Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

I found maybe four kits with the clearance sticker out of the hundred or so kits in the regular model section.  I did not going looking in other aisles.  None of the four interested me but I bought some supplies at full price.  This was the HL near downtown Miami which I have to wonder how may car modelers there are in this area as I rarely see anyone in that aisle.  They of course sell diecast like Autoworld and Racing Champions and I buy those sometimes but rarely any kits and if I do only at the 40% off week.

I gave up on the discontinued kits in my area. I once asked the stocker why I wasn't seeing the kits out on display after being marked down and was told that they get sold immediately. Meaning it's an inside job and probably being sold on eBay or Facebook marketplace. I worked in an auto parts store and when our floor items would get discontinued markdowns, often times employees would buy these, before the items were available to customers.

On 9/17/2022 at 6:58 PM, Mike C. said:

Well, I checked the weekly ad again today. Still 50% off Chrismas stuff. No mention of any model kit blowout. I'm going over Monday. I'll let you all know if anything changes.

When they do clearance it is never advertised. It is different from the every-other-week 40% sale. And not all stores do their clearance markdowns at the same time.

My local store always seems to be a couple weeks behind all the other stores that get mentioned in this thread. And typically I miss them because there is a guy that comes in and buys the clearance kits by the literal cartload. I watched it happen once and was confirmed to happen just about every time by employees. 

Edited by Mr. Metallic

4 hours ago, Mike C. said:

Just got back from mine. The cashier told me she knew nothing about any 75% blowout. So, I guess it's regional thing. ?????

Different areas do it a few weeks apart but it usually happens right around now and again around March. Typically the only way you know your local store is getting ready for their reset is models with orange stickers on the shelf. They used to move them to the clearance section but now they leave them on the model aisle. If you don't see any orange stickers but a do see a bunch of empty spots you probably missed it but your store will have new stuff in a couple weeks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fat Brian said:

Different areas do it a few weeks apart but it usually happens right around now and again around March. Typically the only way you know your local store is getting ready for their reset is models with orange stickers on the shelf. They used to move them to the clearance section but now they leave them on the model aisle. If you don't see any orange stickers but a do see a bunch of empty spots you probably missed it but your store will have new stuff in a couple weeks.

Good info. Thanks Brian.

If a store is doing well selling model kits, they won't have items to blow out when they do the reset.  Last week I hit the store I usually go to, lots of empty spaces on the shelves even before the reset.  There was only one clearance kit, which I passed on.  The eBay/FB marketplace sellers will usually clean out everything, so that one kit was probably one of only a handful that this store needed to mark down.  

• Like 1

I finally went to my local Hobby Lobby specifically to buy a 1/24-1/25 display case and to see what the fuss was all about with clearances. The only kit I found on clearance was the Slammers 1998 Chrysler Concorde kit for less than $5. But to my pleasant surprise, the display cases were all marked down! Normally the 1/24-1/25 case is $9.99 but they were listed at $6.99. I picked up both remaining cases and a 1/18 case as well. All in all, I essentially got a 1/24-1/25 case for free.

243048-a-1221-px.jpg.f00812d611db18d3f4367b6133e8ba26.jpg

Edited by av405
  • Like 1

That's a good deal on those display cases.

I have never seen any clearance models at Hobby Lobby but I only go there about 3 times a year and that's if I need a bottle or can of paint I suddenly ran out of. The store is only a mile or so down the street but it's still not worth it to go there just hoping they'll have a new model selection when it's a 40% off week.

• Like 1

I really hope all this clearing out of kits means that we're going to get some exciting new stuff! 

I came across a photo that I took in 2017 of the first time I visited a Hobby Lobby (they're not a thing in NYC) when we went on vacation out of state, and probably 80% of the selection is the same stuff as in my local store today.  Wish I'd bought more of the Vending Machine kits that they used to carry, whilst they had them...

On 9/29/2022 at 5:43 PM, Dpate said:

Haven't checked in NC either.  I don't feel like driving over an hour to just get disappointed - my ole lady does that enough to me.

My HL has disappointed me after that I don’t make a special trip too see what they have. I go by if I have a doctors appointment on accessions..

On 9/28/2022 at 12:10 AM, av405 said:

I finally went to my local Hobby Lobby specifically to buy a 1/24-1/25 display case and to see what the fuss was all about with clearances. The only kit I found on clearance was the Slammers 1998 Chrysler Concorde kit for less than $5. But to my pleasant surprise, the display cases were all marked down! Normally the 1/24-1/25 case is $9.99 but they were listed at $6.99. I picked up both remaining cases and a 1/18 case as well. All in all, I essentially got a 1/24-1/25 case for free.

243048-a-1221-px.jpg.f00812d611db18d3f4367b6133e8ba26.jpg

Pretty good price.  I went to HL one day when the 40% off sale for kits was not on just to pick up a couple of the display cases.  When I got to the check out my total only came to $9.99 plus tax.  I ask about it and she said that when the frames are on sale these are included in the sale.  Not sure what frames she was referring to.

On 10/1/2022 at 3:36 AM, Zippi said:

Pretty good price.  I went to HL one day when the 40% off sale for kits was not on just to pick up a couple of the display cases.  When I got to the check out my total only came to $9.99 plus tax.  I ask about it and she said that when the frames are on sale these are included in the sale.  Not sure what frames she was referring to.

Interesting. During my visit, there was actually a 3rd 1/24 display case on the shelf. Unfortunately that one had no plastic wrap and there was a deep cut/break along one side of the case. It was still $6.99. I tried to get it for a deeper discount but was told that they couldn't as it was already on sale. In principle I disagreed given its state and decided not to buy it.