Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

21 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

They have multiple tooling for a specific kit at different locations? That could be possible I suppose 🤔 

No, they don’t own any manufacturing sites, it’s all contracted out.  I’ve noticed the new very detailed tool kits come from Poland and those have the tape dots.

The kits sourced from China have the traditional shrink wrap.

Another theory is that they have a boxing facility separate from the actual manufacturing.  Bag kits have been shipped in the past, because they are taxed as “unfinished goods” at a lower rate. 

16 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

No, they don’t own any manufacturing sites, it’s all contracted out.  I’ve noticed the new very detailed tool kits come from Poland and those have the tape dots.

The kits sourced from China have the traditional shrink wrap.

Another theory is that they have a boxing facility separate from the actual manufacturing.  Bag kits have been shipped in the past, because they are taxed as “unfinished goods” at a lower rate. 

That would also make a lot of sense. I haven't investigated that porsche kit at all. I know nothing about it. Fingers crossed it will be good.

HL in Nicholasville Ky had most of the new releases. I went specifically for the Supra, found it, and also left with the Bronco. Walmart in the same town had the 64 Olds hardtop for $22, so I bought it as well. 

I hate the new prices (especially at HL) as well. It is what is. I also didn't like paying $30k for my 1:1, but that's the world we live in now. 

• Like 2

HL in Bakersfield had nothing new on the shelves.

In fact they had only 12-14 kits at all. Nothing but Empty Shelves, and tags for new kits.

I got an opened '63 Vette kit missing parts for $14.00. Tires and Chrome are good, and there is enough there to complete the kit, but there are engine parts missing.

I'm happy.

But , being Bakersfield, they may not re-stock completely Until Feb-March. (That is how it has worked in the past)

On 11/6/2022 at 11:18 AM, BlackSheep214 said:

I can get model car kits far cheaper at Scalehobbyist than at HL. Most kits starts at $19.99 at Scalehobbyist. Hobby Lobby starts at $34.99 - $39.99. I’d tell Hobby Lobby to stick it where the sun don’t shine.

I thought I would go check them out per your note, as I had not heard of them before. Looks like they are cheaper, but I am not seeing the $19.99 price range. The Revell Cobra is only 3 bucks or so cheaper than HL. The AlaKart is pretty closer as well. 

image.png.bb622ed02849cbccf7109ca741db266b.png

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 8:40 PM, Modelbuilder Mark said:

I thought I would go check them out per your note, as I had not heard of them before. Looks like they are cheaper, but I am not seeing the $19.99 price range. The Revell Cobra is only 3 bucks or so cheaper than HL. The AlaKart is pretty closer as well. 

Yeah, but they don't have 40% off, which puts it way under Scalehobbyist. Plus you're not adding shipping costs either. 

But Thomas can "stick it" where he wants to.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Yeah, but they don't have 40% off, which puts it way under Scalehobbyist. Plus you're not adding shipping costs either. 

But Thomas can "stick it" where he wants to.

Ditto on that Patrick.   My store lacks a great selection but it ain't like I need another model to build anytime soon🙄😂

On 11/8/2022 at 11:40 PM, Modelbuilder Mark said:

image.png.bb622ed02849cbccf7109ca741db266b.png

Irrelevant post. HL never is known for carrying a wide variety of kit choices. They certainly don’t stock those kits above. LOL! Even Hobbylinc is cheaper....

Shipping charges you can’t avoid but once in awhile they may offer sort of promotion on free shipping/reduced shipping charges. Especially when LHS are pretty rare nowadays.

So yeah, I still stand by my “Stick it” comment. ROFL!

Edited by BlackSheep214

18 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Irrelevant post. HL never is known for carrying a wide variety of kit choices. They certainly don’t stock those kits above. LOL! Even Hobbylinc is cheaper....

Shipping charges you can’t avoid but once in awhile they may offer sort of promotion on free shipping/reduced shipping charges. Especially when LHS are pretty rare nowadays.

I can certainly tell you that hobby lobby has in fact stocked at least 3 of those kits, because I have the kits and receipts to prove it.

And while my local store tends to keep around 40-50 different car kits on the shelves I understand it can leave you kind of wanting once you own them all...been there, done that.

