Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

On 12/14/2022 at 5:19 PM, Classicgas said:

When you order kits online at hobby lobby you need to look and see if there is a disclaimer in the information on the kit saying that the kit you get may not match the photo. Some kits are sold by subject, they'll have 2 or 3 kits of a similar subject and they decide which to send. If you want a specific kit in that group you have to order on the phone.

On 12/14/2022 at 5:30 PM, keyser said:

“Kit grab bag”

On 12/14/2022 at 8:48 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

Yup.... basically the idea. LOL!

Pretty much the grandma Christmas present attitude:

Wanting a Revell '69 Boss 302 kit, receiving the old 1/24 '71 Hemi Cuda:

"Well, you wanted a model car, didn't you?"

On 12/14/2022 at 5:19 PM, Classicgas said:

When you order kits online at hobby lobby you need to look and see if there is a disclaimer in the information on the kit saying that the kit you get may not match the photo. Some kits are sold by subject, they'll have 2 or 3 kits of a similar subject and they decide which to send. If you want a specific kit in that group you have to order on the phone.

Good to know Lee..

On 12/14/2022 at 6:29 PM, Dave Van said:

Going Friday when wife has DR appt. See if there is anything I NEED!

I hope your wife is doing well Dave, May God bless her..

3 hours ago, slusher said:

I hope your wife is doing well Dave, May God bless her..

Thanks sir!!! In fact the reason we traveled the 2 hours to Hobby Lobby was her final Cancer check up. It was perfect so we are blessed for sure. Thanks for thinking of her. 

BTW: I bought a Revell 80 Camaro and MPC Toyota, $42 plus tax....not bad. 

• Like 3

13DE48E6-F5B9-4899-A742-8B44270AFC33.jpeg.27bac44d9fcbef34f5a9720eecdd6205.jpeg

Just got back from Hobby Lobby. 40% off week but nothing I needed. 

Anyway.. the photo. I use these boxes for my eBay stamp inventory. Pretty much a fancy shoe box.  Note the price went from $2.99 to $4.99 for a frickin cardboard box!

I grabbed up the six at the old price and bought them!   So it’s not just the models guys! 😠😳

Edited by Tom Geiger
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 2:14 PM, Tom Geiger said:

13DE48E6-F5B9-4899-A742-8B44270AFC33.jpeg.27bac44d9fcbef34f5a9720eecdd6205.jpeg

Just got back from Hobby Lobby. 40% off week but nothing I needed. 

Anyway.. the photo. I use these boxes for my eBay stamp inventory. Pretty much a fancy shoe box.  Note the price went from $2.99 to $4.99 for a frickin cardboard box!

I grabbed up the six at the old price and bought them!   So it’s not just the models guys! 😠😳

No... it’s not just models. It’s called INFLATION. Everything has gone up besides model kits in case you hadn’t noticed. Gas, groceries, etc...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackSheep214 said:

No... it’s not just models. It’s called INFLATION. Everything has gone up besides model kits in case you hadn’t noticed. Gas, groceries, etc...

Inflation alone is NOT the sole reason  kits are averaging $40 today.  Per the Inflation calculator a AMT full kit that had a MSRP of $2.00 in 1964 SHOULD sell for $19.27 today. HALF of what a kit is selling for. And then add in that I have a 1965 original issue AMT Ford with a K Mart tag of $1.29 it really shows the difference. 

BUT...it is a combo of inflation AND production numbers. Smaller market, much smaller today than 1954, and you must charge more per kit. Add inflation, demand and 'what the market will bare' and you get a $40 average.  

So if you buy a $35 kit at Hobby Lobby with 40% off sale you can get CLOSE to the cost with inflation alone. thx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2022 at 4:22 PM, Dave Van said:

Thanks sir!!! In fact the reason we traveled the 2 hours to Hobby Lobby was her final Cancer check up. It was perfect so we are blessed for sure. Thanks for thinking of her. 

BTW: I bought a Revell 80 Camaro and MPC Toyota, $42 plus tax....not bad. 

Never forgot since you mentioned it. Kept you both in my prayers..

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Inflation alone is NOT the sole reason  kits are averaging $40 today.  Per the Inflation calculator a AMT full kit that had a MSRP of $2.00 in 1964 SHOULD sell for $19.27 today. HALF of what a kit is selling for. And then add in that I have a 1965 original issue AMT Ford with a K Mart tag of $1.29 it really shows the difference. 

BUT...it is a combo of inflation AND production numbers. Smaller market, much smaller today than 1954, and you must charge more per kit. Add inflation, demand and 'what the market will bare' and you get a $40 average.  

So if you buy a $35 kit at Hobby Lobby with 40% off sale you can get CLOSE to the cost with inflation alone. thx

Don't forget licensing. That wasn't even a factor, not a gleam in any lawyer's eyes in 1964/1965. You can bet it adds a considerable consideration!

• Like 2

On 12/19/2022 at 5:39 PM, Danno said:

Per the Inflation calculator

I take no real stake in these inflation calculators nowadays, as inflation has gone crazy since Covid, especially this past year with the Russia/Ukraine conflict being the top excuse for that. Last week for instance, my wife and I bought eggs for baking by the 1 1/2 dozen package for $3.69, which was previously $2.99 a few months ago and $1.99 pre-covid. That same carton of eggs today is now $5.09, so no "inflation calculator" can be taken seriously right now. Kit prices are where they are right now because they can be and we, as general hobbyists, are still buying them, although I'm not at regular retail.

Edited by Dragonhawk1066
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I take no real stake in these inflation calculators nowadays, as inflation has gone crazy since Covid, especially this past year with the Russia/Ukraine conflict being the top excuse for that. Last week for instance, my wife and I bought eggs for baking by the 1 1/2 dozen package for $3.69, which was previously $2.99 a few months ago and $1.99 pre-covid. That same carton of eggs today is now $5.09, so no "inflation calculator" can be taken seriously right now. Kit prices are where they are right now because they can be and we, as general hobbyists, are still buying them, although I'm not at regular retail.

Kinda reminded me of my sis-in-law complaining about Pillsbury Ready to Use pie dough cost her $5. I told her I got the same product at Walmart $2 cheaper. LOLOLOL! Told her go to Walmart instead of Hannafords.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Stopped my Salem HL today because it is kit restock day. Pretty full shelves except for the empty 71 Cutlass shelf.

Picked up the GMC Astro semi for less than $24 all in thanks to 40% off. Not bad for a semi truck kit.

Hey have you checked yours yet? Mine the cab's left window mold brace was weaker than the right side little thinner, and it's warped a little so i got to try and fix it.  Hopefully yours is fine.

On 12/19/2022 at 5:39 PM, Danno said:

Don't forget licensing. That wasn't even a factor, not a gleam in any lawyer's eyes in 1964/1965. You can bet it adds a considerable consideration!

I think the greater detail and more parts add considerable cost to the kits manufactured today as well.

3 hours ago, Dpate said:

Hey have you checked yours yet? Mine the cab's left window mold brace was weaker than the right side little thinner, and it's warped a little so i got to try and fix it.  Hopefully yours is fine.

Thanks for the heads up. I will leave it sealed up for now as I have dozens of projects ahead of it.