Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

17 hours ago, Mark said:

For those who are interested, I noticed that the Alumilite resin casting materials are heavily discounted.  That would seem to indicate that HL won't be carrying those items much longer.

Just what I'm in the market to purchase.  I'll have to run to town tomorrow and see if they have it.  Then again, gas to drive 25 miles one way (even in my Civic) to HL puts a dent in the Alumilite savings :(

Thanks for the tip Mark

Edited by hedotwo

On 3/13/2022 at 11:30 AM, hedotwo said:

Just what I'm in the market to purchase.  I'll have to run to town tomorrow and see if they have it.  Then again, gas to drive 25 miles one way (even in my Civic) to HL puts a dent in the Alumilite savings :(

Thanks for the tip Mark

I used to use that stuff many years ago for my 1/18 wheels mostly until they changed the formula (probably to save money) and they have never worked right again. I should have been done with it then. I tried casting a wheel about 2 years ago and can you believe the stuff got even worse. The resin seems to work on my old molds but when they are done, partys over. The silicone simply does not work. Theres a reason they are trying to get rid of that stuff. It's worthless!

Edited by Mike C.

On 3/13/2022 at 10:30 AM, hedotwo said:

Don't!  The Alumilite mold rubber they carry sets very quickly, and there are far better options.

2 hours ago, slusher said:

Every little bit helps..

I’d be disappointed if they ARE going to stop stocking those lines - it’s useful to have somewhere close by to me that stocks that stuff…but on the flipside, I’ll stock up if they’re going to drop it all down to cost price I guess 🤪

Good reason to visit the LHS a little more regularly!

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I’d be disappointed if they ARE going to stop stocking those lines - it’s useful to have somewhere close by to me that stocks that stuff…but on the flipside, I’ll stock up if they’re going to drop it all down to cost price I guess 🤪

Good reason to visit the LHS a little more regularly!

Sometimes they put different things on sale to attract different shoppers and to see how it salls to see if it’s worth carrying certain sizes.  The one in my area put all display cases on clearance. I bought all 3  of the 1/25 scale a few weeks later all was back but less stock of the smaller sizes..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slusher said:

Sometimes they put different things on sale to attract different shoppers and to see how it salls to see if it’s worth carrying certain sizes.  The one in my area put all display cases on clearance. I bought all 3  of the 1/25 scale a few weeks later all was back but less stock of the smaller sizes..

Didn't they do that when they were just changing the packaging last year? They went from being in boxes, where you couldn't see the condition of the case and I got several that were cracked and had to exchange before i learned to open the box and check. Now they have no box. They put them on clearance to eliminate the old stock (with box).

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 10:15 PM, CabDriver said:

My local HL was discounting all the Evergreen and K&N metals today…presumably they’re dropping those too…

ECEAAEB3-B760-4F51-80DC-18EF4EDD4395.jpeg

At my local store some of the Evergreen strips and rods were marked on clearance, but not all of it. No sheet plastic on clearance either. So I'd guess they are changing the assortment they will stock.

• Like 3

On 3/17/2022 at 6:51 PM, Don Sikora II said:

At my local store some of the Evergreen strips and rods were marked on clearance, but not all of it. No sheet plastic on clearance either. So I'd guess they are changing the assortment they will stock.

I hope so, I need various sizes of plastic strips. I don't have any need for the tubes and rods they currently carry.

And I hope they start carrying BMF too.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

• 1 month later...

You kind of can't beat the every other week 40% off deal so I checked my local stores inventory on line and they had one kit  listed in stock.. when I got there they were all out but they did have 2 kits that the website listed as out of stock. From now on I call first. With the price of gas now you have to.

On 5/2/2022 at 4:38 PM, Mike C. said:

From now on I call first.

Even that’s not the safest bet. Called a Hobby Lobby today while on the road and asked if they had an AMT ‘67 Mustang GT or Shelby GT500 in store. They said yes. I came down to buy it and they had a Maisto diecast sitting on the counter instead. Lesson learned. :unsure:

23 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Even that’s not the safest bet. Called a Hobby Lobby today while on the road and asked if they had an AMT ‘67 Mustang GT or Shelby GT500 in store. They said yes. I came down to buy it and they had a Maisto diecast sitting on the counter instead. Lesson learned. :unsure:

LOLOL!  

On 5/7/2022 at 10:02 PM, Smoke Wagon said:

At least they tried buddy, next time you will say not die cast..

On 5/7/2022 at 10:02 PM, Smoke Wagon said:

12 hours ago, slusher said:

Got a chuckle out of this.  Considering that easily 90% of the employees at my local HL are middle aged women, I'd say you were lucky that they managed to set aside some version of an actual Mustang (as opposed to a Camaro, etc.)

It's just a reminder that to the vast majority of the world, anything smaller than a 1:1 is a "model car", which usually is also equivalent to a "toy car" in their mind.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Got a chuckle out of this.  Considering that easily 90% of the employees at my local HL are middle aged women, I'd say you were lucky that they managed to set aside some version of an actual Mustang (as opposed to a Camaro, etc.)

In that case, don't ask for them to put a Cougar aside for you......

• Haha 5

On 5/9/2022 at 9:03 AM, slusher said:

In my defense I did say “AMT plastic model kit” when describing what I was looking for.

It’s like calling up a hardware store and asking about availability for a specific type of screw, they say yes, so you drive down there and they hand you a box of nails. Sure they’re similar, but they’re not what you asked for.

14 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

It's just a reminder that to the vast majority of the world, anything smaller than a 1:1 is a "model car", which usually is also equivalent to a "toy car" in their mind.

That’s true, but one would think they’d be knowledgeable enough of the products they sell, regardless of their personal interests. It was sorta funny to see the employee all proud of themselves holding up the wrong item though.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 11:15 PM, CabDriver said:

My local HL was discounting all the Evergreen and K&N metals today…presumably they’re dropping those too…

ECEAAEB3-B760-4F51-80DC-18EF4EDD4395.jpeg

Wow $1.24 for 1/8" ali rod....

Where you yelling  "START THE CAR!!!" at the wife when you came out the front door..? lol

Those prices are ...... crazy

Nice steal.. Cheers

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

...It’s like calling up a hardware store and asking about availability for a specific type of screw, they say yes, so you drive down there and they hand you a box of nails. 

...one would think they’d be knowledgeable enough of the products they sell, regardless of their personal interests. 

Slight digression...my last ex would go to Home Despot to get a list of stuff I'd give her (to fix things in her house), inevitably bring back everything wrong (because she'd ask the zit-faced twink what to get to repair a problem rather than buying what I'd listed in excruciating detail), and then scream at ME when I said everything was all wrong and dammit, I'll just go get it myself.

Her logic? "Well...HE WORKS THERE!!! So HE KNOWS BETTER than YOU!!!"

Sounds like another lesson learned...  

16 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Her logic? "Well...HE WORKS THERE!!! So HE KNOWS BETTER than YOU!!!"

Sounds like another lesson learned...  ^_^

• Like 1