Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tape Residue

Jim B

So, I am on my THIRD body for painting my 1949 Mercury Club Coupe.  I just want a black car with white doors.  How freaking hard can this be!  Anyway, paint disasters aside, I now have a new issue: masking tape residue on the black paint!  What is the best way to get this off without removing the paint?  I used Tamiya Gloss Black & Pure White on this build.

Thanks in advance.

Next time you mask, remove the tape almost immediately after painting. (Let it set up, though. Probably one hour max.) I've noticed that the longer Tamiya tape sits on a model, the more likely it is to mess up the paint underneath. I'm sure other tapes will also react the same way.

That was probably part of the problem: just too long on the model.  I'll clean it off & paint the black so hopefully I can get this one off the Shelf of Shame & into the display cabinet.  It's either that, or I crush it in ultimate frustration.  I'll keep you posted either way.

I get grief from some folks about this all of the time, but I use WD-40 to remove tape and foil residues.

Yeah, I know........but before I get the usual gasps of horror from some of you, I do it all of the time and then just follow it up with a thorough washing with a good grease cutting dish detergent.

Never have any issues with it and it works like a dream and won't damage the paint.

At least not the paint that I use.

Steve

56 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I get grief from some folks about this all of the time, but I use WD-40 to remove tape and foil residues.

Yeah, I know........but before I get the usual gasps of horror from some of you, I do it all of the time and then just follow it up with a thorough washing with a good grease cutting dish detergent.

Never have any issues with it and it works like a dream and won't damage the paint.

Steve

WD40 is  great at  removing all tape and label adhesive residue.

10 hours ago, Jim B said:

Thanks for the advice, guys.  I'll try the 50/50 alcohol & water mix.

The tape I used was a mix of Tamiya & blue painter's tape. Never had an issue with it before.  Maybe I left it on too long?

Watch the alcohol, it will remove Tamiya paints.

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

Great stuff!

3 hours ago, Jim B said:

I've heard of using WD40 for things like this, but I thought it was "urban legend".

Absolutely not!!

A good portion of WD-40's formulation is mineral oil which works great for removing things like stickers and tape residue.

Been using it for things like that for years!

Just be aware that yes, it is a petroleum oil based product and you don't want to try painting, foiling or decals over it without thoroughly washing the item clean of the oils after using.

Some folk's concern, and in my opinion the real "urban legend" is that somehow, this is some really insidious stuff that cannot be removed once applied and floats through the air like some plastic seeking virus looking for a model paint job to destroy. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think that's a lot of hooey.

I've been using it for many many years without a single poor reaction that I can think of.

It's just another product that needs to be respected for what it is and handled as such.

Steve

Jim,  You never mentioned specifically which Tamiya paint you used, but alcohol might affect both the acrylics in the glass jars, and the TS spray lacquers.

Are you sure that some of the tape's adhesive was leftover on the paint?  Usually Tamiya and Scotch Blue Painter's tapes don't shed adhesive like that.  Maybe what you are seeing is the tape leaving impression in the slightly soft paint?

Naphtha (VM&P Naphtha from hardware store, or Ronsonol Lighter Fluid) which is a petroleum distillate is good for removing tape adhesive.  But since it is a solvent, it might affect the paint.

WD40 works because it contains petroleum distillates.

Peter,

I used Tamiya Pure White TS-26 and Tamiya Gloss Black TS-14.

It sure looks like adhesive left behind by the tape.  It's only in the area where I used the blue painter's tape, not the Tamiya tape.  I'm going the try to "clean" it off this weekend, so we'll see.

37 minutes ago, Jim B said:

Peter,

I used Tamiya Pure White TS-26 and Tamiya Gloss Black TS-14.

It sure looks like adhesive left behind by the tape.  It's only in the area where I used the blue painter's tape, not the Tamiya tape.  I'm going the try to "clean" it off this weekend, so we'll see.

Jim, 

Use and old T-shirt or well used cotton wash cloth.  If it is only a small area a Q-tip will also do the job.  Be sure to dilute the alcohol 50/50 with water.  Pure alcohol will take dissolve Tamiya Lacquer.   I use 91% to strip rattle can Tamiya, but in this case the dilution should not effect it.  Last, if you do get a little dulling, you can buff that out with a little polish.  Good luck!

Before using any sort of solvents try this trick I sometimes use:  Take some regular tan-colored masking tape and use it to pick up the blue-tape adhesive residue stuck to the paint.  The regular masking tape's residue is more aggressive tan the blue tape's so it might be able to lift it from the paint surface.  You might have to dab and lift the tan tape several times to get all the adhesive lifted.