Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1965 Pontiac Grand Slam

doorsovdoon

Here's my custom version of the AMT '65 Pontiac Grand Prix from the Original Art Series. Green tinted glass, white interior with high back bucket seats and Bubblegum Pink bodywork, what's not to like, haha. Four different versions can be built from this, or five if you mix and match your choice of custom parts, and whichever version you build there will be a ton of spare parts left over. There was very little flash on this kit and not a single fit issue, though using the custom front and back panels it can be a bit of a delicate process getting the base in the body without cracking the filler used to blend them in. The gutter trim and quarter windows are BMF but the rest of the chrome is Molotow pen. I'm still new to BMF and although worked out pretty well on my last build I just wasn't able to get it right on this one. With all the optional parts and goodies you get in this kit along with the artwork and the amazing looking box art, I think AMT did an outstanding job and really made an effort to wow with this. What a great little kit. Thanks for following along in WIP, enjoy the pictures:)

20200919_125933.JPG

20200919_130423.JPG

51 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Looks GREAT ! Nice to know that its customising parts fit-well , in-spite of ad infinitum runs of those moulds . Now I want to get one of those kits ! 

Thanks, John. I'd love to do one of each custom including the stock, but I'd have so many parts left over it would be a waste. You could actually build another car from the parts left over. You'd only need a body, interior tub and base, as there are x2 parts in the box, glass, dash, hood etc.

Amazing looking. Round 2 should use a picture of your build for their Box Art. I like the way you used a front bumper where their box art doesn't show one. This would make it a little more reasonable as a road car. The rear treatment looks great also. Never thought I'd get past the color, but the more I look at it the better it looks. Great finish and trim detailing. 

26 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Great to see it finished, looks really good.

Initially I wasn't sure about the front end, but when I forget what it would originally have looked like then it makes more sense and I can see what they were trying to do.

Thanks, Nigel. I love the design they played with here, a little more tweaking and it would almost look like the '67 Pontiac Catalina.

1 minute ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Gareth!

Nice built, in a striking and rare colour combo. Bravo! 

May-I ask what is the curious bottle-shaped accessory  over the console? Just curious...

CT

Thanks, Claude. That's a fuel test bottle, the kit comes with road testing equipment. The story I like to give it is, it's a concept car going through final testing before production.

Not sure how I feel about the green glass on a pink car but I’m not one to criticize stylistic choices. That is one cool, clean custom. I dig your interior and engine bay detail.Cool to see one built with all the road test parts too. It really is a fantastic kit. I immediately purchased a second one after I completed the one I built a couple years ago.

9 minutes ago, BeakDoc said:

Not sure how I feel about the green glass on a pink car but I’m not one to criticize stylistic choices. That is one cool, clean custom. I dig your interior and engine bay detail.Cool to see one built with all the road test parts too. It really is a fantastic kit. I immediately purchased a second one after I completed the one I built a couple years ago.

Thanks, Chris. It's an acquired taste, I'll give you that, lol. Did you do custom or stock?