All that being said, I will say that I live in Tennessee, we have the second highest sales tax in the country slightly lower than Louisiana... mine locally is 9.75% 

So on 40% off week I can walk in and buy four $40 kits at $105.34

I can tell you that I will make another $105.34 before I build those 4 kits... im actually going to make alot more 105.34's before I finish them. Chances are by the time I finish them there will be different kits on the shelf and I'll go and drip my $105.34 again.

40% week is really hard to beat... no matter where you shop for kits, besides estate sales, garage sales, thrift stores etc...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

I had never heard of them before so I checked them out based on your reference. Who does not like a good deal right? The relevance is that I was clarifying that "most" kits do not start at $19.99 and as of this post only 9 out of 340 1/25 scale kits are that price.  I certainly concede that they do indeed have great deals and I will likely buy from them.

I have found that no single source will always have the best deal on all kits all the time. Online, my two go to hobby shops are primarily MegaHobby and Hobbylinc, but if I am in HL, and they have a great deal on a kit that I could use, why not? 

I wish you well and hope you find no need to "stick it" to anyone. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 10:03 AM, BlackSheep214 said:

Well, one must also keep in mind that Model Kits are not HL's priorities, they are just something they carry in addition to everything else. They have prices that are comparable to most brick and mortar places, and even cheaper in some cases, and offer 40% off some times. Sure, they will not carry everything, but, they carry enough for the average model builder or Aunt looking for a gift to buy. 

So, comparing HL to an online place that deals mainly in model kits is a bit off. 

Your mileage may vary! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RSchnell said:

I like Scale Hobbyist and have purchased from them many times. Comparing Scalehobbyist to Hobby Lobby is no comparison. 

That’s was my point of my original post. Sure, HL does offer a few kits in their stores as found in online stores. Don’t get me wrong, 40% off sales is hard to beat. But they have the same old, same old boring model kit stock selections. Rare you might find something new.

The Cocoa Cola kits are ridiculously priced compared to a regular version of the kit Meh... I’ll pass on those but each to his own if you’re a fan of Cocoa Cola special edition kits. They’re not my thing.

Heck, I’m still waiting for HL to stock the newly reissued Streaker Vette. I’ve been waiting and hoping they restock the ‘70 Camaro Full Bumper version too. I doubt they’ll get either kits in their stores anytime soon. Oh well.... it don’t bother me much.

33 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

That’s was my point of my original post. Sure, HL does offer a few kits in their stores as found in online stores. Don’t get me wrong, 40% off sales is hard to beat. But they have the same old, same old boring model kit stock selections. Rare you might find something new.

The Cocoa Cola kits are ridiculously priced compared to a regular version of the kit Meh... I’ll pass on those but each to his own if you’re a fan of Cocoa Cola special edition kits. They’re not my thing.

Heck, I’m still waiting for HL to stock the newly reissued Streaker Vette. I’ve been waiting and hoping they restock the ‘70 Camaro Full Bumper version too. I doubt they’ll get either kits in their stores anytime soon. Oh well.... it don’t bother me much.

Man... 99% of the kits we all buy and build are "same old same"... thats kinda what this hobby is. A bunch of recycled plastic being pumped into recycled molds being put into boxes with recycled box art in alot of cases.

We do get a new tool once in a blue moon I'll admit, but its very rare these days as you know.

It's all about what we can do with what's available... imagination is the key.

Even walking down the isle of a "vanilla" hobby lobby, its pretty damn hard to not get inspired by looking at the kits... even if they are the same kits that have been sitting there for 3yrs... I can look at the same boxes and get different ideas every time.

How many Mopar builds have we scene on this very forum, that are beautifully executed, stunning to look at and yet still very generic in the fact that they've been done to death for the past 60yrs in some cases? They will continue to be done, because people love them! And want one of every color and trim package.

You can't expect a big box retailer to carry the niche items in our hobby... I don't go in there expecting to see the Fujimi, Tamiya, Aoshima, Hasegawa, or Trumpeter kits that I would like to see. Or photo etch parts etc...

If it's not Revell or Round2 it's not gonna be on those shelves, because they are marketing largely to women and children. We are the minority in the big box retail model world, so its gonna be the things that sell on those shelves or what they can get the cheapest and peddle to women and children.

We just so happen to know they have kits and we frequent when the price is right.

