Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom Pierce Enforcer 1750 pumper

" . . . one little detail at a time.  So many of them yet to do!"

Boy, Howdy!  Ain't that the truth about fire apparatus.   ?‍? When it looks finished you might only be about half-way done! 

This rig is looking great, Charlie!!    And, you gotta love a Pierce!

?? 

Edited by Danno

This is how the real ones are built; modules at a time.  Then it's like plug and play, connecting all of the components with  the appropriate wiring, etc.

113.JPG.8b3165c9a89ef4f4e4decaf6518fdffc.JPG

Been working on the booster hose reel for the top deck.  I found a nice diagram for Hannay reels on line and it gave all of the specific dimensions that I needed.  I scanned the diagram and scaled it down to 1/25 size.  Unfortunately the diagram does not follow consistent dimensions with what is in the table.  So I had to stretch and squeeze here and there but it was sufficient to get the reel done.

119.JPG.08cebddd7f3ddccdc9ef3cc90fb9fe2a.JPG

And here's where it will ultimately go when painted and the hose is added.

120.JPG.01a99203c8a8d902177f37a67578347b.JPG

Edited by Chariots of Fire

On 12/18/2020 at 9:01 AM, Chariots of Fire said:

This is how the real ones are built; modules at a time.  Then it's like plug and play, connecting all of the components with  the appropriate wiring, etc.

113.JPG.8b3165c9a89ef4f4e4decaf6518fdffc.JPG

I've gotten to walk through a couple of small fire apparatus builders shops, and seeing the real ones in production, very much like you show here was such a light bulb moment for me.

In 2001 I went to Boise to pick up a new engine from Boise Mobile Equipment and while there I got a tour of the facility. Up to that point I had just seen the whole truck and the idea of scratch building one seemed to be way beyond me. After walking through the plant and seeing the piles of sheet metal, and tubing, components waiting to be installed and apparatus in various stages of completion suddenly I saw it as Evergreen plastic and the "it is lots of little models" idea clicked in my head. After that what seemed impossible, suddenly just seemed difficult.

A couple of photos I took (still used film in those days so I didn't take very many).

282.jpg

283.jpg

and the finished one I was there to pick up. No place to put the spare so they just bolted it to the bumper, very classy. ?

284.jpg

That's pretty much it, Aaron.  The bigger shops use a lot of jigs to get things squared up and uniform.  This one you show reminds my of one that was not too far away that did a lot of brush truck building as well.  Early on the guy who did most of the fabrication for the bar work used a piece of chalk to outline it on the floor where he was working!  And that's how the bars got put together.?

Work on the hydraulic ladder rack has been completed.  Next is to add the brackets that secure the ladders in place.   The vertical pieces the gusset plate and the end pieces are soldered brass strip stock.  The rack itself is plastic strip stock.  The small end clamps can be opened so that the ladder rack can be rotated down.  The round base plate is pinned to the body with a bolt and nut in the inside.  2 Whelan led warning lights are on the top rear of the body, both sides.

139.JPG.b1eda6516d54c131e6f37afb12563d00.JPG

With the ladder rack done the next job was to begin filling the hose bed.  I like sewing elastic, some fancy middy striping and 3M tape to make the hose.  The small hose in the right side of the bed has been stained with watered down acrylic tan.  The red hose is just like it comes in the package.  I made a shelf to put in the hose bed to cut down on the amount of material that is needed to fill it.  It's cheating, I know but when it's done we won't tell anyone else!

146.JPG.ae301fa1af382eec82f776a0f0a3853e.JPG

A look at the hose bed with the shelf in place, painted the same color as the hose to disguise the shelf just in case some of it shows through.  I make it a point to cover it completely so the paint is just a precaution.  Short pieces of hose have been placed in front of the shelf.  The next layers will extend the full length of the bed for 2-3 layers.  That was done on the light tan attack line to the right.

147.JPG.f2af18e4b4dfad52d30ea215593daedc.JPG

The first layer is started.  Additional layers will be glued in place with the CA.  Care has to be taken not to smear the hose bed dividers with glue.  I had to lower the ladder rack to get these two parts of the hose load in place.

149.JPG.f72b859dab1982bb4aefaa27fd40eeb4.JPG

The first two hose loads are done.  The hose was dusted with some Doc O'Brien's weathering powder to give it a dirtied look.  (Grungy gray).  Next up will be the large diameter supply line made of 3M yellow tape.

Edited by Chariots of Fire