Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Vending Machine Show Rod

alan barton

In my collection of hot rods I include show rods as long as they have a visibly pre-war vintage look to them - in other words, bathtubs, bunk beds, barber chairs and pool tables don't make the cut!  This one just snuck in, mainly because I had never seen one in the flesh and when they got re-issued recently I thought I might as well do a box stock quickie for a change.  And I nearly did!

Construction is mostly straight forward but some parts locations are vague.  I glued the pickup bed to the frame prior to paint - I couldn't see getting them glued together afterwards without an ugly, smeared glue seam. I have to admit that I had to refer to the instructions to assemble the Corvette IRS - I don't know what they were thinking with the parts break up for this one!  It looks good finished but I reckon I had three goes at it - it is far from logical. If you wanted to do a 21st century interpretation of Uncertain T, that chassis would be a good start I reckon.

The small block Chevy is rather sub par in detail but careful paint and assembly will yield a decent result.  Make sure to use a slow drying glue for the carbs and manifold - it takes a while to get everything lined up straight and level.

The wheels and tyres are worth the price of admission but unfortunately in Australia we are now paying in excess of $60 a kit so I won't be buying up extras for the rolling stock, mores the pity.  And the Coke decals are very nicely done, especially the display board. The replica Coke Machine doors on each side of the cab could easily be scratchbuilt into a cool Coke machine for a diorama.

I didn't even swap this one to right hand drive because I figured no-one would be driving this puppy on Australian roads.  I NEARLY got it on the shelf unmodified but I simply could not come to terms with that gawdawful grille shell - what was Steve Tansy thinking? The one I used to replace it is from, I think, the MPC Switchers T bucket so at least I kept it in the family. It looks a lot happier up front. You can see what I mean in the second last photo.

The taillights are miniature  red plastic  Coke bottles, too good to waste in a hidden location! I am going to keep them for a diorama scene.  A set of traditional Model T gas lamps take their place with some scratchbuilt brackets.

I really built it just for fits and giggles.  It's obviously from a time when kit manufacturers could sell ANYTHING!

Cheers

Alan

20200503_092110.jpg

20200531_112225.jpg

20200531_112240.jpg

20200621_123535.jpg

20200621_122307.jpg

20200621_123900.jpg

20200531_112311.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

Tom, the engine block and coke doors are Dulux Lipstick Red in a big hardware store type spray can - it is my new favourite red.  That's the major Aussie paint brand but I strongly suspect you won't find it in the USA.  The cover on the bed and the interior panels are in Testors Fabric Red - I love this stuff!  The white is Tamiya Pearl White.

Cheers

Alan