Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ordered a mini lathe today

Bills72sj

1 hour ago, Bill J said:

Pete the one i have is a manual lathe. My buddy had bought it, used,  to try some machining and ended up buying a CNC machine. Since he was not using the manual lathe he gave it to me. I sure can't complain but I need to find way to learn how to use it. 

Is there a school out your way to learn to use the lathe? We have a good community college here that you could take a class. 

This wont help with the learning curve but here is a lathe i bought new that is well suited for very light duty work

but after i bought all the extras it still wasn't cheap.

Being my working days included time as a tool maker this little tool is a mini version of the industrial type i used to run

Grizzly has a web site with the current version of this lathe.this particular machine can also be found in other brand names.

lathe.jpg.819fec6e3395d9cbec9700a4c8367902.jpg

Edited by Spruslayer

1 hour ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Is there a school out your way to learn to use the lathe? We have a good community college here that you could take a class. 

I need to look into that. There is a community college a mile from me. I think all the schools are still closed for the virus though. All the kids in elementary and high schools are doing virtual classes this year.

You are right, I shall look into the CC having some classes. Probably only need some basics.

7 hours ago, Bill J said:

Pete the one i have is a manual lathe. My buddy had bought it, used,  to try some machining and ended up buying a CNC machine. Since he was not using the manual lathe he gave it to me. I sure can't complain but I need to find way to learn how to use it. 

Here is my bible.  https://www.amazon.com/Tabletop-Machining-Joe-Martin/dp/0966543300  Joe Martin was the founder of Sherline tools.  Anytime anyone I know buys a lathe or mill, I make sure they buy one of these.  Understand that the book uses Sherline equipment for illustration but that doesn't interfere with the information.  He covers you from the first chips to major projects.  Well worth the money. 

6 hours ago, Spruslayer said:

This wont help with the learning curve but here is a lathe i bought new that is well suited for very light duty work

but after i bought all the extras it still wasn't cheap.

Being my working days included time as a tool maker this little tool is a mini version of the industrial type i used to run

Grizzly has a web site with the current version of this lathe.this particular machine can also be found in other brand names.

lathe.jpg.819fec6e3395d9cbec9700a4c8367902.jpg

Same one I have.... But it's painted red..

2 minutes ago, Deuces ll said:

Same one I have.... But it's painted red..

The only thing i did to this that to me was a waste was the digital readouts on the cross and miter slides.the quick change tool post was worth every penny

I did break the power feed drive gear but it was easy to get replacement parts,otherwise been a great lathe