Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1979 Chevy Nova

doorsovdoon

7 hours ago, Can-Con said:

BTW, any of you guys wanting to put a more detailed suspension under one of these later Novas, the older Revell Novas are not the correct front suspension for them. 

From about '75[IIRC] they used the same front subframe as the second generation Camaro and Firebird. 

And, yes, most of the good handling goodies from the Z-28 and/or Trans Am fit right in there. 

Good advice Can-Con. I went for the Revell Nova because I couldn't find a Gen2 Camaro with any better suspension detail than the MPC Nova. The Revell Z28 kit is awful under the floorplan as is the Revell Firebird, so I compromised with the 69 Nova. 

BTW, I use masking tape for my vinyl roofs. They look very good and I've had them on for about 20 years and it hasn't started lifting yet. 

20200919_085703.jpg

Edited by Rockford

The masking tape roof looks good. I have thought about using that method but all the masking tapes I've bought lately the tack comes off just from touching it. I use painters tape now but not sure how well that would hold up, probably fine but I haven't tried it. Lots of potential with this kit it seems, and tons of directions to go in. There was even a pro stock version while I was looking up this kit.

Pro Stock Nova.jpg

7 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

The masking tape roof looks good. I have thought about using that method but all the masking tapes I've bought lately the tack comes off just from touching it. I use painters tape now but not sure how well that would hold up, probably fine but I haven't tried it. Lots of potential with this kit it seems, and tons of directions to go in. There was even a pro stock version while I was looking up this kit.

Pro Stock Nova.jpg

The pro-stock version  is the AMT release I have as a custom. It's not great, the rear axle is narrowed and there's a Lenco transmission but the body is very square and the detail is poor. Here's my kit spread out. Tyres are dire. 

20200919_184856.jpg

Edited by Rockford

11 hours ago, Rockford said:

Good advice Can-Con. I went for the Revell Nova because I couldn't find a Gen2 Camaro with any better suspension detail than the MPC Nova. The Revell Z28 kit is awful under the floorplan as is the Revell Firebird, so I compromised with the 69 Nova. 

The newer AMT  '70 Z-28 is the one you need. Any of the 3 variants are good. Much better chassis detail, as you'd expect from a modern tooled kit.

Edited by Can-Con

3 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

ah, I see. It's the same mould as that square looking '76 Street Custom on the previous page.

It is Doors! You've picked the best version in the MPC kit. I've attached a picture of the two bodyshells together, also of the MPC shell with the Revell floorplan dropped in, It fits like a glove! 

20200919_185043.jpg

20200919_185103.jpg

20200919_185126.jpg

As is my luck I decided to do the roof again cos I wasn't happy with the texture, it was too smooth. So before I did the right thing and checked to see if the paint I used was still available I went and primered it. No Tuscan Beige at the shop, discontinued! So I decided to go with the other colour combo I like, similar to what Rockford posted on the previous page, metallic green with white roof.

20200919_223554.JPG

20200919_223608.JPG

5 minutes ago, Rockford said:

It is Doors! You've picked the best version in the MPC kit. I've attached a picture of the two bodyshells together, also of the MPC shell with the Revell floorplan dropped in, It fits like a glove! 

That's good to know. I only bought the kit cos it was cheap, and these less than inspirational box art kits usually surprise with good detail features.

Edited by doorsovdoon

8 minutes ago, Rockford said:

Doors, you're building my car!!! I'm touched! I don't know what to say! How wonderful. Cant wait to see how it turns out. I'm so sorry to have hijacked your WIP. 

Bomb away, man, everyone else has!?   Nah, I don't mind honestly, I've actually learned a lot about this kit from everyone's input, and seen some awesome pictures too!

11 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

I was thinking the same. Most pictures I've come across are body colour.

The only exception may have to do with the level of trim. Some trim levels had stainless steel moldings on the side window and those vents would be a low gloss silver color. Some such as the SS or Rally Nova trim my be black in color depending on what year they were produced as the window trim would be changed from year to year. Funny fact. Some of GM's plant workers Union and GM were hashing out labor contracts. We got a Nova that was on the showroom floor for display. The drivers side vents were vertical as should be. The passenger side vents were horizontal as they would have been on the Pontiac Ventura that shared this body. Labor dispute or material shortage ? This may explain the GMC hub caps that were on the floor of a new pick-up instead of the Chevrolet hub caps, it was an interesting time in the car biz and we even got Monte Carlos ordered with bucket seats and a console. Well we got the bucket seats with no console.  

Yes, the 70's was a very disorganised time in the car industry. Over here, British Leyland were always striking over management and worker disputes which often resulted in horrendous build quality. The Morris Marina, three of which I own, I've been told on more than one occasion that during the time the model was being fitted with disc brakes as standard, some cars were being recalled because they had a drum hub on one side and a disc and caliper on the other! Whether it's true or not I don't know, the brand still gets a lot of hate to this day, and rumours abound regarding British Leyland.

Body colour done and I really like it! I've had this can of Jade Green hanging around for months not knowing what to use it on. I think I used some when doing my '67 Impala but it didn't suit it. There was about quarter left in the can and it covered well. Very good paint this Hycote brand. oh, and the B pillars are going body colour:D

20200920_180606_LLS.JPG