Model Cars Magazine Forum
Ctmodeler

An oddball... Wanted Testors garage kit !

This might by an oddball that noone has but was looking for that testors garage diorama kit. Any garage kit would work , the testors is the only one I know of though. Let me know if anyone has anything and then I'll let you know what I got to trade . Thanks 

The Testors garage is a Fujimi item, reboxed.

To be sure what you are looking for, this is a Fujimi Garage Kit with tools: under the Testors label:

Picture 1 of 3

This is a garage kit that I have seen under the Testors label as well:

Picture 1 of 2

And then there is the MRC kit:

MRC Texaco Service Station 1/24 Scale Model Kit #MRC | Texaco, Service  station, Scale model kits

2 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

To be sure what you are looking for, this is a Fujimi Garage Kit with tools: under the Testors label:

Picture 1 of 3

This is a garage kit that I have seen under the Testors label as well:

Picture 1 of 2

And then there is the MRC kit:

MRC Texaco Service Station 1/24 Scale Model Kit #MRC | Texaco, Service  station, Scale model kits

Yes the testors kit 

The Great Garages kit was made by Estes (the model rocket company), I have never seen or heard of a Testors version.  Those were made in 1/43 and 1/25 versions, they were not around long.  Some of the tools in the kits were cribbed from R&D Unique items; after some legal action by R&D the Estes items were taken off the market.  All indications are that they won't be manufactured again.

3 hours ago, Mark said:

The Great Garages kit was made by Estes (the model rocket company), I have never seen or heard of a Testors version.  Those were made in 1/43 and 1/25 versions, they were not around long.  Some of the tools in the kits were cribbed from R&D Unique items; after some legal action by R&D the Estes items were taken off the market.  All indications are that they won't be manufactured again.

I wound up getting 2 of the Estes 1/24 kits before the R&D Cease and Desist to them.  Saw a couple of renditions in different boxes, the above and I believe the Lincoln Mint sold through Testors, before they were stopped.  Dave and Tony (especially) would discuss the issues with them at our PSAMA meetings.  Still have those Estes unbuilt

SAM_3039.JPG

Edited by Exotics_Builder

I have the virgin floor and walls left over from a Testors/Fujimi kit. I used all the goodies inside in my larger diorama. I would up for a trade. PM me.

Garage and Tools kit.jpg

Edited by Bills72sj
add'l info

I have the tool set for the Fujimi/Testors garage, but never got the garage itself...it seems small, looks like it is big enough to fit either a car or the tools but not both.  I heard you can piece two of them together to get a larger garage, but those kits are on the spendy side for doing that.

3 hours ago, Mark said:

I have the tool set for the Fujimi/Testors garage, but never got the garage itself...it seems small, looks like it is big enough to fit either a car or the tools but not both.  I heard you can piece two of them together to get a larger garage, but those kits are on the spendy side for doing that.

Iirc, the floor and walls on the Fujimi garage kits are designed in such a way that if you have two or more kits they can be connected together. And tile pattern flooring is big enough that you could cut and put them together so they look seamless. Because yes, they are fine to fit a small Japanese car in but a full size truck or a muscle car looks cramped.

I have built the various ones.as you can see.  Sorry I do not have any extras but you see them at swap meets (when we had them before COVID) once in a while.  I build both scales so they may a nice display case for a diecast or model.

48CF8ABF-9D92-4166-86EE-42CB1CEC1056.jpeg

524550BB-385B-4042-A506-147D2F14C9EC.jpeg

1F2964A5-0C0A-4F8A-9B2F-8E72C10983D7.jpeg

9 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

I wound up getting 2 of the Estes 1/24 kits before the R&D Cease and Desist to them.  Saw a couple of renditions in different boxes, the above and I believe the Lincoln Mint sold through Testors, before they were stopped.  Dave and Tony (especially) would discuss the issues with them at our PSAMA meetings.  Still have those Estes unbuilt

SAM_3039.JPG

Those are cool!

Schuco sold some 1/43 ones in Toy stores maybe 20 years ago.  They were not a kit but came pre-painted and with figures too.  I wish I bought more of them.

A5374E18-14E7-4DEE-98A0-2FD824FB41B0.jpeg

11 hours ago, Toner283 said:

Iirc, the floor and walls on the Fujimi garage kits are designed in such a way that if you have two or more kits they can be connected together. And tile pattern flooring is big enough that you could cut and put them together so they look seamless. Because yes, they are fine to fit a small Japanese car in but a full size truck or a muscle car looks cramped.

That is exactly it. They include either corner posts for two corners or they have a connector that allows you to slide in the plastic wall panels to make a continual wall between two bases. I’ll have to see if I can dig up my photos from heartland nationals I took first place one year using one of those and a 61 impala

Aah yes , here we go .... the 1st place 2009 heartland dio .... I didn’t think it was that great compared to others on the table , but I’m not a judge ....as you can see it’s a tight fit with tools and an american car in there . 

DF3824C7-1659-43E5-B7F0-0045BF237B92.jpeg

You can link up to 5 of them together according to the instructions. Not sure what happens at 6...maybe the tax guy shows up and wants 1/24 money for the major garage operation you have going.

The Fujimi Garage as wells as the Tool Sets (Tools, Tools Remix 1, 2, & 3) and one unified kit called "Garage & Tools" have all been reissued several times over the past few years as recently as 2018. They're relatively cheap in Japan (About $17 for the garage, $12 for the tools and $26 for both, with the remixes being around  $15@). The problem is the Rona cancelling all mail service between here and Japan the only shipping is FedEx/DHL/UPS and that can make them a bit pricey.