Model Cars Magazine Forum
syrguy1969

60 'Vette axle rods needed

I am working on a Revell '60 Corvette and the kit cane without the tire axel rods. I am pondering a couple ideas now, but if any are out there I would appreciate hearing from you!! Thanks

20200915_191308.jpg

Have you checked the parts trees?  They may not be wire axles, but rather molded plastic.  I've got that same kit but don't recall offhand.

I have used both brass and plastic rod for this with good results. 

My LHS stocks metal wire of varying diameters. I don't know if you have that available in your area, but if you do I would suggest taking a wheel back in and finding a size that works. Home Depot has some metal rod, but I can't remember if they stock anything that small or not.

Have you tried cutting up a bicycle spoke? I used one, if I remember rightly, on my '62 Buick Electra. It was missing one axle. It was a little thicker diameter than the original but worked fine.

A welding supply store will stock uncoated filler rod of varying diameters and materials. All those old AMT and MPC wire axle kits get upgraded with 1/16" stainless steel rod.

And homemade headers? Aluminum filler rod bends almost as easy as lead and won't make you sick. Not to mention, it's much lighter, too.