Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

16 hours ago, styromaniac said:

Let us know how they work out. I read elsewhere here that if you got the Testors metalizers in the rattle cans with the Rustoleum name on them you bought a different formulation that didn't work as well as the original Testors.

All my cans have Rust-oleum on them. I only started using it about a year ago so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Hobby Lobby Day One without the 40% off coupon.

We wanted to go Saturday but weather kept us home....good thing as the basement flooded!

So cleanup we went today. I had checked the HL website to see if there was info on any coupons or what was 'on sale'. Per their website they will run sales in each department from time to time with all items in said department discounted 30 to 50 percent. It was also noted that all items with the yellow and red 'YOUR PRICE' price sticker WILL NOT BE discounted ever. OK......

Model section was pretty well stocked but nothing there I needed at MSRP. No paints were on close out like some stores are doing. I did note that ALL Tamiya products have been replaced by 'MR' hobby products. Primers, glue and clear coats. So sadly not more cheap and easy Tamyia primer. 

While checking the close out area for kits or paint, none, I saw some new items in the doll house area.....I check for items I use on my model railroad. I saw a new series of 1/24 scale dioramas. There were little scenes,  small stores and houses, all in 1/24. They were a little cutesy for scale model use but had a lot of useable stuff. I picked up a Music store at $20.....which had the 'Your Price' sticker PRINTED on the box. 

The kit is pretty cool. It includes a hobby knife, tweezers, phillips screwdriver, scissors, a metric ruler, 2 kinds of glue. All items are pre printed or painted so no paint needed.  The foot print is about 12 x 8 inches. As I said I doubt I'll build it as is......I will used the details, like a complete drum set, for details on a more traditional store for a diorama. These kits, which start at $8, would be great for any teen in the family that likes doll houses or model building.  PS the kits have a number of LED's with battery box for working lights! 

music.jpg

As we walked around the store with my wife I noted many new stock items had the yellow and red 'YOUR PRICE' stickers printed on them. So HL must be entering into agreements with suppliers for items made only for HL. What this menas for hobby kits??? Maybe nothing.....but I can see how if this comes to model kits it may be a sticker.....but who knows.....time will see. 

Short term I think HL will see a downturn in kit sales. As if there was nothing I NEEDED when I shopped.....at 40% I could find something to justify my 2 hour drive!  And I still spent $20 today w/o coupon so maybe they are doing right for them. Thx

Edited by Dave Van

13 hours ago, Dave Van said:

While checking the close out area for kits or paint, none, I saw some new items in the doll house area.....I check for items I use on my model railroad. I saw a new series of 1/24 scale dioramas. There were little scenes,  small stores and houses, all in 1/24. They were a little cutesy for scale model use but had a lot of useable stuff. I picked up a Music store at $20.....which had the 'Your Price' sticker PRINTED on the box. 

The kit is pretty cool. It includes a hobby knife, tweezers, phillips screwdriver, scissors, a metric ruler, 2 kinds of glue. All items are pre printed or painted so no paint needed.  The foot print is about 12 x 8 inches. As I said I doubt I'll build it as is......I will used the details, like a complete drum set, for details on a more traditional store for a diorama. These kits, which start at $8, would be great for any teen in the family that likes doll houses or model building.  PS the kits have a number of LED's with battery box for working lights! 

Looks like there are 4 "storefront" kits. Bookstore, coffee shop, music studio and cafe. Wish they had more of a vintage feel as a quick scan reveals they are modern styled. But could still provide a cool backdrop for model displays. I'll check them out in person the next time I'm at HL.

I went last night & picked up 2 Foose 56 pickups & some other odds & ends. The best part of the trip was watching a father & son (the kid had to be about 13) pick out a fox body Mustang kit and all the paints and supplies to build it. Next gen builders are still out there.

On 3/3/2021 at 9:30 AM, paul alflen said:

as of  today coupon is still on my phone! I think DAVE Van said there would be a two-week grace period before they refuse them. My coupon on my phone expires on 3/6/21 and you cannot use it on "your price" items. 

The current coupon must be regional because it’s no longer on their website as I viewed it from Pennsylvania.

Went to HL today, mid-south Tennessee to take advantage of the coupen that says on the app valid thru March 6.  Nope, clerk tried to ring it up with the coupen and NOPE, register wouldn't take it. Complaining fell of deft ears.  But she said, models will be 40% off next week. WTH🙄  Oh, and still no markdown on the Testors paints.

i went to  hobby lobby on friday   and none of the kits or paints were on sale i  found out they only run the 40 percent  off  the price of each kit and model supplies every other week not every week  i did not end up getting any kits there  i  left and walked down a few stores in the  plaza it is in to the michael's craft store and got two revell build and play snap kits  the price tag on the shelf for both  said  17.99 and when paid for them each one was 16.99  i did not use a coupon or any  type of  rewards card so  i do not know if they just started to knock a dollar off the shelf price  or what  and then i went to a small  shop  a mile away from that plaza  that  was set up like a old school general  store it even had a rustic look to the building and vintage looking sign    but  they also sell model kits  and model railroading stuff also  i got a revell california wheels alternomad kit for 19.99  and  a bottle of the rew revell  clear gloss for a trade i am doing  
the 2 people who run the store told me if it is avialible they  can order it in and it will always be 5-6 dollars cheaper then  normal msrp 

Edited by michelle

Went by the local HL yesterday and found 1 "new" kit:  the Round 2 '60 Chevy pickup with go-kart.  Grrrr!  I waited MONTHS for HL to get that kit when it was first released, so I could buy it for 40% off.  None of the 3 HL stores near me ever got it in.  So I finally gave up and bought it online.

That also happened with the Revell Porsche Jr. tractor.  I waited and waited, ending up buying it online.  About a week later the kit showed up in HL. 

As with so many things HL, there seems to be no rhyme or reason when new kits will show up.  This local store already has the '66 Buick Wildcat, 007 Galaxie and Mustang, and a few other very recent releases.