Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Deutz D30 Tractor

Man, that's a lot of parts to have painted... I love the use of the cardboard to set them to dry on... Nice idea... Never would have thought of that one... Looking good, too... Nice and smooth paint...And I kind of like that green with the orange... I may have to use that for a truck paint scheme....?

Edited by kilrathy10

3 hours ago, kilrathy10 said:

Man, that's a lot of parts to have painted... I love the use of the cardboard to set them to dry on... Nice idea... Never would have thought of that one... Looking good, too... Nice and smooth paint...And I kind of like that green with the orange... I may have to use that for a truck paint scheme....?

The cardboard paint stand i built was just strips of corrugated cardboard glued together with PVA glue, the holes in the cardboard are just the right size to hold the bamboo sticks that I put small crocodile clips on.

1 hour ago, GeeBee said:

The cardboard paint stand i built was just strips of corrugated cardboard glued together with PVA glue, the holes in the cardboard are just the right size to hold the bamboo sticks that I put small crocodile clips on.

That was the ingenious thing I noticed about it... With all the cardboard boxes I've gotten from Amazon and Ebay, I can make quite a few of those things... Genius....

That is looking great.  These tractors may be simple kits but Revell sure molded a lot of detail into them.  I built a Porsche Jr. and now I'm really looking forward to the Deutz.  The clean shiny green looks fantastic, but I don't think I can resist some washes, just to pop out details. 

I'm thinking about doing this to either a Porsche Jr. tractor or the Deutz.  I don't think the U.S. Air Force ever used either tractor.  (The shiny olive drab one in the photo below is a Moline.)  But the Air Force had a lot of bases in Germany, so I'll pretend they bought a tractor "on the local economy."  Might even hang a big "Follow Me" sign on it!

tractor_usaf.jpg

Is that adhesive backed flat black coating?? If so, what an awesome idea... Instant flat black... Who'd 'a' thunk it?? ? That could prove quite useful... Especially where I've painted something silver... It always bleeds into the flat black if I try to brush paint over it... I think I could really use that....

Edited by kilrathy10

7 hours ago, kilrathy10 said:

Is that adhesive backed flat black coating?? If so, what an awesome idea... Instant flat black... Who'd 'a' thunk it?? ? That could prove quite useful... Especially where I've painted something silver... It always bleeds into the flat black if I try to brush paint over it... I think I could really use that....

Yes, it's actually a self adhesive vinyl, nothing like Bare Metal foil, but easy to apply and trim to size, i picked it up in Japan a few years ago,  I wish I'd bought more as I'm finding it impossible to find in the UK, they also make them in metal finishes, I'm going to have to see if my friend in Japan can get me some more. 

Edited by GeeBee

If you can get hold of the Hasegawa flat black,  it's great for replicating black trim,  i used it to replicate the rubber gasket around the fuel filler, i could have masked it up and airbrushed it in matt black, or even brush painted it, but went with the Hasegawa product, if you look at the link for Plaza Japan, you'll see that it's available in other finishes as well.

Screenshot_20200924-114622_Chrome.jpg.2c9dddd6e79373ce4496e40dc5c59c74.jpg

20200923_183105.jpg