Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

The Hobby Lobby near me has a Testors rack for when you need those little bottles, with no flat black! they have semi gloss black (which is a little too shiny for my liking). Now this can easily be fixed by adding a few drops of flack black. There is not even an empty bin that says flat black on it. There are about 7 bins that just say black each one with a different part number on them but none that just say FLAT BLACK. Now I've informed what appeared to be some king of higher up about this on numerus occasions. still no help. Now I'm going to have to find some on line source just to get one dinky bottle of flat black. Maddening!

Edited by Mike C.

MikeC,

You have several flat black options: you can use restoleum small brush can/spray can which I've used since the 1970s on models. Available at walmart or home stores.

My favorite flat black is Mr hobby flat black which is lacquer paint but is harder to find but available in hobby shops or online.

Or you can use any black paint (or craft paint at your hobby lobby) and use testors clear dullcoat, krylon clear Matt finish or even a flat varnish topcoat for desired flat black finish.

I use all 3 three at times.

Just a few suggestions...

Edited by P51Mustang

My point is, I'm standing in front of a Testors paint rack in one of the worlds biggest brick and mortar hobby stores and they have no flat black paint. I'll bet I could walk into Walmart (I try to avoid that) and I'll bet you $100 they will have testors flat black. You go online and Hobby Lobby has small bottles of Testors flat black and I told them this. Now I have to place a special order online to get the paint I need. If someone asked me what paint I used the most of I'd would have to say flat black. Never in my life have I seen a Testors store display without flat black in it. 

1 hour ago, Mike C. said:

My point is, I'm standing in front of a Testors paint rack in one of the worlds biggest brick and mortar hobby stores and they have no flat black paint. I'll bet I could walk into Walmart (I try to avoid that) and I'll bet you $100 they will have testors flat black. You go online and Hobby Lobby has small bottles of Testors flat black and I told them this. Now I have to place a special order online to get the paint I need. If someone asked me what paint I used the most of I'd would have to say flat black. Never in my life have I seen a Testors store display without flat black in it. 

I had started a new thread about the lack of flat black paint when CV1984 started, but it's been disappeared.  Glad I bought a bunch leading up to this dark time.  First World problems......

On 12/17/2021 at 9:35 AM, Mike C. said:

I bought enough Testors, little bottles over the years I will not need any of the common colors for years.

On 12/17/2021 at 8:58 AM, Mike C. said:

The Hobby Lobby near me has a Testors rack for when you need those little bottles, with no flat black! 

Hobby Lobby is big on having the shelves look full and will move paints around in the Testors rack to make it look full. No matter that there’s now green paint where the flat black should be!

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 7:39 AM, mikemodeler said:

I live in a hobby shop desert- closest thing we have to a LHS is a Hobby Town USA about 40 miles north of me in Mooresville. At one time they had a huge aisle of plastic, cars, trucks, military plus all kinds of paints and tools. Then a few years ago a Hobby Lobby opened a mile away and it changed their business. Any serious builder/buyer of kits would shop at HL when kits were 40% off compared to HTU's usual full list price.

Exactly!  Avenel Hobbies in New Jersey was mainly a car plastic model store. They didn’t even have RC. They closed up about a year after Hobby Lobby opened. People would come into the store with HLs 40% off coupons demanding that the shop match it!  

When they shut down after 30 years, the owner said it was directly because of HL.  So all of us are guilty of driving the hobby shops out of business for a few bucks!

• Like 1

I live in the Phoenix valley, and in the valley there are at least 8 Hobby Lobbys. In addition to those, there are several Michael's and other stand alone hobby shops, R/C shops etc. I say this to point at that a WELL run/stocked model shop (note I said model, not just hobby)  can still exist and thrive in the same area as highlighted by Andy's Hobby Headquarters. This shop is a model shop only, and VERY well stocked all the time, has expanded to take over the space next to them in the strip mall that they in in the last couple years. (In fact, another hobby show Hobby Depot has done that as well in recent years)

I do believe that external forces/businesses impact mom and pop shops, but I also think the WAY someone runs their business impacts it as well.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

I live in the Phoenix valley, and in the valley there are at least 8 Hobby Lobbys. In addition to those, there are several Michael's and other stand alone hobby shops, R/C shops etc. I say this to point at that a WELL run/stocked model shop (note I said model, not just hobby)  can still exist and thrive in the same area as highlighted by Andy's Hobby Headquarters. This shop is a model shop only, and VERY well stocked all the time, has expanded to take over the space next to them in the strip mall that they in in the last couple years. (In fact, another hobby show Hobby Depot has done that as well in recent years)

I do believe that external forces/businesses impact mom and pop shops, but I also think the WAY someone runs their business impacts it as well.   

Yeah, I liked Hobby Depot..that was my regular for years when I lived in the Valley of the Sun.  Used to go there at least once month, esp. when I was working in Tempe and Chandler.

In the Charlotte area the LHS that closed were small and the owners were older with no succession plan for the future of the store. In some cases it was rent being doubled that caused them to close up. They found out that the internet was the problem- people would buy their R/C stuff online and then bring it in to have the shop help fix it and expect it for free. Same was true for model kits but I always went in a bought something, even if it was just glue or paint, because they had stuff that HL or Michaels didn't.

6 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Exactly!  Avenel Hobbies in New Jersey was mainly a car plastic model store. They didn’t even have RC. They closed up about a year after Hobby Lobby opened. People would come into the store with HLs 40% off coupons demanding that the shop match it!  

When they shut down after 30 years, the owner said it was directly because of HL.  So all of us are guilty of driving the hobby shops out of business for a few bucks!

I had some cash in my pocket and headed over to my closest LHS to find it just closed. 😧 There is some inventory in the store but I have no way to get a hold of them. I'd be happy to take as much of the Evergreen stock as I could get for $200 but it shall be a missed opportunity. I headed to HL and picked up a couple of kits. 67 ProStreet Chevelle for parts and a 69 Super Bee that I have forgotten I already have.

Heads up!  Today 12/21, I visited 2 Hobby Lobby stores.  Both stores were re-stocking the model aisle, which was seriously depleted in both.  I got a Round 2 GMC Jimmy in one store, a kit I'd never seen in that store before. 

In the re-stocking boxes I saw the '63 Chevy Impala re-issue, also a new kit for that store.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 1:51 PM, mikemodeler said:

In the Charlotte area the LHS that closed were small and the owners were older with no succession plan for the future of the store. In some cases it was rent being doubled that caused them to close up. They found out that the internet was the problem- people would buy their R/C stuff online and then bring it in to have the shop help fix it and expect it for free. Same was true for model kits but I always went in a bought something, even if it was just glue or paint, because they had stuff that HL or Michaels didn't.

Exactly this. We had a local shop called Hobby Alley. Lots of RC, but a healthy model section. I spent a lot of money there. Then one day there was a sign saying they were shutting down. Spoke with the owner, and it was the same story. The RC people would go in and ask questions, then go online and buy. Then come back for help with assembly. He got fed up and implemented a "diagnostic" fee. And of course the RC guys complained that this was no way to treat customers. He finally got fed up and shut it down. Now my nearest hobby store is located on the opposite end of the city.