Model Cars Magazine Forum

How should I store built models and kits?

Since I am currently taking a break from building, I want to store my built models and kits. Right now I have my built models in clear plastic bags in a big container (I put them in bags that way no parts would get lost), and my kits in a box (I also bagged up all the loose parts in the opened kits). I’m not looking to keep the built models in perfect condition as they’re going to get restored one day. All the models are currently in a finished basement with a dehumidifier.

So, with all that being said, how would I store the built models and opened kits without them deteriorating? Should I take the decals out of the kits? Should I keep the loose parts in containers instead of bags? Should I take the built models out of the bags and just store them in the container? Any help is much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

One thing you might want to avoid is packing them in a way that any plastic bags come in contact with the model especially the paint work. Not always but often the chemical make up of some plastic bags and wrappings could interreact with some paints.  Built kits I have wrapped in a paper towel and put them in the original box if you still have them. This should protect the finish and catch any small parts that might get knocked off the body. Store them in the basement is a good place but it could be better if you can get some pallets to store them on. I have used Moving Boxes from U-Haul to stack the kits in and card board being cardboard it can wick moisture from the floor. and the pallets will keep the air movement under the boxes. 

Thank you all for the replies and information. Much appreciated. I have just a couple more questions... 

I took all the built models out of the plastic bags and wrapped them in paper towels. Would it hurt/warp them if I just stacked them back in the container/bin that I had them in, about 5 cars deep/high?

Should I take the decals out of the unopened kits too, or just the opened ones?

Would keeping the loose parts of the opened kits in a clear plastic bag be ok? 

Could I store the decals in a clear paper protector without any problems?

Not trying to ask a lot of questions, just want to store them properly that way I don’t run into any issues in the future.

Edited by Hotrod 97
Added question

To store nicely built kits I would suggest some sort of a box or display case to keep them from getting crushed. I save the boxes the kits come in and if I'm storing or moving them these are then stacked in moving boxes. Keep them wrapped in the paper towels you mentioned. I would think if they're rolling around lose they would get banged up real fast even if you're careful. The tighter they are packed in the larger moving boxes the less they move around and the less chance of damage. Decals can get damaged if the face of the decals are against the inside of a plastic bag for an extended period of time. You may have noticed that many kit manufactures have been putting the decal sheets in new kits with a smooth paper covering the face and these are often in side a sealed plastic bag. The key I think is to protect the face of the decals and of course keep them in as dry a climate as possible.  

I had a model wrapped in bubble wrap a while back and it crazed the windows - plastic in bubble wrap is similar and to be flexible plasticisers are added to the plastic. The haze on your real cars windscreen is haze from the plasticisers used in the plastic or vinyl in the dash panel. It also attacks paint

Better to wrap in soft paper such as tissues or toilet roll which is cheaper - use it to wrap and as a filler around the kit

4 hours ago, bill-e-boy said:

I had a model wrapped in bubble wrap a while back and it crazed the windows - plastic in bubble wrap is similar and to be flexible plasticisers are added to the plastic. The haze on your real cars windscreen is haze from the plasticisers used in the plastic or vinyl in the dash panel. It also attacks paint

Better to wrap in soft paper such as tissues or toilet roll which is cheaper - use it to wrap and as a filler around the kit

The crazing is caused by the bubble wrap because it's a plastic type product. I think if you had a paper towel type product in between you would be fine. The bubble wrap actually seems like a good idea to take up the room in the storage box, just need something to go between the bubble wrap and the plastic model.