Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
ReduitRetro

Big Scale "BigCam" Pete 359 ( Entry 2) In The Raw

Recommended Posts

Hello again gang! Sorry for the delay in uploads, but we all know how things can go when life continues to get in the way of plans. I've basically completed the engine at this point, and with the recommendation of Ron from my earlier post, I did go ahead and decide to do a variant of the Cummins BigCam , and done the somewhat infamous NTC-475 Twin Turbo. As stated in my last post, I simply did not want to use the kit supplied Cat 3408, so feeling adventurous, I decided to scratch build a Cummins instead. Lots of work went in to this engine, with everything being made , or highly modified to represent the exterior components on the engine. Items such as the coolant manifold, oil cooler, water pump, after cooler, hydraulic steering pump, exhaust manifold, a/c compressor, belt pulleys, brackets, hoses and piping, fuel lines, etc...all hand to be hand fabricated. These pics are all of the completed work in bare plastic (in the raw). So please stay tuned for my next upload, as the engine will be painted, and somewhat weathered. Again, thanks for your continued interest.

2020-09-23_20_47_24.jpg

2020-09-23_20_40_27.jpg

2020-09-23_20_42_34.jpg

2020-09-23_20_43_44.jpg

2020-09-23_20_41_24.jpg

2020-09-23_20_41_50.jpg

2020-09-23_20_42_13.jpg

2020-09-23_20_41_07.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, you boys are good at these engines... That's some pretty awesome work... Very nice...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad I clicked to see what this is!  I don't do trucks, but everything you did could carry over to any subject.  Amazing work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW!!! Call me impressed!! Details!! Details!! From the a/c compressor to the tensioner bolt on the back side of the idler pulley. I’ve never thought of doing a project like this. Great idea, excellent work, amazing results!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Reduitretro

  WOW! Very impressive looking engine. You did a great job on it. The details look just right, but don't forget the lines from the air compressor to the water manifolds, other then that you knocked it out of the park!

Ron G 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very impressive!  I'm guessing that this is 1/16?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ShakyCraftsman said:

Hey Reduitretro

  WOW! Very impressive looking engine. You did a great job on it. The details look just right, but don't forget the lines from the air compressor to the water manifolds, other then that you knocked it out of the park!

Ron G 

Yes, it appears I did forget those lines. From pictures it looks like one line goes into the water pump itself, or the block just behind it, and the other to the water manifold as you stated, at the forward coolant manifold bypass tube junction block. I will add these lines, as I need to better replicate the a/c compressor mounting brackets and the aftercooler inlet tube before I begin painting. Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jim B said:

Very impressive!  I'm guessing that this is 1/16?

Thanks for the feedback, yes this is 1/16 scale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem, your welcome. Any time you need something let me know,  if I can help I will.

Ron G 

Edited by ShakyCraftsman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 5:10 AM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

WOW!!! Call me impressed!! Details!! Details!! From the a/c compressor to the tensioner bolt on the back side of the idler pulley. I’ve never thought of doing a project like this. Great idea, excellent work, amazing results!

Thankyou!..you do indeed have a very good eye there noticing that tensioner pulley bolt!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello again everyone, I have pretty much completed the engine at this point, and will be setting it aside to turn my attention to the rest of this truck build. As stated earlier, this engine is indeed 95% scratch built with the exception of a few modified components from the kit supplied Cat 3408 V8. This particular 1/16 scale Cummins NTC-475 Twin Turbo inline 6 features parts such as: Horton pneumatic fan clutch, Holset turbochargers, York a/c compressor, Fleetgaurd fuel and oil filters, Delco Remy alternator, and AlliedSignal air compressor to name a few. Once installed in the truck it will of course be plumbed and wired, as well as the chassis. As you can see the engine was slightly weathered, as I really wanted it to appear to have had some miles on it since its last "in frame" service. Thanks again for following along on this build, and your feedback, comments, and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

20201011_131423.jpg

20201011_131300.jpg

20201011_131514.jpg

20201011_131350.jpg

20201011_131217.jpg

20201011_132109.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW,WOW,WOW!!!! That this looks great. You did a great job on that, very inspiring. Just Fantastic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Truly amazing! Your attention to detail is second to none. The weathering looks spot on! I especially like the hose going to the compressor. It looks like the real thing with the paint coming of showing the pattern in the hose.

This looks like the real thing!

So what kind of oil are you going to run in this thing? Maybe Rotella?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Truly amazing! Your attention to detail is second to none. The weathering looks spot on! I especially like the hose going to the compressor. It looks like the real thing with the paint coming of showing the pattern in the hose.

This looks like the real thing!

So what kind of oil are you going to run in this thing? Maybe Rotella?

Lol!...thank you sir, I got lucky with the hose material you mentioned. It is the elastic string that new clothing, shoes, etc, would have attaching their sales or info tags. It comes in several different sizes, and I normally use it for glad hand hoses on my 1/25 scale builds. And no, I've only used Chevron Delo 400 in this engine since new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HOLY BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH! ReduitRetro that thing is ASSUME! I only hope my mere 1/25 scale one will look as good. 

  What do you plan on using for wheels and tires on this rig? If you look at my post on my Pete 359 heavy haul.  I have it all modelled up on Unigraphics NX11, which means I can 3D print anything from it in 1/16 scale, like the Bridgestone tires and wheels, etc. Drop me a PM and we can discuss price's on printing stuff.

Ron G 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 9:05 PM, ShakyCraftsman said:

HOLY BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH! ReduitRetro that thing is ASSUME! I only hope my mere 1/25 scale one will look as good. 

  What do you plan on using for wheels and tires on this rig? If you look at my post on my Pete 359 heavy haul.  I have it all modelled up on Unigraphics NX11, which means I can 3D print anything from it in 1/16 scale, like the Bridgestone tires and wheels, etc. Drop me a PM and we can discuss price's on printing stuff.

Ron G 

Thanks again Ron, I will be using the stock tires in the kit for steers, and later on for the trailer, as I plan to scratch build a food grade tanker for the completed truck. I cant remember the seller on Ebay without looking, but I purchased a set of Peterbilt "oval" holed styled wheels, and another seller had "lugged" drives that I also purchased. I don't know if I will use the stock bumper, or a Texas bumper, or the stock air cleaners or Vortex units. The bumper would be easy to make, but the Vortex air cleaners would be nice to have if you can 3D print those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey James 

  If you send me a picture/drawing of a Vortex air cleaner with some dimensions I can model it in Cad and the print it. I used the air cleaners that came in the Revell 1/25 Peterbilt kit to model the ones I used on my cad model. There the same as the ones in there 1/16 scale kits, but there are two of them.

Ron G 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ShakyCraftsman said:

Hey James 

  If you send me a picture/drawing of a Vortex air cleaner with some dimensions I can model it in Cad and the print it. I used the air cleaners that came in the Revell 1/25 Peterbilt kit to model the ones I used on my cad model. There the same as the ones in there 1/16 scale kits, but there are two of them.

Ron G 

Yes, I will be using dual air cleaners on this build, I have an old Ebay junkyard build I bought several years ago just for spare parts. From just casually looking at Vortex air cleaners, they appear to be basically the same size around as the one in the kit, but a little taller in profile, mainly because of the outer polished intake screen between the main canister and the lid. On another subject is the "baby moon" wheel hub covers, I know I want to have them on the drive hubs, but not sure on the steers. Anyway, thanks for your help, and I'll see about getting some dimensions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...