Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

On 11/22/2022 at 8:49 AM, mikemodeler said:

Do us cheap modelers pay MSRP? Most of us do not, we know which online sellers and LHS have discounted the prices of kits. 

I've usually used Model Roundup for kits I can't find locally, but if I'm not mistaken, they're always MSRP. I'm currently looking for an online vendor with lower prices. Any suggestions? 

16 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I've usually used Model Roundup for kits I can't find locally, but if I'm not mistaken, they're always MSRP. I'm currently looking for an online vendor with lower prices. Any suggestions? 

Wes's Model Corner is in the NE corner of Tennessee. Wes and his crew offer decent pricing and fast service on current kits and some older stuff. They are also expanding their supplies to include paint and accessories. Here's a link to his store:   https://wesmodelcarcorner.myshopify.com/

I have also used Burbank Hobbies out of California, fast service and great selection of kits and hobby related items.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Stopped by Ollie’s this afternoon. Took me awhile to find the kits. They weren’t in the toys aisle nor the where the other toys displays for Christmas are usually placed. Found them near the arts & crafts section .... which made no sense. They had the Snap kits and quite a few Monogram ‘56 Chevy kits as advertised. They are the reissued kits from the original light blue version from Monogram. I also noticed there were. couple airplane Snap kits (SR-71 Blackbird & F-14 Tomcat)

Grabbed the ‘56 Chevy kit. 

5 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Something I saw at my local Hobby Lobby today which kinda irks me. The older kits that were on the shelf for months are marked at the new higher price of 39.99. These are kits that were purchased before the price hike and should not be priced at the new prices. 

Well James....that sucks but if the government can price Gough and get away with it others will follow.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Well James....that sucks but if the government can price Gough and get away with it others will follow.

Yep reason why my rent went up extra $200 a month. Why? Lets just say there aren't enough curse words in the English language to say why LOL

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Something I saw at my local Hobby Lobby today which kinda irks me. The older kits that were on the shelf for months are marked at the new higher price of 39.99. These are kits that were purchased before the price hike and should not be priced at the new prices. 

Seems like HL gives their individual store managers quite a bit of leeway as far as what they can do.

I haven't seen that at mine - seems like they've been leaving the pricing as-is until stuff sells and the new stuff rotates in.  I stopped in today, and they still had a fair amount of kits at the old prices.  Got another AMT '55 Bel Air for $17.99 after the 40% off.

Also got an AMT Wild Hoss Bronco, which was stickered at $32.99.  40% off still gets it below $20 before tax, which is a deal.  Seems like most of the prices on the new AMT kits are more reasonable vs. the Revell.

I haven't seen the Revell '29 roadsters at my local HL for months.  They finally had them back in stock today, but stickered at $39.99.  I've got plenty already, so hard pass on those.  If it had been the '30 coupe, I might have bit and got ONE.

Edited by Robberbaron

20 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Wes's Model Corner is in the NE corner of Tennessee. Wes and his crew offer decent pricing and fast service on current kits and some older stuff. They are also expanding their supplies to include paint and accessories. Here's a link to his store:   https://wesmodelcarcorner.myshopify.com/

I have also used Burbank Hobbies out of California, fast service and great selection of kits and hobby related items.

Thats extremely close to my neck of the woods... didn't even know about it so thanks!

18 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Do they have a new higher price sticker over the old sticker? Or are they new stock that reflects the new higher price?

8 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Do they have a new higher price sticker over the old sticker? Or are they new stock that reflects the new higher price?

Would be kinda awkward to have 2 identical kits on the shelf with a 33% difference in price. 🤣

Not saying one way or the other, but that's just a funny thought.

14 minutes ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Would be kinda awkward to have 2 identical kits on the shelf with a 33% difference in price. 🤣

Not saying one way or the other, but that's just a funny thought.

I can see on some of kits where the old price sticker was removed and a new one put on. Not all were like that though, could have been old kits but new stock. But this HL does not sell a lot of kits, every time I'm there I'm always the only one on that aisle.

3 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

I can see on some of kits where the old price sticker was removed and a new one put on. Not all were like that though, could have been old kits but new stock. But this HL does not sell a lot of kits, every time I'm there I'm always the only one on that aisle.

Same, I have rarely ever encountered another person in that isle myself.