No crime, just general consumer driven capitalism... clearly it works, they keep getting our money wether we are the intended customer or not.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Man... 99% of the kits we all buy and build are "same old same"... thats kinda what this hobby is. A bunch of recycled plastic being pumped into recycled molds being put into boxes with recycled box art in alot of cases.

We do get a new tool once in a blue moon I'll admit, but its very rare these days as you know.

It's all about what we can do with what's available... imagination is the key.

Even walking down the isle of a "vanilla" hobby lobby, its pretty damn hard to not get inspired by looking at the kits... even if they are the same kits that have been sitting there for 3yrs... I can look at the same boxes and get different ideas every time.

How many Mopar builds have we scene on this very forum, that are beautifully executed, stunning to look at and yet still very generic in the fact that they've been done to death for the past 60yrs in some cases? They will continue to be done, because people love them! And want one of every color and trim package.

You can't expect a big box retailer to carry the niche items in our hobby... I don't go in there expecting to see the Fujimi, Tamiya, Aoshima, Hasegawa, or Trumpeter kits that I would like to see. Or photo etch parts etc...

If it's not Revell or Round2 it's not gonna be on those shelves, because they are marketing largely to women and children. We are the minority in the big box retail model world, so its gonna be the things that sell on those shelves or what they can get the cheapest and peddle to women and children.

We just so happen to know they have kits and we frequent when the price is right.

No crime, just general consumer driven capitalism... clearly it works, they keep getting our money wether we are the intended customer or not.

Yeah this is why i shop the evilbay and other online hobby shops.  HL is pretty much trash except for a few things, and mom and pop shops i barely go to anymore cause I'm not paying $80+ for a japan kit sorry. I will go to hobby town more than any other shop cause they just have more to offer, but i do judge there prices based off online prices with shipping.  There is another shop he cut half model car selection down and increased his plane kits guess he wasn't selling enough car kits.  That's why i venture out of the car world and get into military stuff, ships, planes, bikes, big rigs and trailers, because cars just get boring after awhile even buying them lol.  Also the only "new tool" we usually get from AMT etc is maybe a new bumper or new rims while still putting the sprue gate on the lip of the rims SMH.  I also wish they would stop putting chrome in the kits to save time from having to strip that, but i know that will never happen cause not everyone does that. 

10 minutes ago, Dpate said:

Yeah this is why i shop the evilbay and other online hobby shops.  HL is pretty much trash except for a few things, and mom and pop shops i barely go to anymore cause I'm not paying $80+ for a japan kit sorry. I will go to hobby town more than any other shop cause they just have more to offer, but i do judge there prices based off online prices with shipping.  There is another shop he cut half model car selection down and increased his plane kits guess he wasn't selling enough car kits.  That's why i venture out of the car world and get into military stuff, ships, planes, bikes, big rigs and trailers, because cars just get boring after awhile even buying them lol.  Also the only "new tool" we usually get from AMT etc is maybe a new bumper or new rims while still putting the sprue gate on the lip of the rims SMH.  I also wish they would stop putting chrome in the kits to save time from having to strip that, but i know that will never happen cause not everyone does that. 

I just scored another gem on evilbay myself... Fujimi enthusiast BMW M635... in the Testors boxing. Another "Make offer" steal at $27 shipped.

I don't pay nowhere near $80 for a Japanese kit... I shop plaza Japan I just ordered 10 kits for $284...

But I feel ya.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

I just scored another gem on evilbay myself... Fujimi enthusiast BMW M635... in the Testors boxing. Another "Make offer" steal at $27 shipped.

I don't pay nowhere near $80 for a Japanese kit... I shop plaza Japan I just ordered 10 kits for $284...

But I feel ya.

Yeah i love plaza japan.  I'll order from them when i can splurge and make up for the shipping.

8 minutes ago, Dpate said:

Yeah i love plaza japan.  I'll order from them when i can splurge and make up for the shipping.

Yea, it's best to buy in bulk for sure... shipping is a big expense but when the average kit is $15 its hard to pass up when you see someone selling that same kit here for $50 or more.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 10:04 PM, slusher said:

Must find those bargains where you can!

When ordering online I will look to see if they have free shipping over an amount. Why pay the shipping when you can pay for 1 or 2 more kits you will buy anyway. 

If that is not in the Budget then you can't do it. But if you can that is a good way to buy also. 

• Like 1