Model Cars Magazine Forum

Musical Super Groups

afx

Super Groups have a very hit or miss quality but I thought we might explore them.  To kick things off I submit:

The Firm a British rock supergroup formed in 1984, featuring singer Paul Rodgers (Free and Bad Company), guitarist Jimmy Page (The Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin), drummer Chris Slade (Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Uriah Heep and later AC/DC) and bass player Tony Franklin.

Edited by afx

Temple of the Dog was an American rock supergroup that formed in Seattle, Washington in 1990. It was conceived by vocalist Chris Cornell of Soundgarden as a tribute to his friend, the late Andrew Wood, lead singer of the bands Malfunkshun and Mother Love Bone. The lineup included Stone Gossard on rhythm guitar, Jeff Ament on bass guitar (both ex-members of Mother Love Bone and later Pearl Jam), Mike McCready (Pearl Jam) on lead guitar, and Matt Cameron (Soundgarden and later Pearl Jam) on drums. Eddie Vedder appeared as a guest to provide some lead and backing vocals.

First thing I think of when I think of "supergroup" is Beck Bogart Appice. Which was awful. 

But I got two other candidates. Here's an impromptu supergoup: Randy Newman, Tom Petty, Jackson Browne, John Fogerty, Waddy Wachtel, Paul Shaffer and The World's Most Dangerous Band: 

And if you like bluegrass/country, hard to get more super than this group: 

Edited by Snake45

Here's another, probably not going to be popular around here.

Metal Allegiance.

Permanent members are Alex Skolnick from Testament, Dave Ellefson from MEgadeth, and Mike Portnoy from Dream Theatre.

Guest members apeparing live and in studio includ members of Anthrax, Testament, Overkill, Periphery,  Sepultura, Lacuna Coil, Slayer, and so many more.