Model Cars Magazine Forum

ALF Fire Chief Updated 9/21

7 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

James I’m surprised that you didn’t suggest Syracuse University Orange Men. 

Well, I know that JT is in Texas, so Syracuse University might have bene out of the question, But the University of Texas might not be.

Well, Boys... The boom is finally under construction... This is one really crazy kind of model, but it has really been a fun build... It's that model you've never built before, you know... Just vague instructions and no numbers on the parts is making it rather difficult with all the mods I've made... But, I press on...

$$20201102_215902.jpg

$$20201102_215908.jpg

Most of the parts in the box are for the 'ladder chief' turntable. Just add the ground ladders which don't really fit in the racks. looks great, different colors. The directions were downsized from the original booklet form causing a lot to be lost in explanation. This is one kit that needs research before building,  Welcome to the world of fire:P

greg

9 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

JT the black boom looks good with the orange truck. You know the box would be even more empty if you take out the parts that you replaced with your after market parts. Lol. 

Thanks, Bud... You know what's funny? I must have used the tires for something a long time ago... I don't recall even seeing them in this box... Thank God for Moebius!!! ?

8 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Most of the parts in the box are for the 'ladder chief' turntable. Just add the ground ladders which don't really fit in the racks. looks great, different colors. The directions were downsized from the original booklet form causing a lot to be lost in explanation. This is one kit that needs research before building,  Welcome to the world of fire:P

greg

Yeah... I figured that... I almost used the wrong turntable... Glad I caught that mistake early on... And thanks... I have 2 more in this series to build... ? It's all good, though... ?

It's come a long way from the box photos...

###############20201103_151608.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

3 hours ago, vincen47 said:

Great work on this one. Looks awesome with the dual axles, another example of what “should have been done” by the kit maker in the first place. Good proportions and balance, certainly looks the part.

Thanks, Bro... I appreciate that... Definitely what I was going for... Balance and overall presentation... Just wanted it to look good... Thanks, again...

Got more done on the boom, today, even.... Paint and assembly was a bit of a bear, but I got it done... Had to make a few modifications, as the hydraulic rams are not strong enough to support it's own weight... I had a feeling they wouldn't, but I was hopeful... Anyway, until I figure out a way to do it, I just put some skewers to hold it up while I photographed it... I'm happy with the overall build, though... Almost done....

###############20201103_213214.jpg

###############20201103_213203.jpg

###############20201103_213039.jpg

###############20201103_151608.jpg

###############20201103_221001.jpg

###############20201103_221015.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

Just a thought on the basket at the end of the boom.  On rigs of this era they sometimes used reflective aluminum something like a proximity suit for fighting aircraft fires that they would wrap around the frame.   Helped keep the heat away from the crew operating in the basket.  Some silver duct tape might work if done in sections.

15 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

That looks s one impressive rig!! The orange looks great!! You really did a transformation on how this kit looks! Great work for sure!

Thanks a lot, B... I've always hated the immediate drop at the rear... Something just had to be done...

On 11/4/2020 at 12:06 PM, Chariots of Fire said:

Just a thought on the basket at the end of the boom.  On rigs of this era they sometimes used reflective aluminum something like a proximity suit for fighting aircraft fires that they would wrap around the frame.   Helped keep the heat away from the crew operating in the basket.  Some silver duct tape might work if done in sections.

Thanks, Bro... To be honest, I think I'm about done with this one... It's a cool thought, but it seems the more I try to add stuff, the closer I get to breaking something...Had a close call the other night.... I figure I better quit while I'm ahead... LOL!!! So, there won't be any more mods to this thing... I'll be happy to get some photos of it, outside without dropping it... Trust me... It's best for all of us...LOL!!! ?

Edited by kilrathy10

On 11/3/2020 at 5:16 PM, vincen47 said:

Great work on this one. Looks awesome with the dual axles, another example of what “should have been done” by the kit maker in the first place. Good proportions and balance, certainly looks the part.

Agree 100%. These things need stability when racing to a fire or rescue! The wheel upgrade really payed off on this one, great choice!

You really nailed the proportions on this one adding the extra axle !  Always thought the kit looked a little short for such a long boom. 

Killer build ! 

Nice 24 car too ! I saw his last race at Bristol when he ran the tribute rainbow scheme , always was a fan

On 11/6/2020 at 3:15 AM, leafsprings said:

Agree 100%. These things need stability when racing to a fire or rescue! The wheel upgrade really payed off on this one, great choice!

I appreciate you guys checking this project out... So glad you like it...

On 11/6/2020 at 2:18 PM, hct728(Bob) said:

Wow, that’s SO nice! Love to see that on my shelf, but you put so much work into it, I don’t think I’d have the stamina! Congratulations, well worth the effort

Thanks, Bro... Totally appreciated...?

On 11/6/2020 at 9:18 AM, Chariots of Fire said:

Fine piece of work!  Glad you had some fun with it.  That's what it's all about anyway!  God bless!

I appreciate all the reference material that was available on that site you showed me... I really couldn't have pulled this off without your input... I owe you a special thanks, Man... ?

On 11/6/2020 at 8:05 AM, gotnitro? said:

You really nailed the proportions on this one adding the extra axle !  Always thought the kit looked a little short for such a long boom. 

Killer build ! 

Nice 24 car too ! I saw his last race at Bristol when he ran the tribute rainbow scheme , always was a fan

Thanks, Bro... I just had to do something with this thing... I hated how the rear end looked so much like just an afterthought... Needed to flow better... Glad you liked my solution...

Oh, and the Jeff Gordon car is one of my favorites... Thanks, but it's just a die cast... I like it a lot, though... I find myself playing with it every once in a while... ?

Edited by kilrathy10

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, gator52 said:

Just ran across this thread; truly remarkable work!  I've got two of these planned; one OOB with the exception of shortening the boom to 70', and the second will be a dual-axle conversion with the later Snorkel boom.

Very nice!

Chris

Thanks, Bro... I hope you do a WIP thread on it... I'd love to see your take on this thing...

I did complete it, though... There is a thread in the Under Glass section... "ALF Aero Chief Completed"... Got some good shots of it, there... Thanks, again...