Model Cars Magazine Forum

Quick question...

Does everyone have a portal to another dimension on or near their work bench, or is it just me? I pryed off a part with my hobby knife that I had incorrectly installed and when it “popped” off, I heard it hit the inside corner of my workspace then.....? I hope whoever is on the other side sends it back soon!?

Edited by NOBLNG

On a microscopic piece of sand that floats through space is a fragment of a man's life. Left to rust is the place he lived in and the machines he used. Without use, they will disintegrate from the wind and the sand and the years that act upon them; all of Mr. Corry's machines - including the one made in his image, kept alive by love, but now obsolete in the Twilight Zone.

A part? I'm currently looking for a whole KIT I bought a few months ago at the toy show. Finally came up with an idea of what I can do with the incomplete mess, and now it's GONE! :blink: Have scouted the Snakepit and it's nowhere to be found. 

I only have three possible recourses to find it: 

1. Go buy another one. 

2. Give up on it; go looking for something else. 

3. Accuse The Lovely Mrs. Snake of throwing it away or moving it. 

:lol:

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

This option usually works for me!! When I start looking for something else, I find what I was looking for in the first place!

Edited by Bucky

11 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Boy, that thought has crossed my mind a number of times over the years! Thankfully 99.9% of the time I take a break and re-think that scenario. ?

It works almost every time, but quite often it's not worth the subsequent trouble. B):lol:

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

A part? I'm currently looking for a whole KIT I bought a few months ago at the toy show. Finally came up with an idea of what I can do with the incomplete mess, and now it's GONE! :blink: Have scouted the Snakepit and it's nowhere to be found. 

That was me this past Labour Day weekend.  I figured I'd get a bunch of painting done before the weather got too cold.  I remembered a Jo-han Cadillac Cabriolet that had been almost finished for far too long, so I figured I'd finish the painting on that.  It's not a small box, but do you think I could find it?  On the up side, in the process of searching, I found some missing parts that had been holding me up on a couple of other projects.

9 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Boy, do I know that one. Somewhere, either here at home or in my shop at work, I have a complete rebuilder 62 Pontiac Bonneville that I bought for cheap. I even have pictures of it sitting on my bench at work to prove that I do own it and did not dream it. But I cannot find it anywhere. It's been gone for about 8 months now. I keep telling myself that someday soon I'll find it. If anyone finds it, please return it!

Later- 

IMG_20190816_080820813_HDR.jpg

Edited by Modlbldr

This is a more common problem then you my realize. I keep a small projector beam type flash light in my work bench drawer. I have to get down on my hands and knees and shine the light across the floor/carpet or what ever combination you have on the floor. This will usually show the part and some other things you forgot that you lost, also you realize it's time to dust and vacuum the floor. Small parts seem to gravitate toward the legs of a work bench or along the base board. No I don't know why but that's where I usually find my parts. 

I once lost a shoebox full of early Falcon and Ranchero rebuilders and parts. It became a running joke in my club.. wherever my elusive Falcon box has toddled off to.

It was missing for years and had never left the model room!  I found it when I was packing to move. The bottom shoe box in the closet was marked “Matchbox Cars”. I realized it was awful light.. opened it and Falcons!  It was marked “Falcons” on the opposite end facing the wall!

11 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I only have three possible recourses to find it: 

1. Go buy another one. 

3. Accuse The Lovely Mrs. Snake of throwing it away or moving it. 

You too? A long time ago when we moved in our house back in 1996, I had 2 model kits stored in my cellar. Tamiya 1/48 scale A-10 Warthog kit and a limited edition 1/144 scale B-52 Stratofortress with Griffiss AFB markings (I bought that kit right around the time of the Air Base closures in the early 90s and Griffiss AFB was on that list). 

I knew where I had it stored but I got suspicious after 6 months later thinking maybe one of the plumbers repairmen swiped them on me while dealing with a main drain issue back then. Who knows. I'm still holding out hope it'll turn up somewhere.

Lol you said return. But I agree with idea. 
I have awful habit of putting similar stuff in one box, 29’s, 32’s etc to conserve space. Root around in projects. 
Snake, did you post AMT vs. Revell 29 bodies comparison, or was that someone else?  Maybe together?

On 9/22/2020 at 6:19 PM, Modlbldr said:

Boy, do I know that one. Somewhere, either here at home or in my shop at work, I have a complete rebuilder 62 Pontiac Bonneville that I bought for cheap. I even have pictures of it sitting on my bench at work to prove that I do own it and did not dream it. But I cannot find it anywhere. It's been gone for about 8 months now. I keep telling myself that someday soon I'll find it. If anyone finds it, please return it!

Later- 

IMG_20190816_080820813_HDR.jpg

Told you I need to come up and organize everything.  ?

I've lost many parts, mostly small bits like door mirrors, but the one that gets me talking to myself saying "This isn't possible" is two full sized hubcaps from a '64 Impala build I did a few months back. I ended up using Cragars, which turned out to look really nice by the way:) but c'mon, there's no way such big parts can just disappear like that! I still question my sanity thinking about it, xD