Just had another interesting experience at the HL in our area that makes me want to think twice about stopping by again. Yesterday, after a late afternoon lunch, my wife and I went to HL to check for new kits. They hadn't been put on the shelves yet though the kits came in Wednesday morning. While talking to a kit knowledgeable employee the manager came over and told the guy to go to another part of the store and then just walked away. The employee and I were not pleased with the way he did that. I saw another employee that I knew and when I inquired about the new kits we both thought it would be better if I came back today and took a look. Today, no new kits on the shelves and full stock boxes on the floor. The manager was one aisle over putting up new stock. When asked if there were any new model kits he just looked at me and said he didn't know. The stock shipment papers were about three feet away in the open and he would not look to see what had come in, even though he was using the paperwork for pricing new stock. Told us to just come back later and look. We had already made two 24 mile round trips and he thought little of telling us to do it again.  When he was standing there where everything was. Nice attitude for a manager to display to a customer. And no, I did not purchase any new kits while we were there.

Joe

Edited by Joe Nunes

3 hours ago, Joe Nunes said:

Just had another interesting experience at the HL in our area that makes me want to think twice about stopping by again. Yesterday, after a late afternoon lunch, my wife and I went to HL to check for new kits. They hadn't been put on the shelves yet though the kits came in Wednesday morning. While talking to a kit knowledgeable employee the manager came over and told the guy to go to another part of the store and then just walked away. The employee and I were not pleased with the way he did that. I saw another employee that I knew and when I inquired about the new kits we both thought it would be better if I came back today and took a look. Today, no new kits on the shelves and full stock boxes on the floor. The manager was one aisle over putting up new stock. When asked if there were any new model kits he just looked at me and said he didn't know. The stock shipment papers were about three feet away in the open and he would not look to see what had come in, even though he was using the paperwork for pricing new stock. Told us to just come back later and look. We had already made two 24 mile round trips and he thought little of telling us to do it again.  When he was standing there where everything was. Nice attitude for a manager to display to a customer. And no, I did not purchase any new kits while we were there.

Joe

Sounds like a walmart environment.  If that ever happened to me they would lose my business instantly even though there slowly losing it anyways lol.

10 minutes ago, Dpate said:

Sounds like a walmart environment.  If that ever happened to me they would lose my business instantly even though there slowly losing it anyways lol.

I don't waste my time with HL anymore. It's an hour drive each way and basically for nothing. I liked it better with the 40% off coupon so I would at least buy a can of paint or something. But they never seems to have anything new with kits so it's not worth the time anymore. A few good people on Market Place have kits cheaper and are more appreciative of my purchases. 

7 hours ago, Joe Nunes said:

Joe

Wow.... if it were me, I’d tell that manager I wasn’t talking to him. And since he claimed he “doesn’t know” if any new kits are coming in and you saw the stock shipment paper, I’d would have taken a look at that order form. But... after being satisfied with my findings, I would have asked that manager for his name, thank him for the sh***y attitude toward a customer and definitely let him know I will be reporting him HIS boss of the company for being rude.

Most likely he may not take it seriously nor care. “Watch me...” would be my final parting shot at him.

Give him a reason to get nervous on the threat. Why? Because the customer is always right and I can and will file a complaint against him.

Not the first time I’ve dealt with managers with crappy attitudes.

I believe he knew what my thoughts were regarding the situation when we left the store.  If not it’s a moot point now as I most likely won’t be shopping there for kits.  And, I got to thinking about this when I was at the bench this evening; he may well have done me a favor.  I looked around the shop and there’s at least 150 plastic kits/projects including car, truck, aircraft and ships. Plus another 8 wooden ship kits and a number of wood aircraft projects.  I really don’t need anymore kits at the age of 72 years.  Heck, as slow as I build I probably won’t be able to build the kits that are in my shop now.  Just depends on how one looks at it I guess; I definitely didn’t care for his attitude but then again the outcome of his brush off might work out for the best after all. 

Joe

Edited by Joe Nunes

3 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Here’s a strange one regarding the ‘56 Bel Air kit from Ollie’s. Noticed the Ollie’s price sticker is UNDERNEATH the shrink wrap - not on top of the shrink wrap cellophane....

Round2 seemed to be doing special runs for Ollie's the last couple years so it's not out of the question for Revell to have done it as well. 

3 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Here’s a strange one regarding the ‘56 Bel Air kit from Ollie’s. Noticed the Ollie’s price sticker is UNDERNEATH the shrink wrap - not on top of the shrink wrap cellophane....

11 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

Round2 seemed to be doing special runs for Ollie's the last couple years so it's not out of the question for Revell to have done it as well. 

Not sure why people keep posting about Ollies in this thread for HL?

There's a separate Ollies thread:

Edited by Robberbaron
  • Like 1