Model Cars Magazine Forum

Drill Bits - #60-80

I got this set from Harbor Freight, cheap:

1563277483_harborfreightdrillbits.jpg.d2216de2826fa88edebd098a775b8367.jpg

So far, so good - nice and sharp. Wish they came with a 3/32" shank instead of 1/8" so they would fit my little Michael's grinder; I can work them by hand OK but I do tend to get cramps in my fingers after a while. I'm going to pick up some automotive rubber hose with 3/32" ID and cut short lengths to fit over the shanks as cushions to see if it helps. 

i buy my carbide bits from "Drill Bit City" but with the carbide you have to be very careful because the do brake very easy, but do a great job drilling holes.  I find they work very well in my Sherline lathe and mill, but because there is no side load I have not broken many. BTW I always buy their re-sharpened sets, they come 5 or 10 in each box.  The re-sharpened ones work great on plastic and soft metals.

On 9/19/2020 at 10:30 PM, Russell C said:

Drill bits break? Might be a matter of the kind of metal they are made out of and how well sharpened they were out of the gate. I kid you not, swear on a set of Bibles, I've been using the same set of #61-80 bits since I snagged 'em from my machinist father sometime in the late 1980s, in both my motor tool and in my pin vice. A few seem a little duller than the rest by now and the only broken one in the bunch is the #79 where I dropped whatever I was using to drill on the floor.

15888613_70sdrills.jpg.98e80e965985669d1916dd890fbf4752.jpg

I have a set of those. They are great! Been using them for a very long time. I've broken one or two, which I'll ascribe to carelessness on my part. 

Interesting!  I have seen that little box copied a hundred different ways.  That is the first time I think I have seen the original.  All the knockoffs can be very sketchy.  I would bet the original "Made in the USA" stuff is really pretty good.  I am also willing to bet that the Chinese knockoffs are junk!  Strange as this sounds the best I have found is Kyocera Asia Pacific tools.  I believe they have headquarters in Singapore. Good stuff but not cheap.  I save them for drilling very delicate holes.  It is fun the see a spiral chop the size of a hair come off of them. 

I have looked and looked today.  At drill bits and razor saws.   So many reviews say same thing - point not sharpened.    I wish I had had internet when I first got that set of Huots in the black case.   I still have a few but I broke most being heavy handed.   I suppose I could order the 70 & 72 like others recommend.   Really all I need is for plugs wires and pins.   I have enough larger ones still left.   

On 9/22/2020 at 10:31 AM, Dave Ambrose said:

I have a set of those. They are great! Been using them for a very long time. I've broken one or two, which I'll ascribe to carelessness on my part. 

On 9/19/2020 at 10:30 PM, Russell C said:

Drill bits break? Might be a matter of the kind of metal they are made out of and how well sharpened they were out of the gate. I kid you not, swear on a set of Bibles, I've been using the same set of #61-80 bits since I snagged 'em from my machinist father sometime in the late 1980s, in both my motor tool and in my pin vice. A few seem a little duller than the rest by now and the only broken one in the bunch is the #79 where I dropped whatever I was using to drill on the floor.

Found them!!! Original manufacture and I would bet, based on the price they are pretty good quality.  Next order, I am going to spring for a set.  

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/78579042

On 9/22/2020 at 1:06 PM, Pete J. said:

Interesting!  I have seen that little box copied a hundred different ways.  That is the first time I think I have seen the original.  All the knockoffs can be very sketchy.  I would bet the original "Made in the USA" stuff is really pretty good.  I am also willing to bet that the Chinese knockoffs are junk!  Strange as this sounds the best I have found is Kyocera Asia Pacific tools.  I believe they have headquarters in Singapore. Good stuff but not cheap.  I save them for drilling very delicate holes.  It is fun the see a spiral chop the size of a hair come off of them. 

Kyocera and Mitutoyo make excellent tools. Mitutoyo is almost the equivalent of Starrett. e.g. more than good enough for my purposes. 

9 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Kyocera and Mitutoyo make excellent tools. Mitutoyo is almost the equivalent of Starrett. e.g. more than good enough for my purposes. 

For years Mitutoyo was the next choice after Starrett.  They were what people bought if they wanted quality at a good price.  The differences between Mitutoyo and Starrett were slight.  The biggest difference still exists.   You can send a broken Starrett tool back to the factory and they will refurbish and calibrate it to new standard for far less than the cost of a new tool.  I've gotten to the point that if I need a tool, I scour the internet for a broken Starrett(there are many).  Get it cheap and send it back to Athol.  Two or three weeks later, I have a near new tool on the bench.  There is cheap and then there is frugal.  I prefer the latter.

On 9/24/2020 at 1:59 AM, Dave Ambrose said:

Yep! I use Mitutoyo calipers and micrometers at work... Some have the battery powered digital readouts... 

I've been using those for 35+ years now with zero problems.... ?

Edited by Deuces ll

On 9/20/2020 at 1:30 AM, Russell C said:

I have one of those drill indexes, but mine is probably a bit newer (to was bought new in the '80s).  But I'm pretty sure that HUOT just makes the index box - the drills are put in by whoever sells the set. If that is the case then HUOT does not automatically mean "quality bits".  IIRC, my set came from either Micro-Mark or possibly Walthers (not from one of the industrial suppliers).

DrillBitIndex01.jpg.96ef2729066898427a24c35aae327843.jpg

DrillBitIndex02.jpg.7f719fb56955799e2ff383713050d523.jpg

I do use (and sometimes break) these high-speed steel bits when I know that I will not be able to hold the drilled item steady.  But I'm highly addicted to those PC board Tungsten Carbide bits with 1/8" shanks.  Not only they are extremely hard, but that are sharpened to a split point, so they cut really fast and don't wander. They will drill anything from hard stainless steel through styrene,  I use them in my Micro-Mark drill press, Sheline Mill, pin vise, and for the really small ones, I just hold the 1/8" shank in my fingers.  Sometimes I use the larger ones in my Dremel). Not often.  While I don't have all the consecutive sizes, I do have quite a range available. I made my own indexes.

TC_DrillIndex01.JPG.fdcbf7410a925dcbeeaa95587243c9ef.JPG

TC_DrillIndex02.JPG.b45cfa77e219d78cfb2959f3e1a0be00.JPG

TC_DrillIndex03.JPG.dc696c572f13bd69906a444202b12be4.JPG

TC_DrillIndex04.JPG.250f47813caf5ff44c97f3c1e2bcf5a9.JPG

Since I know they do break, I do try to get them cheap in bulk. Like boxes of 50.

TC_Drills_Box.jpg.01b28ee20f08cebfdb4ac965915bc2ad.jpg

I bought the ones above in 2003, and still have plenty left.  I usually found bargains on eBay, but I'm not sure if that sill holds true today.  I hyst searched for the size (like 80) and "PCB" or 'PC Board" drill bit .

Edited by peteski

3 hours ago, peteski said:

... I'm pretty sure that HUOT just makes the index box - the drills are put in by whoever sells the set. ...

In looking into this further myself, you are probably right on that. Whoever the supplier was at the time I began borrowing this set from my dad in the late '70s, they've been unbreakable, apart from the one that met its end from a 4 foot drop to a concrete floor.