Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Corvette Drag Racer

Lizard Racing

I had this AMT 'Vette sitting in the stash waiting for me to decide what to do with it.  I finally hit on making a drag racer stock sports car.  NHRA thought sports cars would have an inherent advantage over American stockers, so they ran in their own classification.

dsp1.jpg.60250db18a78cdbbc814332cb388646e.jpg

it finally dawned on me why so many stock drag racers had their horsepower ratings on the front fenders (it wasn't bragging).  Class assignment was based on factory power and shipping weight ratio.  Having the HP rating on the car made it easier for the officials to determine legality when weighing after each run.  I guess that's why.

dsp3.jpg.d641188f2b4b27c14536c1da32dcac0a.jpg

The 360 HP fuel injection Vette fit at the top of Class D, whereas the 340 HP carburetor fit at the bottom of Class E.

dsp4.jpg.28afbef8a736cfb8b5274274b04b0c2c.jpg

P.S.  I like '62 Corvettes.  Number 11 is the last SCCA National Champion (driven by Don Yenko) before the Cobra domination.  Number 4 is the Delmo Johnson Sebring runner.  Number 11 is the Revell kit, the other two are AMT.  Except for the lack of hard top, the Revell kit is better.  AMT kit has several fit issues.

Thanks for looking. Model on!!

• Like 2

Believe it or not,  the main reason for carrying the hp and cubic inch on the cars was for the spectators.  Most spectators and people in the pits looking at the cars appreciated “stock” cars and were curious about the type(s) of engines they had.  Until I lettered my car, the first question(s) was always the size of engine and hp.