Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aoshima 1996/97 Toyota Ipsum (Picnic)

Spottedlaurel

4102526434_f561b832ec_c.jpg

Aoshima 1:24 Toyota Ipsum (Picnic) S-Package by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Had it in the stash for a while, started it this summer and WIP thread here:

Badged as Ipsum in Japan, sold as Picnic here in the UK and Europe. I built mine with the one-off Toyota GB Picnic Sport as its loose inspiration.

50342292013_98ac3272d4_b.jpg

1:24 Aoshima Toyota Ipsum kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

50342291918_e439ea2b96_b.jpg

50342971926_49f32fc788_b.jpg

50342292063_6b408b88de_b.jpg

Painted with Tamiya TS Pearl Green and Champagne spray cans, my first two-tone paintjob - if I've achieved nothing else with this kit then I'm happy with how that turned out.

Suspension lowered, front spoiler deepened, Tamiya Mazda RX7 wheels with Fujimi tyres, Fujimi front brake discs, kit-supplied front discs moved to rear, added an accessory steering wheel from another Aoshima kit and interior painted in a caramel and brown scheme inspired by my 1:1 Lexus LS400.

No engine to upgrade, I can pretend it has Celica GT4 running gear as it is a 4wd version (the driveshaft and rear diff are included). I think the UK 1:1 had an MR2 Turbo engine and retained its FWD layout.

Glass is a bit of a disappointment - leaving aside my odd fingerprint, it has a rather hazy look to it which isn't caused by glue fogging. Also, I was slightly heavy-handed in painting some of the black on the inside (that's a job I dislike) but the exterior trim worked out OK following copious use of BMF for masking.

I thought this Fujimi accessory set would suit it well:

image.jpeg.a3c53ceb3619e3c8499d0a6d78a84c61.jpeg

50343132492_9bf0d574c4_b.jpg

50342971811_3a98e8318c_b.jpg

50342971876_d4f50979c9_b.jpg

The photo-etch wheel spokes were incredibly delicate, but they do look effective when fitted.

Overall, I'm pleased but not overwhelmed with how it turned out. Happy to do a half-decent job with the two-tone paintwork, even if I had to respray the green after I polished through it first time around. I should have tried to get it a bit lower, and the rear wheels need to be tucked into the arches a little more.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

3 hours ago, kelson said:

Turned out very nice!.

17 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!!

Thanks ?

On 9/14/2020 at 11:32 PM, e30lover said:

Colours and maskings are on point! I've built a few Aoshima kits and they all had disappointing clear parts. 

Thank you. The paintwork took a bit of effort but it was worthwhile.

I find Aoshima kits are generally a step down from Tamiya in terms of quality, but they offer such a great range of subjects I can't resist them.

Thanks guys!

7 hours ago, Slimguy said:

Terrific build Nigel.  I think you nailed the paint work.  Two toned with rattle cans is impressive.  I use spray cans myself and I have not yet had the courage to attempt a two toned paint job.  You just may have inspired me.

Thank you David. I doubt I'd have tried it if it wasn't for that well-defined recess that I could mask into - might be more difficult with the paint thickness on something flat?

My biggest concern was the paint peeling, but I used decent quality tape (with a bit of BMF on the intricate curves) and the Tamiya paint seemed to key onto the previous layer well enough for it not to be an issue.

It actually got masked-up twice, once for painting the champagne after the green, and then the other way around after I polished through the green.......

It gave me the confidence to do the silly multi-coloured Datsun 280Z. The only paint peeling problem I had on that one was with a non-Tamiya automotive colour.