Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

11 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Not sure why people keep posting about Ollies in this thread for HL?

There's a separate Ollies thread:

Wow... nick pick much? Relax. Not everybody is perfect. Who cares if it was posted in the wrong thread. I hate folks who micro manages everything  that goes on here. I have zero patience to deal with BS from people like you.

• Haha 1

Why the mention of competitors?  People are comparing prices, that's all.  HL might have a limited selection as they're picking items with mass appeal as opposed to niche interests.  Ollie's, meanwhile, isn't really choosing at all...they get what they get, which is either overstock from other stores, or excess production from manufacturers.  

16 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Here’s a strange one regarding the ‘56 Bel Air kit from Ollie’s. Noticed the Ollie’s price sticker is UNDERNEATH the shrink wrap - not on top of the shrink wrap cellophane....

Yes. I said that too. And it say Ollies in the fine print on the side so it was made for them to sell. 

On 12/6/2022 at 6:35 AM, bluestringer said:

40% off 2 weeks straight at HL? I was there last week and picked up a kit at 40% off and now see it's still on this week. Next week would be the scheduled week for it, wonder if it will continue, maybe through the holidays? 

Probably - they did it last year. Notice the sales are concurrent for some items most likely to sell more during Christmas. Models, Puzzles, Art supplies, Wrapping Paper, Gift Bags, Paper Plates, Napkins, etc.

Longer sales means more sales!

Edited by Oldcarfan27

Just hit the Hobby Lobby in Waco. Pretty decent selection of kits at 40% off, no coupon required. I got a Revell Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, an MPC 78 Dodge pickup for cheap, and I also picked up a couple of Revell 29 Roadsters which they now have at list price of 39.99. I won't be buying new kits at that price. Tomorrow is last day of the sale. For now.

Hit my Salem, OR HL today. Got another parts donor Pro Street Nova for $13.79. I also grabbed some paints, brushes, Molotow, and other detailing stuff from other departments. The shelves were pretty well stocked with kits I already have. I did see an empty spot for the new Revell 71 442 I have been hankering for.

Well, I’m going to bite my tongue and perhaps go back to the HL store today to see if there’s anything new on the shelves. Didn’t buy any new kits during the last three trips as the new stock boxes were not even open. My wife and I took a trip Thursday with plans to stop in at two different hobby stores within a couple hours drive. We ended up having a nice quiet ride instead…both of the hobby shops had closed up for good within the last two months. Sad for sure, however, I think it’s inevitable. One of the shops was replaced by a business dealing in electronic games and he was making a go of it, lots of stock on the shelves to sell albeit not a model kit in sight. 

Joe

Edited by Joe Nunes

Stopped in the HL this afternoon and picked up the Amt '64 442 Hardtop kit, first time I have seen this kit on the shelf, and a small sailing ship kit at 40% off. Quite a number of empty spaces; will check them out later this week when the new stock arrives. Asked the store manager who was standing at the end of the aisle if the 40% pricing would continue through Christmas and he just looked at me and said, "Well, it's going on this week."... and walked away.

Geeeeze!

Joe

edit:  you know, at the age of 72 years, I am finding out there are times when I really have to bite my tongue around some folks. 

Edited by Joe Nunes

4 hours ago, Joe Nunes said:

you know, at the age of 72 years, I am finding out there are times when I really have to bite my tongue around some folks. 

Why? If someone feels they can be dismissive and rude it doesn't mean you can't call them out for it. Why shouldn't you be able to point out their comments or responses are not acceptable.

The HL store closest to me had a manager that was quite the repugnant little jerk. He was beyond rude when I questioned the availability of some art supplies I previously purchased there. When I told him his response was unbecoming for someone in his position he actually kicked me out of the store. A call to HL corporate fixed that very quickly although I've never returned, instead patronizing the other 2 stores relatively close to me. If you encounter rude behavior from HL management don't hesitate to call their corporate office. At least in my experience they took it very seriously. 

Edited by Phirewriter

Just got an e-mail from Hobby Lobby on their latest ad. They have clearance on hobbies up to 80 percent, on-line. I checked it out! All the kits listed in clearance are at the 40 percent off level! This is on-line and not in the store. Most kits were the ones by Amt, and Revell with the newest box art, that were slow sellers that modelers already had or are not interested in. If you don't have a Hobby Lobby close to you and want to order on-line, now is the time to stock up for the winter building season! Good Luck in your hunt! Merry Christmas!

Edited by paul alflen
spelling

On 12/13/2022 at 7:42 AM, paul alflen said:

Just got an e-mail from Hobby Lobby on their latest ad. They have clearance on hobbies up to 80 percent, on-line. I checked it out! All the kits listed in clearance are at the 40 percent off level! This is on-line and not in the store. Most kits were the ones by Amt, and Revell with the newest box art, that were slow sellers that modelers already had or are not interested in. If you don't have a Hobby Lobby close to you and want to order on-line, now is the time to stock up for the winter building season! Good Luck in your hunt! Merry Christmas!

Good luck on ordering model kits thru HL. I’ve heard stories HL sending wrong kits because they don’t know the difference between a Revell, MPC, or AMT model kit.

5 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Good luck on ordering model kits thru HL. I’ve heard stories HL sending wrong kits because they don’t know the difference between a Revell, MPC, or AMT model kit.

Happened to me. When I called they said to return it to a store. Once at the store they said I had to send it back. I ended up just keeping it. Went today. Nothing I didn't already have. 

When you order kits online at hobby lobby you need to look and see if there is a disclaimer in the information on the kit saying that the kit you get may not match the photo. Some kits are sold by subject, they'll have 2 or 3 kits of a similar subject and they decide which to send. If you want a specific kit in that group you have to order on the phone.