Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

19 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Sure, if you're planning to buy multiple kits at a time. 

I'd love to buy multiple kits at time, but they're sure making it hard with their stagnant selection the last couple years (even pre-covid)

You can still buy a single kit at 40% off.

17 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Testors Wet Look Clear is still available at Hobby Lobby on line. I just ordered two. 5.99 each. don't know how many more they have.

I just tried adding as many as it would let me to my cart - it maxed out at 9233 cans...so I guess they have decent stock of it :D

18 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

You can still buy a single kit at 40% off.

Yes, you sure can. I've never said you can't. What I'm saying is...

1- if there is no kit i want I'm not buying ANYTHING because I don't have that "golden ticket" coupon. Instead of buying SOMETHING, I now generally buy NOTHING. And it's not a protest to the new policy or anything. But when I had that single item 40% of coupon I almost always walked out having spent money. Now they get $0

2- Their lack of turnover in the kit selection over the last couple+ years makes it hard for me to buy ONE kit, let alone several. So the 40% off the entire model selection is pointless if they can't give me ONE kit to purchase.

No more response is required. If you don't understand my point by this time in the exchange it's pointless. I've wasted enough time on something so trivial in the grand scheme of life already

4 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

1- if there is no kit i want I'm not buying ANYTHING because I don't have that "golden ticket" coupon. Instead of buying SOMETHING, I now generally buy NOTHING. And it's not a protest to the new policy or anything. But when I had that single item 40% of coupon I almost always walked out having spent money. Now they get $0

2- Their lack of turnover in the kit selection over the last couple+ years makes it hard for me to buy ONE kit, let alone several. So the 40% off the entire model selection is pointless if they can't give me ONE kit to purchase.

No more response is required. If you don't understand my point by this time in the exchange it's pointless. I've wasted enough time on something so trivial in the grand scheme of life already

Fun fact...., they don't care because 99% of customers are crafters, not model kit hobbyists. So your argument and view of Hobby Lobby is pretty much a moot point.

50 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Fun fact...., they don't care because 99% of customers are crafters, not model kit hobbyists. So your argument and view of Hobby Lobby is pretty much a moot point.

I was there today and nothing has changed since I was last there three months ago.

Asked the guy inventorying the paints which are almost non-existent, about the same kits and he said they aren't selling and the manager is looking at reducing the size of the display as they do sell.

I noticed their military section was already reduced to about 2/3 of what it once was.

I was in the Flint store on Thursday last week when the kits were off sale and found a Racer's Wedge and a Fire Chief Impala. I "hid" the Wedge behind a Batmobile kit hoping it would still be there Monday morning so I could grab it for 40% off. I got there at 9:05 on Monday morning and both the Racer's Wedge and Fire Chief Impala were gone. Now, I'm pretty sure nobody came in earlier than me and bought them, so to me that means someone paid full price. Or shnockered a cashier over the weekend to give them the sale price. Kind of a head-scratcher, unless the buyer was not very informed about models or the every other week sales, as to why one would pay full price for a kit there when there is a sale every other week. It did look like a few kits got re-stocked and the section got straightened in-between my visits, and I looked behind everything to no avail, so I just kind of shook my head and left empty handed. I don't know when or how often they get stock in, so I'll probably check again on Thursday or Friday.

2 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

I was there today and nothing has changed since I was last there three months ago.

Asked the guy inventorying the paints which are almost non-existent, about the same kits and he said they aren't selling and the manager is looking at reducing the size of the display as they do sell.

I noticed their military section was already reduced to about 2/3 of what it once was.

Their military kits are pretty dismal.... mostly Revell or Airfix - not that there’s anyth8ng wrong with Airfix kits. Armor is usually Tamiya and maybe Monogram. 

I usually make a stop at HL every 2 or 3 months or if I need paint/supplies. Honestly, every Hobby Lobby store is different so you never know until you go. 

1 hour ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Their military kits are pretty dismal.... mostly Revell or Airfix - not that there’s anyth8ng wrong with Airfix kits. Armor is usually Tamiya and maybe Monogram. 

Very dismal!  IIRC, my closest HL only has 2 1/35 scale Tamiya military kits: the old M4 Sherman and the M-41 Walker Bulldog.  This store also has the Monogram M-48 Patton and Panzer IV kits, and the antique Revell "Black Magic" Sherman.  Also the Atlantis re-pop of the really ancient Aurora 1/48 scale M-46 Patton.  That's about it for armor.  Unless you count the big Airfix 1/72 scale "D-Day Battleground Set." 

I keep hoping they'll get some 1/35 scale armor kits that were released in this century, but it hasn't happened so far.  

