Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1979 Chevy Nova

doorsovdoon

7 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Good progress Gareth, body and roof colour combo looks great.

My version of this kit looks pretty similar. I have plenty on the go at present, but you are making me think about it a bit more.

Thanks, Nigel. Get it done, I'd love to see it. I do a bit at a time, roof yesterday, body today. I'll assemble the engine tomorrow and paint it the next.

8 minutes ago, Rockford said:

That's my car!!!!! Its fantastic! Well done mate! 

Yes, pretty much, Lol. I didn't expect the Jade Green to look so identical to your car, I was expecting it to come out looking a lot darker. It was a left over can of paint from a previous build, not being able to get the same beige for the roof and liking the white on green look it kind of turned into your car! One thing will be different though is the Magnum 500/Rostyle wheels I'm going with.

42 minutes ago, Rockford said:

Doors, if you want me to go and take any pictures of my car, interior, engine etc... just ask. It's an eerie feeling seeing you build a green Nova with a white vinyl roof! You've done a fantastic job so far, hope my efforts are as good. 

Haha!! Honestly, it's not intentional, but yeah, I can imagine it being weird seeing someone build a car in the same combo, xD 

Edited by doorsovdoon

Hi Gareth, that is a killer colour combo... whoa, say that fast 5 times. I would say perfect colours, beautiful work. 
The “satin black or body colour window trim” conversation didn’t get as heated as I would have thought. Some of these threads have me laughing out load. I love it. 
Cheers, Steve

11 hours ago, Steve H said:

Hi Gareth, that is a killer colour combo... whoa, say that fast 5 times. I would say perfect colours, beautiful work. 
The “satin black or body colour window trim” conversation didn’t get as heated as I would have thought. Some of these threads have me laughing out load. I love it. 
Cheers, Steve

haha! Yep, it can snowball off a cliff sometimes, but this one has stayed very much on topic surprisingly. 

It's really looking great mate. The paint appears to have come out great, did you polish it? The Nova script is rather oversized on the front fender you're right. I don't know what I'll do about that on mine. I've got to say you're giving me real guilt pangs that I haven't even started mine. 

BTW there was a programme on Radio4 recently in the series "The Reunion". It was a group of ex BL employees. I couldn't believe some of the stories they had to tell, how badly the company was managed. When I was a kid in the 70s the media made the shopfloor workers the villains of the piece. It's really worth a listen. 

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

The 'Nova' emblems on the fenders ( wings ) from that era were , indeed , quite big and "proud" .  The scale is about spot-on !

Um, no, not really. It's at least twice as big as it should be. It's the first thing I noticed when I had my 1/1 and compared it to the kit. 

[pic from the net, not my 1/1]

Pin on car love

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

The 'Nova' emblems on the fenders ( wings ) from that era were , indeed , quite big and "proud" .  The scale is about spot-on !

You might be thinking of 1974 SS. It looks like MPC used the script from the '74 SS which is exactly the same font and scale as what's on the kit, minus the SS.

1974-nova-ss.jpeg

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Um, no, not really. It's at least twice as big as it should be. It's the first thing I noticed when I had my 1/1 and compared it to the kit. 

Well , sunny beaches... It would ostensibly seem that the fender emblems on my friend's 1978 Hatchback ( 350 four barrel / TH-400 / towing package ) were bigger-than-normal . 

Upon further research ( mainly looking at brochures online , Nova from 1975-1980 ) , I must concede . 

At least the kit's emblems are easy to detail , esp. for myopic folks like me .