Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

Stopped in at the local HL yesterday and there were a lot of empty spaces on the model area shelves. Nothing new, and, no one else standing in the area while I was there. Still had some of the older kit offerings although they all carried the higher price tag. 

Joe

2 hours ago, slusher said:

it is what it is seems the way it’s going to be now..

Yepper, I believe you are correct. Thinking about spending a bit more time at the yard and garage sales when they start up again next Spring. And stopping by the thrift stores too. 

Joe

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 9:56 AM, stavanzer said:

Found Out we have a guy here in town, going to HL and buying everything in stock and then re-listing it of Facebook Marketplace,  Offer-up and Craigslist.

He is cleaning out the shelves at 40% off, and then trying to sell it all himself at higher prices. I  know, Buy Lo, & Sell HI, This is not good. Worse, I thought he was a friend. Now, I find out he is doing this. Being a Pro-active Go-Getter? Fine. Buying out all of HL's kits to try to make money? Not Cool. 

WE will see what happens when the 40% off sales go back to every other week.

Unfortunately this could mess it up for everyone. Especially if too many people do it. I'm sure that by doing the 40 percent off HL is expecting to see paint and supplies. Hopefully they will put a limit on the number of kits that.can be purchased at the 40 percent off rather than kill it.

Besides I can't see that when you add the.cost of shipping and a profit the prices are going to be that attractive.

• Like 2

Went today to get a display case. Shelves were about 60% full. All newer Revell kits were $37.99 to 39.99. Oddly older monogram kits like 66 Mustang Hertz was $24.99. AMT were $32.99 to 39.99.  I did pick up a Revell C8 racing Corvette by Revell for 40% off $37.99. 

PS: went by the WalMart and they had kits. Got the KW cement mixer for $32....OK deal.  This was not my local WM.....no kits there. 

Edited by Dave Van
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Not really a HL issue. A wholesale sight for dealers is showing 2023 kits MSRP in the $40-50 range for regular kits. Hobby biz must be doing OK if they can charge thus and stik=ll sell kits. 

That's going to be interesting to see how the higher prices affect sales, if at all. HL has lost it's novelty on me. Same kits, most of the time it's just pandemonium in the store. It's cheaper for me to pick up kits at my LHS than it is to go to HL even with the 40% off! Not to mention I get better service at the LHS. 

On 12/21/2022 at 1:19 AM, Bills72sj said:

Stopped my Salem HL today because it is kit restock day. Pretty full shelves except for the empty 71 Cutlass shelf.

Just curious: how do you know when it's "kit restock day" at your HL?  Do you have someone on the inside that tips you off?  Or does yours restock on a regular schedule?

Seems like there's no rhyme or reason to mine.  I stopped in 2 different times in the week before Christmas, and it was obvious they hadn't restocked recently.

Stopped in again today since I was running errands nearby.  Still basically the same stuff from before Christmas, with the shelves 3/4 empty (for automotive kits).

Edited by Robberbaron

16 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Just curious: how do you know when it's "kit restock day" at your HL?  Do you have someone on the inside that tips you off?  Or does yours restock on a regular schedule?

Seems like there's no rhyme or reason to mine.  I stopped in 2 different times in the week before Christmas, and it was obvious they hadn't restocked recently.

Stopped in again today since I was running errands nearby.  Still basically the same stuff from before Christmas, with the shelves 3/4 empty (for automotive kits).

The store I visit gets kits on Friday and puts it an the shelf on Saturday! You see the stack in buggies or boxes 📦 

On 12/30/2022 at 9:51 PM, Robberbaron said:

A friend of mine stops in more regularly than I do. He noticed the trend on his visits. When I started going on Tuesdays, the stock was better. Also, one of the staff later told me it is late Monday if they have the staff available.

On 12/31/2022 at 6:15 PM, Dave Van said:

When I was at my HL Thursday they had dozens of their shipping boxes ready to unload in the kit/hobby area. I looked in a few, restocks....but I could only look in 2 of them. 

I stopped it to the Monroe MI store on Thursday and there were 4 boxes on the floor filled with stuff for that Isle. A large number of robots models and a few of the rehash  same old kits I already have. I looked through all of the boxes. LOL 

17 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

I stopped it to the Monroe MI store on Thursday and there were 4 boxes on the floor filled with stuff for that Isle. A large number of robots models and a few of the rehash  same old kits I already have. I looked through all of the boxes. LOL 

No surprise they’re restocking the same old, same old. I find it funny folks thinks they’re hoping and getting a whole new batch of model kits than the usual stuff.

I went to HL couple weeks back with a friend and they had couple new kits they never had before, but nothing to wanna drive a hour trip for.  Hobbytown, and two mom and pop shops have took all my business because they sell more than just the run of the mill AMT and Revell kit.  Unless there is something very specific i need that the other shops don't have or i can't order it than that soccer mom store is pretty much dead to me lol. 

One thing to check when you see an open slot on the model shelf is the label that shows what is supposed to be in that slot. In the past I have seen a listing for a model that I knew was coming and they hadn't stocked in the past. They may be tagging a slot for the inventory comes in. 

On 12/28/2022 at 12:56 PM, stavanzer said:

Found Out we have a guy here in town, going to HL and buying everything in stock and then re-listing it of Facebook Marketplace,  Offer-up and Craigslist.

He is cleaning out the shelves at 40% off, and then trying to sell it all himself at higher prices. I  know, Buy Lo, & Sell HI, This is not good. Worse, I thought he was a friend. Now, I find out he is doing this. Being a Pro-active Go-Getter? Fine. Buying out all of HL's kits to try to make money? Not Cool. 

Ollie’s has signs that state they reserve the right to limit quantities, but I’ve seen people in the store with two full carts of dry goods like they were stocking a bodega or something!

In my HL I asked why there were never kits in the clearance area. A manager told me there was one guy who came in every day and would buy it all. 

Which reminds me of the early days of eBay, back before most auctions had pictures. A guy in my model club would go to Walmart and put all the NASCAR diecast in Lay Away. Then he’d list it all!  Every week he’d go pay for whatever sold with the buyers money!  I thought he as ingenious!

And that’s the American way!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keef said:

I almost picked up the 67 Camaro kit. Curious to see what the new decal sheet looks like.

Decals are the only good thing in the kit. Stripes for 4 different colors. The windows are smaller than openings, parts do not fit well.....a mess of issues.....but I finished it as  a movie car.....My own wheels and tires....NOT kit!

49086035_81CAMARO(3).JPG.d4cb37a9d994b96d61c4a468e0f8595c.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hadn't stopped at my local HL in several weeks.  Stopped in yesterday and they FINALLY had restocked (somewhat).  Had several more of the new release Revell kits, including the '71 442.  I'd really been looking forward to getting a couple of those, but I'm gun-shy of getting one right now after seeing all those mangled A-pillars.

Still haven't seen the '37 Ford pickup or the '32 Roadster at this location.  I was pleasantly surprised to find one lone AMT "Chopped T" double kit.  Haven't seen that one here in probably a year, and it was still stickered at $29.99 to boot, so that one followed me home.  The bulk of the Round 2 kits at my store are still stickered at $29.99, or have only jumped a couple bucks (Wild Boss Bronco is $32.99, for example).

My LHS has been closed since the owner passed away at the end of October, and it looks like it probably won't be reopening, unfortunately.  So now HL and Michaels are my only consistent brick and mortar options for buying kits, which is a pretty p-poor situation.  (my purchase ratio used to be about 50/50).