Car kits aren't much better.  Since it's 40% Off Week, I stopped in yesterday.  Nothing new.  I was excited a couple of weeks ago when I happened to stop right after the delivery truck came and they were re-stocking the shelves.  They got in some aircraft kits and 2 Revell '68 Chargers, but the store already had 2 of those on the shelf.  All 4 were still on the shelf yesterday.

10 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

My thoughts, exactly! I still stop in about once a week, just to see if they got anything new, because I drive right by there all the time. Lately I just drive right by.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cobraman said:

Testors Wet Look Clear is still available at Hobby Lobby on line. I just ordered two. 5.99 each. don't know how many more they have.

Are they goin to stop carrying it, Ray?

6 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I was in the Flint store on Thursday last week when the kits were off sale and found a Racer's Wedge and a Fire Chief Impala. I "hid" the Wedge behind a Batmobile kit hoping it would still be there Monday morning so I could grab it for 40% off. I got there at 9:05 on Monday morning and both the Racer's Wedge and Fire Chief Impala were gone. Now, I'm pretty sure nobody came in earlier than me and bought them, so to me that means someone paid full price. Or shnockered a cashier over the weekend to give them the sale price. Kind of a head-scratcher, unless the buyer was not very informed about models or the every other week sales, as to why one would pay full price for a kit there when there is a sale every other week. It did look like a few kits got re-stocked and the section got straightened in-between my visits, and I looked behind everything to no avail, so I just kind of shook my head and left empty handed. I don't know when or how often they get stock in, so I'll probably check again on Thursday or Friday.

I would have put it on the bottom shelf behind a semi. But I would have bought and your still saving shipping.

11 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I would have paid full price, too. If I see something I want and it's the only one, it's coming home with me. And, I always check behind the front row of boxes for things that people have "hidden". I figure if someone else wanted it, they would have bought it, or a store employee was doing a cursory job of straightening up the aisle.

I've missed out on too many kits that I wanted because I waited for any one of many reasons, so I now buy them when I see them.

My local HL which is about 10 min away is starting to get different models in which is good as I was looking at Walmart and Michael's as an alternative and they don't carry much and the discount are not as good as HL.  The HL here has their 40% off every other week like clock work.  When HL dropped their coupons it didn't bother me. Now, instead of pulling my phone out to let them scan the coupon at checkout it already discounted.    

In Knoxville, Tn. Walmart does not carry any modeling supplies, and has not in years. HL selection is sparse at best. We do have a Hobby Town. If you want something, say like any after market items, good luck. On line is the only way I know of in this area to buy any thing after market. So consider yourselves lucky if you can go to your lhs and get your stuff.

My local HL is 35 miles away from me. They run the 40% off sale every other week. I try to make a trip there during the sale week and pick up a kit. I just got back into the hobby a couple months ago so I building up my stash. Most all of you guys here have already done the kits I'm buying. They do seem to have a couple of new kits each time I go. The sale is going on this week so made a trip yesterday and picked up the Revell 29 Ford Model A Roadster. 

1 hour ago, JJ Deuce said:

I got the 29 model A earlier this week.  Every time I go in HL, the sign says all kits are 40% off.   Am I misunderstanding?  I thought it applies to all boxed kits, all the time?

The 40% off sale is every other week.  Next week you shouldn't see the 40% off signs.  Unless they've changed the rules very recently, and it is all the time.  

Stopped in the closest HL today and it had one new car kit: that "Slammer" Chrysler Concorde. 😴

But I did notice something funny.  The '66 Buick Wildcat was priced at $24.99, not $29.99 like all other kits.  The 40% off brought that down to $15.89.  I couldn't resist.  It might become a beater/work car or something similar.

I took the 5 1/2 mile trek back to HL this morning and lucked out and did find a Racer's Wedge truck on the bottom shelf. When you're on a budget, $20 compared to $33 makes a big difference as far as buying or not buying. I took a few pics of the selection at the Flint, Mi store so you guys can compare to your store if you're interested. Also there but not pictured because I didn't get the top shelf was the AMT '34 Ford Pickup Customizing kit, and the Revell Special Edition 2 'n 1 '68 Dodge Charger with 4 copies available. Awfully tempting to grab another one of the Charger's, but I resisted the urge, lol.

IMG_20210813_092110.jpg

IMG_20210813_092122.jpg

IMG_20210813_092137.jpg

Edited by Dragonhawk1066
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Yup... that's basically what my HL has in stock. Not worth making a stop for...

Same here unless I want doubles of any one kit, but I had to have the Wedge, lol. 

10 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Same kits.. pretty much what’s on the market right now.

What’s different is that at my local HL is that they’ll move around the kits to fill holes and make the shelves appear full.. even if only one kit deep.

I have actually not seen my store do that, I keep hoping it's for a shipment of new kits that never materializes, lol. To their credit, they usually seem to make sure to keep them organized and not just "fill holes to make it look full" like other places do.