Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anybody tried the new Revell Acrylic clear?

17 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

Have not seen it on a shelf or available from one of the online retailers just yet, although Tower Hobbies is advertising they will be carrying it soon.

Hi Mike!

Thank you for the feedback.

I know that the roll-out was supposed to be USA, then Canada. A friend who is relocating his hobby shop in a larger floor-space by this coming october (all is not down in this hobby, eh?) told me he already received the display rack and most products, but was saving this as a crowd puller for his opening night... So, I tought that US retailers had them by now. 

Michael's Canada ran a clearance sale on Testor's model paints, and I wonder if they will switch to Revell's? Any sign of that on your side of the border? Or at Hobby Lobby?

CT

7 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I would guess they're Humbrol, based on the tins. Excellent paint, in my experience!

Humbrol is Humbrol and Revell is Revell. Not the same thing at all. They're both diffenrent products and have different composition.

Humbrol Made in the UK and Revell Made in Germany as can be seen in the picture below. Also the lid and can are different.

Humbrol vs Revell 1.jpg

Humbrol vs Revell 2.jpg

Edited by Rakentaja
Add pictures.

This is what Revell USA had to say on Facebook in response to questions about availability in the U.S. and Canada:

Hello Joe, first of all thank you for message. We always try to execute every single request with an individual response. Sometimes it may sound like a generic answer, but you can be sure that we care for the requests of our community and fans. But there are often questions that have already been issued several times and that's why our answer may sound generic. We are not in the position to give out details about our campaigns, launch dates or internal information. We hope that you can understand this. We are sorry that the launch of the new line of paints is delayed (due to shipping problems in connection with COVID-19 pandemic) but we are working on a solution for it. Thanks for your understanding - have a nice day.

11 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

This is what Revell USA had to say on Facebook in response to questions about availability in the U.S. and Canada:

Hi Joe!

Thank you for relaying this Facebook post... I'm not much into Facebook myself, so...

I guess I'll be able to buy some in mid-october if my LHS friend tells me the truth when he says he has just received his display rack and merchandise, but won't bother to install it before he opens his new store location in a few weeks... Let's wait and see! 

I'll report what I get and experience with it on this forum ASAP. I miss the Testor's Wet Look Clear terribly. It was my favorite. I hope the new Revell holds a candle to it... If not, it will be a case of firing the airbrush and open the can of House of Kolor catalized urethane show clear. 

CT

• 1 year later...

I sealed the foil on this Chevelle with Mr. Super Clear UV Cut gloss and then I added the decals. Then I read the can and it says it cannot be used over decals.🤨 So I bought a can of the Revell gloss. It has a real nice shine to it and doesn’t harm the decals.🙂 It has a nice spray pattern but it comes out like a firehose, so you have to spray from a distance. This is straight out of the can with no polishing.

12D9F4E0-A142-4C79-899F-6903F51D426C.jpeg

09BBB4F3-2EBB-463D-9EDE-2533A61C0E84.jpeg

D904F794-3A7B-4F00-9337-71A3E1FFFC0C.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG
Sp
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi Greg!

I just found that you joined this thread with the blue Chevy pics. Thank you. It looks very shiny!

I must say I'm not surprised. I experimented further with the Revell clear this past winter, and I must say I am more and more impressed by it. It seems of lesser viscosity than the Testor's, but logically flashes faster, and in my experience, maintaining more of the desirable wet look while drying. I also discovered that if you limit yourself to two (2) wet applications spaced by about 10 minutes, the "wet" look you get after the second heavy coat stays suprisingly glossy after curing. Which eases the polishing process. 

All in all, I think it will be my go-to clear for the foreseable future.  I also discovered that the stem on the Revell can accepts the Testor's accessory spray caps pack that I bought at Michael's when they clearanced the Testor's line of spray can paints last year. One of the caps (the black one) is supposed to provide a narrower fan (1.5 inch vs 2.5 on the Revell standard white cap). I will test it soon, and report my findings, if they can be of any help to fellow modelers. 

I also tested MR. Hobby Super Clear AND followed it with their Flashcoat (Top coat). They lost much gloss upon curing, but after vigourous polishing, gave acceptable results. But stlil required more work than Revell's or Testor's Wet Look to attain the same smooth gloss. 

Keep spraying!

CT