Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom Pierce Enforcer 1750 pumper

Great progress.

Your body construction technique is both clever and authentic, with the separate panels behind the outside frame.

Good tip with the trash bag to help with the pvc mess. 

When you’re done with this project, be sure to take photos of it with all of your other modern emergency apparatus builds. It would be impressive to see them all together.

7 hours ago, hct728(Bob) said:

Wow, looks great in colour! I like the trim at the top of the body, finishes off the short vertical panel, a neat touch. Still wondering how you get those doors in and out though, they look to be a tight fit!

They slide in from the bottom and fit against the inside of the body and the stiffeners between them.

Amazing work, and you never seem to get into a comfortable rut, always doing something a bit different than the last. This is much less vintage than most you have done.

I have a request if it is not too late, I'd like to see the underside of the rear box, and how you fit it to the chassis. I've done a couple of box builds like that and fitting to the chassis is always a bot of a cludge for me.

HI, Aaron.  Yes, this is definitely a bit more modern that most of what I have built but it has been a good project.  Learned some things along the way.  Here's an up to date photo.  I'll shoot the box and chassis so you can see the underside.  Pretty open and uncluttered but many pieces.

080.JPG.9eae3701d2bf4d287173686e946ac47d.JPG

Here's what the underside looks like.  Pretty spartan.  The body for now rests on the unpainted cross member about 2/3 the way toward the back and the front body panel.  Those two points rest directly on the frame.  But to get the body to sit level I had to notch out the back of the frame where it is white.

083.JPG.ec678c534ffdb1dfe0c279017cd7b21f.JPG

Once everything is complete to the point where I don't have to handle the body alone I'll add some connectors to the cross members and to the frame sides and secure the body down well.  If I can get screws in there I will do that also.  The same goes for the cab.  It is only sitting there temporary until all of the doodads are attached.  The pump panel is not the panel for the model.  Just a direct build from the Trumpeter kit for looks.  That whole unit still has to be built.  I just painted a piece that will fill in the bottom behind the rear wheels and go around the fuel tank.  That will be attached after the body is secured to the frame.

084.JPG.c438b81d2332541b9871a8e267d9150f.JPG

7 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Here's what the underside looks like.  Pretty spartan.  The body for now rests on the unpainted cross member about 2/3 the way toward the back and the front body panel.  Those two points rest directly on the frame.  But to get the body to sit level I had to notch out the back of the frame where it is white.

083.JPG.ec678c534ffdb1dfe0c279017cd7b21f.JPG

Once everything is complete to the point where I don't have to handle the body alone I'll add some connectors to the cross members and to the frame sides and secure the body down well.  If I can get screws in there I will do that also.  The same goes for the cab.  It is only sitting there temporary until all of the doodads are attached.  The pump panel is not the panel for the model.  Just a direct build from the Trumpeter kit for looks.  That whole unit still has to be built.  I just painted a piece that will fill in the bottom behind the rear wheels and go around the fuel tank.  That will be attached after the body is secured to the frame.

084.JPG.c438b81d2332541b9871a8e267d9150f.JPG

Thank you, not much different than what I have done and actually I guess not much different than the real ones although they of course have more inside. 

Began work on the pump panel unit.  I made up an initial one but decided to set that aside and do another one just a bit wider.  Although there are significant spaces between the cab, panel and body and they looked in scale, the gaps were just too wide for my taste.  So I added 2mm to the width of the panel to close them up some.  It's a busy panel and there is a lot to do but here is the start.

092.JPG.d98fd6e4150d8422734394add43e2026.JPG

That's the beginning of the driver's side panel on the left and a printed mockup beside it.  There is a lot more than what shows in the mockup that has to be added but these are the major components.  The slotted plate on the left is polished aluminum flashing.  Similar finishing touches for the discharge lines on the right.  In the center is the large intake valve with a Storz coupling adapter on the end.  The real one is by Akron Brass.  The truncated red box at the bottom of the mockup is for the soft suction hose that gets stored there.

Thanks for the underside pictures! Not at all what I expected, being hollow, but it makes a lot of sense. I would have started with a floor pan but such box construction is simpler considering the dropped side compartments. Good idea for a tow truck body too, with similar side compartments

21 hours ago, hct728(Bob) said:

Thanks for the underside pictures! Not at all what I expected, being hollow, but it makes a lot of sense. I would have started with a floor pan but such box construction is simpler considering the dropped side compartments. Good idea for a tow truck body too, with similar side compartments

Yup!  There will be a floor pan to fill things in once everything is located properly.  To do that now would limit the places a long the frame that I could tie the cab, pump panel unit and body down well.  Working on the pump panel itself now.

Here's the work so far on the pump panel.  It doesn't look like much yet but there is so much to put on it.  Used to be an intake, a couple of discharges,  a vacuum gage and pressure gage were about all that were there.  Oh, yeah, they needed a throttle and tank suction.  That was about it.  Not now!  Every button, gage, valve, switch you can think of.  Ah, but I digress.  There is still a lot to do on the panel and more on the back as well but we're getting there.  The folding steps in the rear are not quite like the Pierce ones but when you have a mold for casting them to my way of thinking they are close enough!?

093.JPG.be0fe23a862d1c243981bd4faeabf233.JPG095.JPG.9e18d0456820c159e550f5a2e60c7308.JPG096.JPG.a0016ed708706f02e2cfbda46eb5aa08.JPG

Charles your details on this build are incredible and every time I check it you have done even more. It’s awesome how you are able to build a true 1/25 scale of the real fire truck basically from scratch. I’m looking forward to seeing you finish this project it’s going to be a excellent replication of the real one. 

Progress continues one little detail at a time.  So many of them yet to do!  Striping is finally done.  Working on the pump panel with still some items left to put on.  Then I have the whole right side of the panel to do.  Folding steps are mounted back of the panel, SCBA doors installed and the diesel fuel door has been added.

102.JPG.a8d38c35ea7feb33b03d3711e09d55b0.JPG