Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo-Han 60 Desoto Adventurer

Modelbuilder Mark

Got this as a glue bomb about 25 years ago. While not my original intent, this one ended up being only completed as a curb side. I faced some issues during final assembly, mostly by my rushing it and being clumsy, but I proceeded to finish. I hope that I have photographed it in such a way as to minimize the damage/distractions.  Overall, I think it will look OK sitting on the shelf. The California plate is not the final plate for the car, I just needed on on there so I could call it done. 

The color itself is a very old bottle (over 20 years) of Cobra Colors' Gulf-stream Aqua Metallic (yeah, I know, Ford color, but  hey, it is not factory stock) with Scalefinishes.com  Superclear. Chrometech USA did the bumpers around 17-18 years ago, glass and taillights are Modelhaus items, seat pattern decals Scale Motorsport, and the wheels are from the Via Riva kit I believe. 

SAM_1792.JPG

SAM_1793.JPG

SAM_1794.JPG

SAM_1797.JPG

SAM_1798.JPG

SAM_1799.JPG

SAM_1800.JPG

SAM_1801.JPG

Thanks everyone for the kind words, I sincerely appreciate them.

I will tell on myself here a bit... When installing the Chrysler interior that I had modified, I was so happy that I got luck with I got glue on the dash, but not the glass. As the glass is Modelhaus vacu-form, which of course is no longer avail, and not wanting to damage the glass, I left the dash in place, and tried to use a bent brush to fix the smudge on the dash, only to make it worse. So, the dash is noticeably touched up. Then, because I just could not leave well enough alone, after the interior floor was installed, I knocked one of the side panels loose trying to adjust it.(can be seen in one of the pics) but again, too risky to remove the pan. I also was using a new bottle of the Bob Smith Industries gold superglue that does not fog, but MAN that stuff is runny. Did not know I had some on me, and smudged the front glass. Again, small spot, I should have left it alone, but tried to take it off and made it worse, and left a GIANT mark, lower center. I ended up very carefully polishing it out with sanding clothes and polish three times. Still messed up, but dramatically better. During this same time, I then discovered I had gotten some on the lower right front bumper and the paint in one place. The paint I could fix, but afraid to work on the chrome bumpers..Finally, the last several years, my new years resolution was simply "test fit more often".....I failed, and despite chassis alterations, the wheel placement/chassis length from center hub to center hub was off, so I had to cut/correct that.

Most of these I consider to be rookie mistakes on my part, mostly because I started to rush at the end....

8 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Thanks everyone for the kind words, I sincerely appreciate them.

I will tell on myself here a bit... When installing the Chrysler interior that I had modified, I was so happy that I got luck with I got glue on the dash, but not the glass. As the glass is Modelhaus vacu-form, which of course is no longer avail, and not wanting to damage the glass, I left the dash in place, and tried to use a bent brush to fix the smudge on the dash, only to make it worse. So, the dash is noticeably touched up. Then, because I just could not leave well enough alone, after the interior floor was installed, I knocked one of the side panels loose trying to adjust it.(can be seen in one of the pics) but again, too risky to remove the pan. I also was using a new bottle of the Bob Smith Industries gold superglue that does not fog, but MAN that stuff is runny. Did not know I had some on me, and smudged the front glass. Again, small spot, I should have left it alone, but tried to take it off and made it worse, and left a GIANT mark, lower center. I ended up very carefully polishing it out with sanding clothes and polish three times. Still messed up, but dramatically better. During this same time, I then discovered I had gotten some on the lower right front bumper and the paint in one place. The paint I could fix, but afraid to work on the chrome bumpers..Finally, the last several years, my new years resolution was simply "test fit more often".....I failed, and despite chassis alterations, the wheel placement/chassis length from center hub to center hub was off, so I had to cut/correct that.

Most of these I consider to be rookie mistakes on my part, mostly because I started to rush at the end....

Sounds just how some of my builds go Mark. Try to fix one thing and mess up 2 or 3 more. I had to send the back bumper out for replating 3 times on my custom '62 Chrysler I finished a couple months ago. Just kept messing up the chrome and needing to have it redone.

ANYWAY ,, Love the car. Looks along the lines of how I'd have done it myself. 

Hi Mark, that’s a beautiful build and excellent colour choice. Glad to know I’m not the only one that tends to rush a bit at the end, often causing those oops moments. You are likely the only one that will notice. Looks fantastic to me. 
Cheers, Steve