Model Cars Magazine Forum

Toyota Prius custom... cool for a 13year old daughter ???!!, ????

Steve H

Hi all, 

So........ I never much cared for the Prius. No disrespect to anyone that owns one. My daughter, (then 13) absolutely loved the Prius, she had the TV commercial song memorized. And, true story, she just sang it word for word a couple of weeks ago....she’s almost 20 now. 
Any-whoooo here goes.

I wanted to build a model for my daughter, what to build? Hmmmmm, how the heck do you make a Prius “cool” for a 13 year old girl?! Way outside my comfort zone. The muscle car lover in me wanted a blown BBC poking out of the hood! And tubs!! 
This one was a stretch for me, but in the end, I was very pleased with the build. I hope you like it.

So I diverted course from the BBC idea and opted for something “safer” for my daughter to drive. 
This is the Fujimi kit, not sure what year, maybe 2013?, beautiful kit by the way.  I lowered the stance, and added wheels and tires from the AMT Chrysler 300C. The interior has a pink “leopard” print on the seats which were hand painted, and home made fuzzy dice. The wing and chrome exhaust tip are from the parts box. Decals are various from the decal box. Oh, and fake eyelashes above the headlights...of course. Windows are tinted with Tamiya smoke clear. Can’t remember the name of the colour but it is Tamiya paint. 

All in all, an extremely fun build that was wayyyyyyy out side my zone. What was I thinking?! I actually laughed several times during this build, (especially with the eyelashes)  doesn’t get much better than that. Any way, hope it puts a smile on your face. Comments welcome, and thanks for looking.

Cheers, SteveCEDCAE0B-7BF6-4AE3-813B-C893FC5EC0C0.thumb.jpeg.c5bcbce2141631e39a2ac0dc37880907.jpeg4F4F5EAC-92BB-4306-8966-20169682B2DB.thumb.jpeg.659c2429080d403a185b72754378e6e4.jpeg, Steve
D5128DE2-EC38-45CD-B056-5F9BCC4D2FCF.thumb.jpeg.9ac4780de24cecf9fad7d15129698e97.jpeg

C3054634-010C-41DD-8296-F4C4FC74E3F6.jpeg

Once you get past the tong in cheek humor of the subject, and I also got a big smile out of it,  this is really a great looking very cleanly built model. I would like to know what paint you used for the body. Love the flames along the sides. 

10 hours ago, espo said:

Once you get past the tong in cheek humor of the subject, and I also got a big smile out of it,  this is really a great looking very cleanly built model. I would like to know what paint you used for the body. Love the flames along the sides. 

Hi David, thanks for the kind words. Body colour is Tamiya TS 59 light pearl red... yep, it’s pink!

Cheers, Steve

10 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Paint is very nice... can't say much else! xD Good looking build though.

Hi Gareth, thanks for the cruel honesty! The Prius, to be honest was, and is one of my least favourite cars. However it was fun to have a go at it. The most important thing was that my daughter loved it. Now, back to the 51 Anglia!!!

Cheers, Steve

9 hours ago, Slimguy said:

The model made me smile...I love what you did. Really a nice and creative build.

Hi David, thanks so much. To put a smile on someone’s face makes me feel good. 
We are from the same ‘hood!! I was actually born in Long Beach Ca. 

Cheers, Steve

It's also out of my comfort zone but it's all in your honor to have taken the time to build something for your daughter!   It's a cool and very clean build with a bit of the "Steve treatment" with its body so close to the ground.  You had fun, she loves it, that's all that matters!  Well done sir!!!

3 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

It's also out of my comfort zone but it's all in your honor to have taken the time to build something for your daughter!   It's a cool and very clean build with a bit of the "Steve treatment" with its body so close to the ground.  You had fun, she loves it, that's all that matters!  Well done sir!!!

Francis, when this whole COVID thing is done, I’m going to plan a trip to see my buddy Tony in Ottawa, then I am going to meet you at a model show in your ‘hood. I’ll bring a few builds for the show! Seriously, any compliment from you is an honour to receive. Your work is absolutely top shelf. Thanks for checking out the Prius, my daughter has gotten a bit of a kick out of the comments. I have told her about my new friend Francis from back East. I will make sure she sees your comment. 
Cheers my friend, and thanks for having a look. I like that you already know my style.... LOWWWWWW.

10 hours ago, Steve H said:

Francis, when this whole COVID thing is done, I’m going to plan a trip to see my buddy Tony in Ottawa, then I am going to meet you at a model show in your ‘hood. I’ll bring a few builds for the show! Seriously, any compliment from you is an honour to receive. Your work is absolutely top shelf. Thanks for checking out the Prius, my daughter has gotten a bit of a kick out of the comments. I have told her about my new friend Francis from back East. I will make sure she sees your comment. 
Cheers my friend, and thanks for having a look. I like that you already know my style.... LOWWWWWW.

It would be a great pleasure to meet you in person Steve and I do wish it will happen one day!  Luckily we have this forum to stay in touch and share during the pandemic situation so yes, I will also bring some of my builds if the opportunity arises.  By the way, your style isn't just LOW, it's clean and tastefully done builds!!! ?