Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020 ACME Southern Nationals NNL – UPDATE

OutaFocus

spacer.png

ACME, in association with FineScale Modeler, is pleased to announce we will host the 25th annual Southern Nationals model show and contest online!
Nothing will be able to replace seeing friends, eye-balling models up close and personal, or shopping the vendors. But we went to work looking for an alternative that would allow us to still celebrate scale-car modeling with all of you who have helped make Southern Nationals the amazing model show that it is.
Moving the 25th Southern Nationals online means that you will be able enter your models in a number of contest categories and see the efforts of other modelers, too. We are finalizing scheduling, categories, and contest details and will have more information for you very soon.
All of us as ACME and FineScale Modeler can’t wait to see you and your models at the show!

The ACME 25th Annual Southern Nationals Model Show and Contest

From the first show in 1996, ACME’s Southern Nationals grew into one of the best-known model car shows in the U.S. with nearly 800 models on display! To keep the tradition alive and well, ACME has teamed up with FineScale Modeler to bring you the 25th annual Southern Nationals Online Model Show and Contest. Enter photos of your models for a chance to win awards and recognition for your amazing work!

How To Enter

*** There is no cost to enter!***

Share up to three photos of your model in one of the below seven categories from October 1 until October 31, 2020. You can submit as many models as you wish!

Need help photographing your scale models? Watch FineScale Modeler editors Aaron Skinnner and Tim Kidwell’s video on how to set up a great background, position lighting, set up a camera, choose a location, and more!

The Categories:

Closed Wheel Competition

Open Wheel Competition

Showroom Stock (Domestic & Import)

Hot Rods & Customs

Street Machines / Tuners / Lowriders

Motorcycles Commercial & Non-Tracked Military Vehicles

How To Vote

From November 1 until November 7, 2020 vote once per category. Anyone and everyone is allowed to vote once, regardless of whether or not you entered a model in the photo contest. Be sure to share the contest with your friends and family, so they can vote too!

Awards and Prizes

The models that accrue the most votes in each category will receive a Top Category Award. The three models with the most votes that did not win a category will receive a People's Choice Award. Recipients of the ACME Excellence Award and President’s Award will be chosen from among all participants by the ACME selection committees. All award winners will receive a framed photo of their model with the ACME logo and show information included.

Sweepstakes

Everyone who enters a model or votes in the contest is automatically entered in our sweepstakes for a chance to win amazing prizes, including:

Model Factory Hiro 1/12 scale Porsche 935/78 “Moby Dick” - $716.00

Grex Airbrush - $209.00

Splash paints - $50.00

Fisher Chaparral 2F Coupe - $150.00

Tamiya 1/12 scale Porsche 935 Vaillant - $185.00

1-year subscription to FineScale Modeler - $49.95

Mr. Hobby paint — $39.00

Alclad II paint — $106.20

AMT 1/25 scale 70½ Camaro Z28 — $28.99

Tamiya 1/12 scale Kawasaki Ninja H2R Carbon Motorcycle — $55.00

Tamiya 1/20 scale Ferrari F60 - F1 — $94.00

Tamiya 1/24 scale Mustang GT4 - $53.00

And more great prizes!

Award and prize winners will be announced on November 13, 2020 on FineScale.com and on Facebook.

While we can’t meet in person this year, let’s make this show one to remember. Please join ACME and FineScale Modeler to make the 25th Southern Nationals Online a terrific show! Keep an eye on the ACME and FineScale Modeler Facebook pages for updates.

Edited by OutaFocus

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 1:05 AM, Can-Con said:

Thanks Steve!

I entered 3.

A lot of really nice entries there!

Lots of very stiff competition. ^_^

Steve

On 10/14/2020 at 1:19 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks Steve!

I entered 3.

A lot of really nice entries there!

Lots of very stiff competition. ^_^

Steve

i entered a few, may not win anything, just wanted to enter SOME kind of show in 2020....?

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I'm curious as to how the peoples choice was worded. There's a big difference in picking the best versus the one you like.

Hi Bob!

I read that the voting determined the "winner" in each category, and that vehicles that finished 2-3-4 in each receive a "peoples choice" plaque.

The other awards, I understand, are judged by a panel of ACME heads. 

But, I'm certain they  tell more about  that on their web site. 

CT

1 hour ago, TimKustom said:

Congrats Claude! That is an awesome model that is dripping with detail. Very well deserved!

Hi Tim!

Thank you so much.

The truth is that at most shows, people are puzzled by a "lakester", Many can appreciate the details, but have few references as to what it is. Hence, my choice to parody the famous So-Cal white & red paint scheme. If one car was widely shown in a myriad publication, it must be the So-Cal Coupe! 

That may have helped with the judges...

CT

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 8:56 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Hope you will share some pics of that well deserved trophy with us my friend!

Hi Francis!

I'll try, but it will test my photographer's talent... It is a curved and beveled slab of glass, with the markings etched or glass-beaded from the back.

Stunning, but hard to photograph the semi-transparent markings. 

I'll try soon!

CT

2 hours ago, foghorn62 said:

Congratulations on this well deserved award Claude!  I didn’t realize until just now that this is your build, but I knew from the first time I saw it on the ACME site that it was the cream of the crop!

Hi Tim!

Thank you so much.

It seems the panel of three ACME Presidents (current and former) were favorably impressed. Lucky me!

CT 

1 hour ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

I'll try, but it will test my photographer's talent... It is a curved and beveled slab of glass, with the markings etched or glass-beaded from the back.

Stunning, but hard to photograph the semi-transparent markings. 

I'll try soon!

CT

No problem Claude, maybe you could show it to me in person when this D...A...M...N virus is over... I dream of it!

It's like our models, pictures can never do them justice like bare eyes! ?

4 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

No problem Claude, maybe you could show it to me in person when this D...A...M...N virus is over... I dream of it!

It's like our models, pictures can never do them justice like bare eyes! ?

Hi Francis!

Well, since we are both getting older by the day, I guess we will ultimately be vaccinated, and break free of that mess. 

In the meantime, happy holidays to you and your loved ones. 

Joyeuses Fêtes mon ami!

CT