Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi all I built this and the road roller in my 20s(when it was readily available) and have been looking to get it again for years (but not for the silly money it was going for) well I finally got my hands on it for reasonable money.

Look at all those lovely models they did round the side of the box.

IMG-4374.jpg
IMG-4373.jpg

All those models sadly no longer available (probably several others too, I remember building the Rolls Royce balloon car not pictured there) another kit I would love to build again (I've never seen that available even on ebay, so I would imagine if it came up it would be huge amounts of money)

Anyway here are the first parts to be assembled.

IMG-4377.jpg
IMG-4379.jpg

And a bit of priming (after loads of filling and sanding.

IMG-4375.jpg
IMG-4398.jpg
IMG-4396.jpg
IMG-4399.jpg
IMG-4397.jpg

Oh how I wish Bandia would bring those other models back out.

Hi all well I've tried the first 30+ yr old decal (in an unobtrusive place incase it was a disaster)it seems to be fine 

IMG-4407.jpg

I dont remember this problem when I built there appears to have been some shrinkage, when you try to add the front of the boiler it splits the joint so I had to add a shim to stop it.

IMG-4408.jpg

All seems to fit ok now.

IMG-4409.jpg
IMG-4411.jpg
IMG-4412.jpg
IMG-4410.jpg

More work done on this one, I dont want it too shiny as they just weren't (all that heat oil grease and smoke) plus they didn't have 2 pack paint back then (in fact I think most of them were hand painted with a brush) a lot of the pipework is moulded into the body of the kit, I intend to replace that with actual pipework.

IMG-4420.jpg
IMG-4421.jpg
IMG-4419.jpg
IMG-4422.jpg
IMG-4423.jpg
IMG-4420.jpg

May I humbly suggest you use a less cluttered background for your photos. Try a sheet of poster board or some other neutral colored paper to show us your craftsmanship. I buy large sheets of colored paper in the craft section at Hobby Lobby for just that purpose. Good luck with your project.

More work done on this (done some weathering on the engine block) started on the water tank, Im glad the 30+ yr old decals seem to be behaving themselves, got some oil staining to do to the engine block im thinking of trying to scratch build the speed regulator (that may be a little ambitious) the kit one just niggles me, we will have to see how difficult that is, I may still end up using the kit supplied one.

I must say I don't remember the kit being so blooming awkward the first time I built it (then again Id never heard of filling or sanding bits for a better fit in those days)

I'm sure the fit was better then as I didn't have the patience I have now with warped parts, I think if I was struggling then as I am now it would have been bin fodder, strangely, though I'm finding that slightly better as I end up thinking "hey I got that looking ok"( despite the effort it took)

IMG-4444.jpg
IMG-4442.jpg

IMG-4446.jpg
IMG-4445.jpg

IMG-4434.jpg
IMG-4447.jpg
IMG-4443.jpg

Sorry Tom will try to do better in the future.

Well my missus looked at me like id grown a second head when I bought these in the cheap shop.

IMG-4467.jpg

I said "what, I can see them being useful in modeling" she said "well if you start wearing my underwear we are getting a divorce"

Heres the first use I've found for them.

This is the regulator the kit supplies 

IMG-4466.jpg
IMG-4465.jpg

It needs painting but I'm sure you'll agree a big improvement 

IMG-4472.jpg
IMG-4471.jpg
IMG-4470.jpg
IMG-4469.jpg
IMG-4474.jpg

Those old showman's engines make eye-catching models. As far as I know this Bandai model is the only large scale plastic kit of this subject. EMA  at Feltham marketed a box of Plastruct sheet plastic, tubing and extrusions with a set of plans for a scratch build in plastic way back in the 70's I think.

South Eastern (ex Wills) Finecast in the UK markets a number of white metal kits in 1/32 scale of period steam vehicles such as the showmans engine and other commercials.

KP's model is coming on well and look forward to seeing it completed.

Going on to horse drawn vehicles, it surprises me that no one has kitted a Reading Ledge Caravan ( more familiarly recognised as the highly decorated Romany Gypsy caravan).

Edited by Bugatti Fan

Hi all more progress on this it really is a lovely kit, I wish they would release some of the others they used to make.

IMG-4588.jpgIMG-4585.jpg
IMG-4584.jpg
IMG-4583.jpg
IMG-4582.jpg
IMG-4581.jpg

And I've finally bitten the bullet and started painting the lines on the wheels(I've been avoiding it as my eyes and hands are not as good as they were in my 20s)

IMG-4586.jpg