Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vespa scooter for my mom

Hi all, 

First, this is my first “motorcycle” build. I am a car guy thru and thru. I built this for my mom for Christmas. 
Quick backstory, one of my mom’s fondest memories was riding side saddle, on the back of a Vespa, thru Italy With her boyfriend “Enzo”. No, it was not Enzo Ferrari !! That would make for a cool story though...

I built a replica of my dads car a few years back (see in finished cars thread “62 impala, replica of my dads car”, ever since wanting to build something “cool” for my mom. VOILA!! A Vespa!

So it’s the Italeri re-release of the 1/9 scale Vespa. Built mostly box stock. I added a scratch built rear view mirror, mounted low on the faring as they were back then. Built a “glove box”, added aluminum tubing for exhaust. The seat is wrapped in thinned real leather from a craft store, with thread for piping. Decals were sourced from internet images and printed. I never had a photo of the actual scooter. This was my interpretation of what it may have looked like, thus the Italian flags and “Enzo” decals. I just wanted to build something that would remind mom of one her favourite times, what could be better inspiration than that! One of the most rewarding builds I have done... which reminds me, need to post the Toyota Prius I built for my daughter...
Thanks for looking, all comments welcome.

Cheers, Steve
051BC0CA-1568-433D-BD74-A5F7AB3C4CE0.thumb.jpeg.ee7b57b7acd1d63cd9366a1eec7015b9.jpeg

8BA93116-0D53-43C5-B155-02D5657FFF00.thumb.jpeg.4bd71af9def37892680d3244f7f15cbe.jpeg

CF41F061-F5FE-48A4-B0C5-8B56CD0A6D03.thumb.jpeg.532cd58d1b8672fbe52ca5835dc4dc0d.jpeg

8629AE32-E649-4CDE-BF2E-11819CD83BDB.thumb.jpeg.d8f1970ae7d8322961c661d91d0c3f06.jpeg

Thanks guys. Yes, the family builds are fun and rewarding. My mom has it proudly displayed in her living room, and it had the desired effect...it reminded her of Italy. She loves it. My dad passed away a few years back, so I didn’t feel guilty about the connection to moms old boyfriend. Not to mention that was, hmmmmm... several years ago. 

Cheers, Steve

It looks just great. Back in the sixties we were 'Mods', so some of us had Vespa's and I and a number of others had Lambretta's. We would tune them, add a fuel injectors, short exhausts, and have the side panels chrome plated. Others had chromed front and/or rear wheel carriers and loads of spot lights. We would 'cruise' down to the coast (about three hours) at weekends and meet up with other groups/clubs from around the country.

4 hours ago, PatW said:

It looks just great. Back in the sixties we were 'Mods', so some of us had Vespa's and I and a number of others had Lambretta's. We would tune them, add a fuel injectors, short exhausts, and have the side panels chrome plated. Others had chromed front and/or rear wheel carriers and loads of spot lights. We would 'cruise' down to the coast (about three hours) at weekends and meet up with other groups/clubs from around the country.

Hi Patrick, thanks for sharing that. Sounds like good fun! Maybe Enzo was in one of those clubs... That puts a smile on my face. 
Cheers, Steve

That looks fantastic!  Especially your added details like the glovebox.

That kit was originally issued back in the 1970's by PROTAR.  Which, like Italeri, was an Italian model company.  They kitted a bunch of 1/9 scale 2-wheelers that nobody else ever did, including a 750cc Norton Commando. 

If you want a Vespa, you're in luck.  Italeri just re-issued that kit last year.

And if you want to do something different with it...I shot this photo when I lived in Alexandria, Egypt from 2005-09.  Most fast-food joints had a whole fleet of scooters, like this McDonalds.  Yes, you could get McDonalds delivered right to your door!

Picture 365.jpg

Steve!

That looks fantastic! What a great story, and a great model to go with it. My brother and I have made models of things for my dad for Christmas, and things like this with a personal connection are always great to see. 

You rocked that thing, hard, man! Great work through and through!

33 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

That looks fantastic!  Especially your added details like the glovebox.

That kit was originally issued back in the 1970's by PROTAR.  Which, like Italeri, was an Italian model company.  They kitted a bunch of 1/9 scale 2-wheelers that nobody else ever did, including a 750cc Norton Commando. 

If you want a Vespa, you're in luck.  Italeri just re-issued that kit last year.

And if you want to do something different with it...I shot this photo when I lived in Alexandria, Egypt from 2005-09.  Most fast-food joints had a whole fleet of scooters, like this McDonalds.  Yes, you could get McDonalds delivered right to your door!

Picture 365.jpg

Haha!! That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing the photo. I was in Europe last year, (pre- Covid) just after I had purchased the kit. I took many photos of the various Vespa’s I saw. I came home inspired and dove right in, so it would be ready for mom’s Christmas. Got a few ideas from the older ones, such as the rear view mirror mounted low on the faring. Seems a daft place to have it but many of them did. I think Pyro made a Vespa too. Not sure what rendition the Italeri re-release is based on. 
Cheers, Steve

24 minutes ago, Faust said:

Steve!

That looks fantastic! What a great story, and a great model to go with it. My brother and I have made models of things for my dad for Christmas, and things like this with a personal connection are always great to see. 

You rocked that thing, hard, man! Great work through and through!

Hi Adam, thanks for the kind words. I totally agree that builds with a personal connection are always great. I would love to see what you and your brother built for your dad. If you have a chance, please check out the builds I did for my dad and daughter. In the “under glass” section under model cars, “62 Impala, replica of my dads car”, and “Toyota Prius, cool for my 13 year old daughter???!!!”

Cheers, Steve

35 minutes ago, Steve H said:

I think Pyro made a Vespa too. Not sure what rendition the Italeri re-release is based on. 

Pyro made a Vespa and a Lambretta scooter, both in 1/16 scale.  They're pretty nice little kits and sometimes turn up on eBay for fairly reasonable prices. 

The Italeri Vespa was originally a PROTAR kit from the 1970's.  Back in 1995 it turned up in a Revell box. Here's a timeline of its releases from Scalemates:

https://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=101611&p=timeline

1 minute ago, Mike999 said:

Pyro made a Vespa and a Lambretta scooter, both in 1/16 scale.  They're pretty nice little kits and sometimes turn up on eBay for fairly reasonable prices. 

The Italeri Vespa was originally a PROTAR kit from the 1970's.  Back in 1995 it turned up in a Revell box. Here's a timeline of its releases from Scalemates:

https://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=101611&p=timeline

Thanks Michael.