Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

On 3/15/2022 at 11:15 PM, CabDriver said:

My local HL was discounting all the Evergreen and K&N metals today…presumably they’re dropping those too…

ECEAAEB3-B760-4F51-80DC-18EF4EDD4395.jpeg

Funny... I checked my local Hobby Lobby and their stock aren't on clearance nor any model kits. I wonder if it's a regional thing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Funny... I checked my local Hobby Lobby and their stock aren't on clearance nor any model kits. I wonder if it's a regional thing.

Could be - I haven’t been by recently to see if they restocked, or what happened to that rack of supplies 

On 5/10/2022 at 8:03 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

the store in my area didn’t have kits on clearance when other stores did a few years ago..

On 5/10/2022 at 4:53 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

and then scream at ME when I said everything was all wrong

Yeesh, Bill. Good to hear you eventually dodged that missile. 

On 5/10/2022 at 4:53 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Her logic? "Well...HE WORKS THERE!!! So HE KNOWS BETTER than YOU!!!"

To that I’d say, “Then why do fast food places get so many orders wrong?”

23 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Yeesh, Bill. Good to hear you eventually dodged that missile. 

The final straw was when she met Raoul the Pool Boy. I hope he's supporting her in the style to which she'd become accustomed.  ;)

65635038b5ee4a97f48748953403a14d.jpg.baa3072df0aa3edbb10f9355187f394f.jpg

EDIT: I know digressions are frowned upon, so...maybe he'll go to work at Hobby Lobby.

100% back on track.   B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 1 month later...

Welp, it might be happening.  With the manufacturer's climbing MSRP's over the last year, I've been wondering when we would see the next HL price bump.

Stopped at my nearest HL, surprised to see the shelves pretty well stocked.  No new kits, and nothing out of the ordinary price-wise until I spotted the $37.99 price tags 😬 on the Revell '90 Mustang LX 5.0 Drag kits.

Didn't see any other kits with similar increases, but I'm expecting as they restock we will probably see more increases.  Since that kit had been $29.99 like the majority of their other kits, I'm expecting this may be their new baseline.

If you're like 99% of the people on this forum and buy on the weeks with the 40% off, that works out to a $4.80 price increase per kit.  Unfortunately that's not too different than what I've seen at my LHS.

Edited by Robberbaron

On 7/1/2022 at 5:17 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

Hobby Lobby no longer honor the 40% coupon on model kits. Hasn't advertised it in quite a long time now.

No coupon required, they've been running a 40% sale on model kits every other week since the 40% off "anything" coupon went away early last year.

On 7/1/2022 at 5:09 PM, Robberbaron said:

Welp, it might be happening.  With the manufacturer's climbing MSRP's over the last year, I've been wondering when we would see the next HL price bump.

Stopped at my nearest HL, surprised to see the shelves pretty well stocked.  No new kits, and nothing out of the ordinary price-wise until I spotted the $37.99 price tags 😬 on the Revell '90 Mustang LX 5.0 Drag kits.

Didn't see any other kits with similar increases, but I'm expecting as they restock we will probably see more increases.  Since that kit had been $29.99 like the majority of their other kits, I'm expecting this may be their new baseline.

If you're like 99% of the people on this forum and buy on the weeks with the 40% off, that works out to a $4.80 price increase per kit.  Unfortunately that's not too different than what I've seen at my LHS.

Interesting that you mention that - I went to pick up a few Revell '68 Beetle kits last week and they were all marked at $29.99 except one right at the back of the rack, caked in dust, with a $19.99 sticker.  Same kit, just dusty and old and cheaper :D

• Like 2

The wife and I were at HL in Owenboro Ky. on Saturday so I wanted to see what they had on their shelfs compared to back home.  I spotted this kit that I have never seen at my store so I had to pick it up.  Thought it would make a nice Pro Street since I'd seen someone else build one.  It was not the 40% off week so I slept it in the cart along with all the wifes stuff and it got through the wifes radar.  I'm a happy camper.    

20220709_144119.jpg.67dfdc6b94bbc5d124e881a2bb53f3f9.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zippi said:

The wife and I were at HL in Owenboro Ky. on Saturday so I wanted to see what they had on their shelfs compared to back home.  I spotted this kit that I have never seen at my store so I had to pick it up.  Thought it would make a nice Pro Street since I'd seen someone else build one.  It was not the 40% off week so I slept it in the cart along with all the wifes stuff and it got through the wifes radar.  I'm a happy camper.    

20220709_144119.jpg.67dfdc6b94bbc5d124e881a2bb53f3f9.jpg

Bonus - you can use any leftover parts from your coupe build. 

21 hours ago, slusher said:

Now you could put you 40 on a trailer and pull it with matching sedan dilvery!

Good idea Carl.  I think I'm leaning towards a Pro Street for the 40 Sedan Delivery. 

3 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

My local HL never discount anything if they’re not moving be it paint, specialty products or model kits. I guess it depends on the store and region.

I would check with the store manager as the company policy is that the 40% off is bi-weekly and maybe your there on the wrong week.

greg

On 7/15/2022 at 9:30 AM, BlackSheep214 said:

My local HL never discount anything if they’re not moving be it paint, specialty products or model kits. I guess it depends on the store and region.

On 7/15/2022 at 9:35 AM, GLMFAA1 said:

I would check with the store manager as the company policy is that the 40% off is bi-weekly and maybe your there on the wrong week.

greg

I'm assuming (?) that Thomas meant that he never sees items marked down on clearance.

As far as I know the biweekly 40% model discount is nationwide.

Edited by Robberbaron

I stopped at my local HL yesterday.  Deja vu from the week before, so no additional price jumps on any other kits. 👍

I was hoping to get another Revell '29 Ford roadster, but they haven't had any in quite some time.  Not sure if they're restocking them and they keep flying off the shelves, or if they're out of inventory on those.

I got the older Revell/Monogram 66 Hertz Mustang rent a racer kit for $14.99. I thought it was old stock but box side had been updated to RoG with call out for Revell paints and glue......so they must be running some of the older tools with a $24 MSRP. A good deal as you can't have to many Mustangs!!! I need to build this one....................

paintday57.JPG

• Like 4

True story (not a war story). Several years back, around 2009, I was at a HL in Spartanburg, SC. At the time I had promised my wife I would not buy any more kits; I would just go look and drool. When we walked into the store there was a table out front with some clearance items on it.  Right in the middle was a Monogram Big Deuce marked .........drum roll $11. Snatch, told the wife its real value, went and paid for it immediately.  That kit had been on the shelf a couple weeks before for $79.99.  I sold it a couple of years ago for $75.00

6 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

I stopped at my local HL yesterday.  Deja vu from the week before, so no additional price jumps on any other kits. 👍

I was hoping to get another Revell '29 Ford roadster, but they haven't had any in quite some time.  Not sure if they're restocking them and they keep flying off the shelves, or if they're out of inventory on those.

The Valpo store has had two or three in the shelf for a few weeks now; they kept putting out a new one once a week and I kept buying it, but I have probably a dozen now so they’re starting to pile up over there 🤪😂