Model Cars Magazine Forum

P.E. Callout!!! Bring out your Photoetched!!!

Plastic_Passion

Here is my Monogram Ultimates 1:43 289 Cobra.  This kit, when it came out, was way ahead of its time.  It included a fret of photoetched parts. They were:
Wire wheels and spinners, windshield wipers, hood latches, emblems, grille, rear view mirror, steering wheel spokes, and the dashboard.  I also added few more aftermarket photoetched parts like some throttle linkages, a shifter boot bezel, license plate frames, and a cage for the electric cooling fan (actually a fan grille for an H0 model railroad locomotive).  The seat belts also have photoetched buckles.

Before final assembly.

PartsAll01_zpsb0c3457c.jpg

And the finished model.

RtFront_zps92107242.jpg

Remember, this is a 1:43 scale, so the parts are tiny!

Edited by peteski

14 hours ago, peteski said:

Here is my Monogram Ultimates 1:43 289 Cobra.  This kit, when it came out, was way ahead of its time.  It included a fret of photoetched parts. They were:
Wire wheels and spinners, windshield wipers, hood latches, emblems, grille, rear view mirror, steering wheel spokes, and the dashboard.  I also added few more aftermarket photoetched parts like some throttle linkages, a shifter boot bezel, license plate frames, and a cage for the electric cooling fan (actually a fan grille for an H0 model railroad locomotive).  The seat belts also have photoetched buckles.

Before final assembly.

And the finished model.

RtFront_zps92107242.jpg

Wow!!!! This is amazing!!!!! You must be good with the tweezers.

6 minutes ago, Plastic_Passion said:

Wow!!!! This is amazing!!!!! You must be good with the tweezers.

Thanks!  Yes, tweezers and a stereo-microscope are in my tool arsenal. So is the Optivisor.

Tweezers_zpsc2415612.jpg

Actually, I must be having senior moments - for my model RR hobby I built many photoetched kits in N scale (1:160).  That is quite a bit smaller than the Cobra.  Here are few of those models.

Drag_lineQ.jpg

The boom is a folded photoetched part, rest of the kit is a pewter casting.

15_FordT_01_800.jpg

A 1915 Ford T - all photoetched brass. Well, I did add some styrene parts. The engine block (visible through the louvers) is a block of styrene, and to add depth to the flat headlight castings, I glued pieces of styrene rod to the back of the headlights.  The brass parts also included a rudimentary interior.

This is the most complex photoetched kit I've done:

14KnoxCoin.jpg

A 1914 Knox Chemical Fire Engine.  On this one I added several brass parts I turned on a lathe, and I printed my own pinstripe decals for it.

I suspect that when Jeremy started this thread he was expecting seeing models with some aftermarket photoetched pieces added on, but he ended up getting more than that. :D

On 9/24/2020 at 6:54 PM, peteski said:

Thanks!  Yes, tweezers and a stereo-microscope are in my tool arsenal. So is the Optivisor.

Tweezers_zpsc2415612.jpg

Actually, I must be having senior moments - for my model RR hobby I built many photoetched kits in N scale (1:160).  That is quite a bit smaller than the Cobra.  Here are few of those models.

Drag_lineQ.jpg

The boom is a folded photoetched part, rest of the kit is a pewter casting.

15_FordT_01_800.jpg

A 1915 Ford T - all photoetched brass. Well, I did add some styrene parts. The engine block (visible through the louvers) is a block of styrene, and to add depth to the flat headlight castings, I glued pieces of styrene rod to the back of the headlights.  The brass parts also included a rudimentary interior.

This is the most complex photoetched kit I've done:

14KnoxCoin.jpg

A 1914 Knox Chemical Fire Engine.  On this one I added several brass parts I turned on a lathe, and I printed my own pinstripe decals for it.

I suspect that when Jeremy started this thread he was expecting seeing models with some aftermarket photoetched pieces added on, but he ended up getting more than that. :D

Yes!!!!!!! This is amazing!!!! And you're spot on on the last statement hahahaha!!!!

On 9/24/2020 at 2:46 AM, peteski said:

Before final assembly.

And the finished model.

RtFront_zps92107242.jpg

Absolutely beautiful!!

This is a 100% PE model, (minus the 2 plastic engine inserts and landing gear), that requires being glued together.  This is not one of those slot & tab models.  The PE is very soft and easily bent.  Some pieces would bow under their own weight.  It turns into a beautiful model, IMHO.

20190511 202939

20190515 222455

20190519 204509

20190602 201352

20190602 203304

20190602 203545

20190602 203558

6 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

This is a 100% PE model, (minus the 2 plastic engine inserts and landing gear), that requires being glued together.  This is not one of those slot & tab models.  The PE is very soft and easily bent.  Some pieces would bow under their own weight.  It turns into a beautiful model, IMHO.

20190511 202939

20190515 222455

20190519 204509

20190602 201352

20190602 203304

20190602 203545

6 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

Stunning workmanship. What scale is it to give it some size perspectives?

18 hours ago, Spruslayer said:

Stunning workmanship. What scale is it to give it some size perspectives?

15 hours ago, peteski said:

Beautiful model! SR-71 is my favorite aircraft. I love it sexy aquatic-creature-like lines.  Long time ago I built a 1:48 scale model of it.

What scale is it, and who made the kit?  Also, what did you use for glue?

15 hours ago, Dominik said:

Wow - that is awesome!

Thank you, guys!  The model is made by Jasmine Models.  They list it as 1:144 scale but I have no idea if that is accurate.  I used BSI, (Bob Smith Industries), Gold label super glue.  That is the non-fogging type.  I squirt a small amount in a little cup about the size of a Coke bottle lid.  I used a sharpened toothpick to apply the smallest amount I could.  It was a very tedious and sometimes nerve racking build.  It is VERY fragile.

41 minutes ago, Nacho Z said:

Thank you, guys!  The model is made by Jasmine Models.  They list it as 1:144 scale but I have no idea if that is accurate.  I used BSI, (Bob Smith Industries), Gold label super glue.  That is the non-fogging type.  I squirt a small amount in a little cup about the size of a Coke bottle lid.  I used a sharpened toothpick to apply the smallest amount I could.  It was a very tedious and sometimes nerve racking build.  It is VERY fragile.

Thanks John!  If you didn't use it, BSI accelerator would have likely made the tedious job easier and quicker.  CA glue and accelerator are indispensable items on my hobby bench.

I also use home-made glue applicators (which I mentioned in another thread no too long ago).  The Micro Brushes are for applying the accelerator.

CA_applicators.jpg

Three different photoetched kits.  All by a Japanese company called Aerobase. I got them when I was in Japan 15 years ago but they are still available on Amazon of all places.  A bit on the expensive side but then I am an old guy and remember when they were $50 and I thought that was expensive!

PXL_20201001_180030514.jpg

PXL_20201001_180120556.jpg

PXL_20201001_180201609.jpg

PXL_20201001_180258273.jpg

PXL_20201001_180526245.jpg

PXL_20201001_180655624.jpg

• 2 months later...