Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell V.W Golf GTI MK1

GeeBee

30 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

Very nice, the colour looks particularly nice on the mk1

It was only available from 1979-81, not a popular colour for the GTI in the UK, although it was a very popular colour on the GL, GLS, Jetta and Audi's, all the models I've seen built have either been painted white, red or black, i wanted something totally different, and as you said, I think it really suits the MK1 

14 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

Nicely done. I wonder how many people don't know the rear window frame is black and the grill has a red pin stripe. Even hpiguys recent build forgot to add those!

All the GTI had a red stripe on the grille,(it was V.W Mars Red) non GTI models were chrome, there was a few colours that didn't have black around the rear window, Helios blue, which was used on the Pirelli model was one of them. 

Edited by GeeBee

6 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

The Pirelli model, that's the one with the special Pirelli alloys?

That's the one, although everyone calls them Pirelli edition, the UK model was actually a Campaign model, the German version is totally different to the UK version, the German ones had no side stripe, the bumpers and wheel arch extensions were painted in body colour, not many people in the UK have ever seen one.

The top photo is a UK Campaign model, the 2nd photo is the German Pirelli version 

6aqq2NE.jpg

mk1_golf_pirelli_2048x2048.jpg

On 9/13/2020 at 2:39 PM, doorsovdoon said:

Nicely done. I wonder how many people don't know the rear window frame is black and the grill has a red pin stripe. Even hpiguys recent build forgot to add those!

I'm not sure if the AMT kit includes them or not, but yes, the Rabbit GTI should have the grille stripe, even the face-lift models had it

0c64adb2c13a3f0a307cdae45bc19dce72cd4847.jpg

BaT-Record-Sale-Volkswagen-Rabbit-GTI-001.jpg

58 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

A feature I just noticed is the windscreen pillar guards, or wind deflectors. Some cars seem to have them and others don't.

It was a dealer supplied accessory you could buy, it cuts down the drag and apparently makes your GTI a little faster and cuts down the wind noise at high speed 

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I don't recall seeing those German models with the coloured arches before - I prefer the black plastic ones.

Only Lhasa green, Mars red and Helios blue and white Pirelli models in Germany were available with the colour coded bumpers,mirrors and wheel arch extensions, all other colours had the black trim and bumpers 

der-pirelli-golf-5d82ec58-7395-4b4d-9ba8-b4e3ae1e608c.jpg

Edited by GeeBee