the next one since it is over 1 hour away. i agreed, and i called.i asked them if they could tell me if they had a specific plastic model in stock. the lady said she had no idea what i would be looking for and they said i should just look online and get it from there instead. 

i hung up and turned to my wife and said, now that is lazy. 

Edited by youpey

Speaking of Hobby Lobby........Haven't been there in a couple of months so thought I'd stop by while I was out since this week is 40 % off on kits. Came out empty handed. Same old boring kits. Saw the Wedge pickup but got that online many months ago. Think the car kit area has shrunk a bit and the planes and tanks gained some shelf space.

Just stopped at the closest Hobby Lobby today, since it's 40% off week.  They had 1 new kit, at least new to this store: the Round 2/AMT Construction Bulldozer.  I was tempted, but didn't bite.  I'm trying to downsize the stash and don't need any more stuff taking up space.

On the Tamiya M-41:  every HL around here has had that kit for YEARS.  If they carry one Tamiya armor kit, you have to wonder why they don't carry more.  HL used to have one of the new-tool Tamiya Shermans in stock, but I haven't seen it in a while, at any store.  (There are 3 Hobby Lobbys in driving distance.)  

On M-41 kits in general:  if you want a really nice M-41, ignore the Tamiya, it's a very old and simplified kit.  Put the money toward an AFV Club M-41.  Back in the 1990s, both AFV Club and Skybow did M-41 kits.  AFV Club did the M-41A3 and Skybow the M-41A1.  Skybow went out of business and AFV Club got their molds.  (Both companies were in Taiwan.)   Today, if you get the AFV Club M-41G (German/Bundeswehr), you're getting the old Skybow kit.  Some builders thought it was a little better than the AFV Club M-41.  But both are great builds.

This is the Skybow kit in the AFV Club box, Kit Number 35S41:    

AFV35S41.jpg

Edited by Mike999
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 12:24 PM, youpey said:

i have never had an issue with hobby lobby customer service. in fact, i think it might be one of the best i have seen before. however, this past weekend, i experienced one of the laziest workers i have come across in all my years. 

i went to 2 different hobby lobby stores looking for a specific model. when i couldnt find it, my wife suggested i just call the next one since it is over 1 hour away. i agreed, and i called.i asked them if they could tell me if they had a specific plastic model in stock. the lady said she had no idea what i would be looking for and they said i should just look online and get it from there instead. 

i hung up and turned to my wife and said, now that is lazy. 

What did you expect from teenage girls and women? BTW, a majority of HL employees are female. Asking them about a certain model kit in stock is like asking them if they carry a certain type of nail at a hardware store or certain type of spark plug for your car or power lawn equipment at Walmart.

Nope, not lazy. Just clueless and she’s already told you that on the phone since she has no idea what she’s looking for. They have zero idea what or where the model kit aisle model kit is or what they have in stock. They all look the same to them.

• Confused 4

3 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

What did you expect from teenage girls and women? BTW, a majority of HL employees are female. Asking them about a certain model kit in stock is like asking them if they carry a certain type of nail at a hardware store or certain type of spark plug for your car or power lawn equipment at Walmart.

Nope, not lazy. Just clueless and she’s already told you that on the phone since she has no idea what she’s looking for. They have zero idea what or where the model kit aisle model kit is or what they have in stock. They all look the same to them.

I mean reading ford torino on a box doesn't seem overly difficult 

7 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Go and try and ask some teen employee on finding a particular model kit. Better yet, ask if they know what a model kit is. Lol! You’ll get some dumb looks.

A million years ago I got a job at toys r us at 16 or 17. I knew nothing of the toys, especially the dolls and that type of stuff. Within a couple of weeks i learned quite a bit and was able to get it. 

If someone was looking for something and i didn't understand what it was, i would try to help them what i thought and try to find out more if it wasn't right. 

Its about this person i called being very lazy, not incompetent or asking for some crazy out there thing. Laziness, pure and simple

Edited by youpey

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Yup.... the same at my local HL store. I did pick up Tamiya Weathering Sets A, B, & C for myself.  Got them for 40% off each for final cost of $27 and change. They were $11.99 each.

Oh, the 40% works on that stuff too?  Sweet!