Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Ford Galaxie XLGT restoration

pack rat

Finally finished one of my on-going projects.....well, almost....I haven't installed an exhaust system yet.

A really sad-looking AMT '68 Galaxy built-up I picked up a few years ago.  Brush-painted, with a (black cloth tape?) vinyl top and completely worn-out chrome, among other issues.

Basically box-stock, after I addressed the one accuracy glitch that has always bugged me on these kits; the too-large wheel openings on the body...accomplished by adding a 1-2mm thick section of plastic around the openings. 

I decanted and mixed some Tamiya paint to come up with something close to Gulfstream Aqua ( looks more blue-ish in my pics).

Not perfect, but I'm glad to get it off the bench.

AMT 68 Ford Galaxie.JPG

DSCN1082.JPG

DSCN1244.JPG

DSCN1247.JPG

DSCN1249.JPG

DSCN1256.JPG

DSCN1259.JPG

DSCN1260.JPG

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Wow!!

That's just sweet!

Really terrific work right there!

Steve

16 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Great save Mike. 

Always wonderful to see another old forgotten build brought back to life ???

Very high praise from these sources! And you can add mine as well for what it's worth. Well done and model on! B)

Really nice restoration! The color is perfect for it!

One thing that jumped out at me is the shape of the vent windows. They should come to a point at the top instead of squared off like they are. Easy fix. Nice work fixing the wheel openings. A very noticeable improvement! 

What a fantastic job you've done here. The before pic makes it look like a tired clunker that's been dragged out of a barn.

The finished result is excellent, great colour choice too.

I was admiring a couple of 1:1 '68 LTDs of similar vintage at a show just recently, they're great-looking things with the transitional styling between the clean '60s look and heavier appearance of the 1970s models. Your build showcases that perfectly.

10 hours ago, pack rat said:

Finally finished one of my on-going projects.....well, almost....I haven't installed an exhaust system yet.

A really sad-looking AMT '68 Galaxy built-up I picked up a few years ago.  Brush-painted, with a (black cloth tape?) vinyl top and completely worn-out chrome, among other issues.

Basically box-stock, after I addressed the one accuracy glitch that has always bugged me on these kits; the too-large wheel openings on the body...accomplished by adding a 1-2mm thick section of plastic around the openings. 

I decanted and mixed some Tamiya paint to come up with something close to Gulfstream Aqua ( looks more blue-ish in my pics).

Not perfect, but I'm glad to get it off the bench.

AMT 68 Ford Galaxie.JPG

DSCN1082.JPG

DSCN1244.JPG

DSCN1247.JPG

DSCN1249.JPG

DSCN1256.JPG

DSCN1259.JPG

DSCN1260.JPG

Awesome save i have one sitting in a box for 8 years now it's in bad shape but if it turns out half as good as yours i will be very happy funny i was going with a med blue to.