Model Cars Magazine Forum

3d Printed Taillight lens

I was playing around with some red resin for my 3d printer and discovered that it can make a pretty acceptable tail light lens.  Below are some lenses that I printed.  The lens on the right is right off the printer.  The slicing process makes a nice set of concentric circles on the lens, which is pretty realistic.  The color is a little too pink though.  

The center lens and the lens mounted in the bezel have a coat of Tamiya X27 transparent red on the back.  It approximates the color of a real lens and really makes them pop.

taillight1.jpg.519a82f989194a2fdd1ac99866eb5b2d.jpg

If anyone has specific needs, I might try making something other than a circle.

4 minutes ago, Bills72sj said:

How about some 67-72 Chevy truck tail light lenses. I have a resin 67 that looks like they tried to use 67 Nova substitutes. I can get 1:25 scale real world dimensions if you wish. I also have no issues changing the color as you did.

Sorry about the hijack..... what is the resin '67?   I could have used some lenses with my conversion, add the back-up lights.

IMG_1943_Fotor.jpg

8 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

How about some 67-72 Chevy truck tail light lenses. I have a resin 67 that looks like they tried to use 67 Nova substitutes. I can get 1:25 scale real world dimensions if you wish. I also have no issues changing the color as you did.

Screenshot_2020-09-13 1967-1972 Chevrolet Truck Parts 5959111 1967-72 GM Truck Tail Light Lens; LH or RH Classic Industries.png

1:1 dimensions would be a big help. The nice thing about 3d printing in 1:25 is that 1mm equals 1" of real world. 

The basic shape is not a problem. 

I'm thinking that the surface pattern will not reproduce in any detail when 3d printed. Resolution  is supposed to be .05mm but in reality it's more like .1mm. The resin sticks to the surface and partially hardens. I can probably make the basic circles. 

The undercut on the back side is no big deal and could be painted with a darker color to add realism. 

6 hours ago, Steamboat said:

1:1 dimensions would be a big help. The nice thing about 3d printing in 1:25 is that 1mm equals 1" of real world. 

The basic shape is not a problem. 

I'm thinking that the surface pattern will not reproduce in any detail when 3d printed. Resolution  is supposed to be .05mm but in reality it's more like .1mm. The resin sticks to the surface and partially hardens. I can probably make the basic circles. 

The undercut on the back side is no big deal and could be painted with a darker color to add realism. 

Unfortunately, I do not have the 1:1 dimensions. What I do have is the exact item on a chrome tree for the 2004/2005 AMT/Ertl reissue of the 1972 Chevy pick up. The dimensions as measured by my dial calipers is 0.352" x 0.155" x 0.062". There is a trim ridge on 3 of the 4 edges of the face that are left/right dependent. Below is a pic of the tail lights on the tree.

IMG_1588.JPG

• 9 months later...

There is a truly clear (not tinted) resin is available for the Anycubic Photon printers. I have seen another modeler in a model RR forum I frequent. showing some clear parts printed.

But the pink resin is perfect for red lenses.