Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need Suggestions For Gluing Piping

I am looking to use red Detail Master Detailing Wire for piping around the cockpit padding for my Indy car project. The wire's coating seems to be Teflon, as it doesn't seem to stick with super glue. I'm thinking something more flexible might be a better option. Has anyone else used DM's detailing wire for piping, and, if so, what did you adhere it with? I'm  open to suggestions! Thanks!

DSC_0014cr.jpg

I have used some Plastruct products for just what you're trying to do here. They have a half round product in several sizes. I just used their #90881 1.5 mm wide for piping around some tuck & roll in a build I'm finishing right now. This will glue easily and can bend around corners very well. I give it a touch of glue and tape it in place to dry. 

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I did just what you are attempting on the finished paint. I suggest trying another brand wire if the Detail Master doesn’t work. This red was the other major brand, which is a bit larger. I used Zap-A-Gap CA glue very slowly and carefully! 

Excellent, Tom! I have some old MSC plug wire that just might do the trick. It's a bit larger in diameter, but, shouldn't be grossly out-of-proportion. It stays stuck in the distributors and plug boots, so, it should work, here! Thank you, kind sir!

9 hours ago, espo said:

I have used some Plastruct products for just what you're trying to do here. They have a half round product in several sizes. I just used their #90881 1.5 mm wide for piping around some tuck & roll in a build I'm finishing right now. This will glue easily and can bend around corners very well. I give it a touch of glue and tape it in place to dry. 

David, thanks for  your input! That's what I would use, if I was starting with bare plastic, for sure. I'm not sure of the viability of painting it either before or after installing it. That could prove tricky,  either way.

Edited by Straightliner59

6 hours ago, Ramfins59 said:

I've used Detail Masters detail wire for upholstery piping several times with great success.  As Daniel stated above, I used Zap-A-Gap very slowly and carefully, applying it in small amounts using a toothpick.

That looks very nice, Richard! I am sure I've used DM's detailing wire for piping,  at least once, before, and maybe twice. It's much closer, in scale, than even smaller diameter plug wire material. I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility that the insulation on the red is a different material, than the black.

IMG_0601webcrop.jpg

IMG_0602webcrop.jpg

12 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

David, thanks for  your input! That's what I would use, if I was starting with bare plastic, for sure. I'm not sure of the viability of painting it either before or after installing it. That could prove tricky,  either way.

The way I do it is to due any painting after the instillation. Sometimes I'll be painting different parts of the interior at different times and I just find it easier for me to use tape to mask off the different areas. I suggest trying some small pieces of scrap and try different methods to see what works best for you.  This may also vary from one interior style to the next also.   

That piping might be something you could represent with stretched styrene sprue- glues easily with liquid cement, and will take and hold paint just like kit parts. Holding a larger piece of sprue in the flame and rotating it should get you more than enough material to go around in one try.

2 hours ago, gman said:

That piping might be something you could represent with stretched styrene sprue- glues easily with liquid cement, and will take and hold paint just like kit parts. Holding a larger piece of sprue in the flame and rotating it should get you more than enough material to go around in one try.

Thank you, Greg! Again, that brings up the issue of painting. Try as I might, I could not get the DM wire to stick. I  ended up using some old MSC plug wire, which is too big, but...

2DSC_0001cr.jpg