Model Cars Magazine Forum

No Charger or Challenger SRT Hellcat kit?

I would be interested in either one or both myself. These kits of the earlier version of both of these didn't do well, but I feel that had to do as much with the lack of a GOOD detailed kit to build. While they looked good body wise they were curb side builders. There's a place for these in the hobby but I think that a well detailed kit such as what has been done of the Mustang and Camaro and then they would have a chance to turn a profit on such a kit.  

1 hour ago, espo said:

I would be interested in either one or both myself. These kits of the earlier version of both of these didn't do well, but I feel that had to do as much with the lack of a GOOD detailed kit to build. While they looked good body wise they were curb side builders. There's a place for these in the hobby but I think that a well detailed kit such as what has been done of the Mustang and Camaro and then they would have a chance to turn a profit on such a kit.  

Revell did a detailed 1/25 Challenger that had a decent engine and chassis as well as one like the C7 Vette and ZL1 Camaro, AMT was a curbside.  Chargers, a different story.  A few sources for the engine only, if that will work for you.

https://downloads.revell.de/Manuals-Modelkits/07187.pdf

I'm surprised that there aren't more of the recent Mustang, Camaro and Challenger "muscle cars" on the market, they are popular so I think the demand is there and I would for sure buy them if there were any available.
I really like the Factory Stock and Factory Super Stock drag racing versions and I would like to be able to build them, likewise with some of the road racing cars, the only available one is the Mustang GT4 from Tamiya, but that's a curbside with no engine and I don't like that, but if it was a full detail kit with a detailed engine bay I would have bought it allready.

22 hours ago, porschercr said:

I've got a couple of engines from this seller, including the Demon mill.  They're great.  I've got an eye on a couple of others that are sold out right now.  Not sure what I'm going to put the Demon engine in, but I think it would be great in an Imperial, or maybe the X-EL '59 Chrysler promo sitting in the display case...

9 hours ago, Force said:

I'm surprised that there aren't more of the recent Mustang, Camaro and Challenger "muscle cars" on the market, they are popular so I think the demand is there and I would for sure buy them if there were any available.
I really like the Factory Stock and Factory Super Stock drag racing versions and I would like to be able to build them, likewise with some of the road racing cars, the only available one is the Mustang GT4 from Tamiya, but that's a curbside with no engine and I don't like that, but if it was a full detail kit with a detailed engine bay I would have bought it allready.

Not so sure Round 2 did so well with the newer Camaro, I have seen them on clearance.  GM isn't doing so great with it either...if I were to bet on it, I'd say the current generation car will be the last.

Dodge is doing well with the Challenger, but it is long in the tooth.  With the Stellantis merger coming, who knows how long the Challenger (or Dodge itself) will be around.

That leaves the Mustang, like everyone else I'm surprised no "domestic" kit manufacturer has done, or announced one.  Or the new Corvette for that matter.

On 9/12/2020 at 5:02 PM, Exotics_Builder said:

Revell did a detailed 1/25 Challenger that had a decent engine and chassis as well as one like the C7 Vette and ZL1 Camaro, AMT was a curbside.  Chargers, a different story.  A few sources for the engine only, if that will work for you.

https://downloads.revell.de/Manuals-Modelkits/07187.pdf

Thank you for the heads up on the Revell Challenger kit. I'll have to see if I can find one around here. The Charger is actually my main interest as an owner. We got a '19 Charger GT with the AWD system to replace our '09 Charger RT with the AWD. I have always been mainly what you would consider a GM type even though I have owned Fords also thru the years. For me the general handling on the road and at speed are the main features that I enjoy, but the interior on the new car and the fit and finish in general and the fact that we have All Wheel Drive when needed make this an ideal car for us. Thank you again for the information on the Challenger.  

I'll say this again: I think it would be a great idea if Round 2 developed a Hellcat Challenger or Charger kit with full engine detail...and took two of those engines and put them in a parts pack. There are a TON of old Mopar kits out there that could use a "crate" engine such as this...extra points if they create replicas of the Demon Hellcrate items some other diorama items to go along with the engines. I think a Mopar-branded entry into their "Weekend Garage" series would be a very, very good seller.

I'd LOVE a kit of the new '20 Charger Daytona "widebody". Just something about that car and I'm not the biggest fan of four doors.

16 hours ago, Mark said:

Not so sure Round 2 did so well with the newer Camaro, I have seen them on clearance.  GM isn't doing so great with it either...if I were to bet on it, I'd say the current generation car will be the last.

Dodge is doing well with the Challenger, but it is long in the tooth.  With the Stellantis merger coming, who knows how long the Challenger (or Dodge itself) will be around.

That leaves the Mustang, like everyone else I'm surprised no "domestic" kit manufacturer has done, or announced one.  Or the new Corvette for that matter.

Word has it (unless something changed) that 2022 will be the last go round for the Camaro. Sad as I feel that Chevrolet missed the mark with the car's styling. Not bad on the outside, but on the inside with those small windows, the car IMO felt woefully claustrophobic. I had considered one about a year after I bought my Challenger and after sitting in one I said, "No Thanks"!

Hopefully there'll be something to replace it, but with the current market tripping over themselves with the latest trucks/SUV's/CUV's, I don't see that happening. :( 

Maybe relevant to this discussion,  most new muscle cars are priced out of the range of most of the buyers that they are meant to attract. What I mean by that is back in say 1969 a new Camaro Z-28 or Mustang Mach 1 was just a bit over $4000. A young person with most any job could buy one, or nearly any other muscle car they desired. Today, the top muscle cars are nearly all above $50K and most potential buyers cannot buy one, even with creative financing. 

For that matter a new Jeep is priced out of the range of many who would like to own one. I know that for a hard fact because I have a 2012 Wrangler and a 2021 is about $15K more for an equally equipped model. 

Any way, the cars you mention as not having kits are just not as popular in 1:1 either, in terms of sales.  A nice new Corvette is very cool but so impractical and not a very sound investment either. I live in a large city with good weather and good streets and see a lot of cars. I have seen exactly 2 C7 Corvettes in all their years and not a single mid-engine 'vette. Cars are continuously pricing themselves out of existence.

I'd love to see more modern subjects like the Hellcat Challenger and Charger kitted, along w/ the C8, some current Cadillacs and the current Mustang.  Definitely would like to see a current Grand Cherokee (maybe the Trackhawk w/ Hellcat engine), Wrangler and Gladiator kitted also.

Alas, the domestic kit makers seem find their most sales with reissues of subjects from the 60s-70s that appeal to the older audience. 

Edited by Rob Hall

11 hours ago, espo said:

The Charger is actually my main interest as an owner. We got a '19 Charger GT with the AWD system to replace our '09 Charger RT...

Lindberg did the earlier Charger (thru 2010) body style as a police car or SRT8. At least the police car was full-detail (I assume the SRT8 was as well) and the engine and chassis are surely very similar to the current cars. I'd think an enterprising builder could massage the older car into a passable new one.

5488858219_700cc24831_b.jpg

All of the Lindberg Charger kits have engine detail.  Unfortunately they are 1/24 scale, likely that is what limited their sales.

Revell's Challenger kit did have an engine, as did the AMT late model Chrysler 300.  Both are 1/25 scale.  Anyone I have talked to that knows much about the "new" Hemi engines seems to think the Revell piece is the better of the two.

18 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Lindberg did the earlier Charger (thru 2010) body style as a police car or SRT8. At least the police car was full-detail (I assume the SRT8 was as well) and the engine and chassis are surely very similar to the current cars. I'd think an enterprising builder could massage the older car into a passable new one.

5488858219_700cc24831_b.jpg

Hi Bill, I'm familiar with the Lindberg kit. I built one a few years ago with the appearance of our '10 Charger RT. Ours had the All Wheel Drive feature which wasn't represented in the kit as it is a rear wheel drive only kit. This wasn't an issue really since the undercarriage on the Charger is covered under the front of the 1:1 in such a way as you wouldn't see it anyway and the kit represents this all very well. I agree with you that if any one is wanting to build a civilian Charger this would be a perfect kit for that. The kit had both a complete civilian interior as well as the Police type interior, so lots of left over parts.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 9:14 AM, MrObsessive said:

I'd LOVE a kit of the new '20 Charger Daytona "widebody". Just something about that car and I'm not the biggest fan of four doors.

Word has it (unless something changed) that 2022 will be the last go round for the Camaro. Sad as I feel that Chevrolet missed the mark with the car's styling. Not bad on the outside, but on the inside with those small windows, the car IMO felt woefully claustrophobic. I had considered one about a year after I bought my Challenger and after sitting in one I said, "No Thanks"!

Hopefully there'll be something to replace it, but with the current market tripping over themselves with the latest trucks/SUV's/CUV's, I don't see that happening. :( 

What will nascar do makes you wonder..

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, IceMan Collections said:

I know I’m late to the party but I’ll have a limited release of this here next week. Follow me on Instagram @icemancollections or on FB (Joel Mendoza) for details on how to try and get one. 
announcement coming 11/21

7190D329-9BA8-491A-8F31-13FA43C8C992.jpeg

I'll have to look for one of these. I'd like to do a model of our '19 Charger GT. I might have to do a little work on the front facial but nothing to radical and you have the correct deck lid spoiler for our model also. I can change the wheels and tires since ours are the 235/55x19's. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 7:46 PM, IceMan Collections said:

I know I’m late to the party but I’ll have a limited release of this here next week. Follow me on Instagram @icemancollections or on FB (Joel Mendoza) for details on how to try and get one. 
announcement coming 11/21

7190D329-9BA8-491A-8F31-13FA43C8C992.jpeg

Better late than never!

I noticed the engine emblem on another post (on Fakebook).   I got two of your engines, any possibility to get those?